joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to illustrate the whole left/right jet streak topic, I drew up a quick sketch on the 18Z GFS 250mb panel valid early next week. Helps to see it visually. Sandy will be positioned in favorable positions for upward motion in both jet streaks, and other small ones as noted. Rising air occurs in the left exit and right entrance regions. Easy way to remember it, draw an arrow through the streak, where it starts is the entrance, ends is the exit, and the left entrace/exit are on one side, right entrance/exit on the other side.

346qi42.jpg

That track still brings in some serious winds to the tri-state area.

In a storm like this will be the strongest winds will likely be displaced a hundred mile NE of the center so a track over south Jersey is probably the worst case scenario for the nyc area. If it trends even further south then maybe the effects lessen somewhat.

Something I just read in the Mt. Holly briefing package that didn't cross my mind was the potential issue w/ fallen leaves clogging storm drains. Given peak foliage, most trees are likely to lose a ton of leaves throughout the duration of this event, and those leaves will exacerbate flooding concerns. Additionally, travel will be more slippery and hazardous between fallen leaves, strong winds, and heavy rains.

After loading this loop (15mb) of the 18z GFS tropopause forecast..you can track the tropopause disturbance from Hawaii..through the Western US...over Arkansas..and off the coast...that eventually captures Sandy. The tropopause gradient that develops is by far the most impressive i've seen in our area.

http://models.weathe..._globe_anim.gif

I wonder how much further west this can realistically go. I would think unless it makes a sharp left turn off the coast of NC that the VA/NC is probably the furthest south it could make landfall.

I think the NHC illustrates that as well with their cone from va to new england. After the limited data ive been tracking i dont think we'll be able to hone in on how soon Sandy is captured and how far south its pulled west and makes landfall for another 36 hours (sat) .

I guess we'll see if the Euro continues the trend or shifts back NE

I think the NHC illustrates that as well with their cone from va to new england. After the limited data ive been tracking i dont think we'll be able to hone in on how soon Sandy is captured and how far south its pulled west and makes landfall for another 36 hours (sat) .

post-175-0-40346800-1351220424_thumb.png

Asymmetric warm core intensification forecasted by the 18Z GFS....

...big time on the CMC...

... and others as well.

I'm beginning to wonder if the wind threat from this being under-forecast.

Agree and it's really interesting to see the models rapidly strengthen the surface low once the phase occurs and the storm loses it's "true" tropical characteristics despite remaining warm core. Can't remember ever seeing anything quite like this.

Archived