wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compromising does not always yield the correct or more correct solution. I know weenies like to think that because in this case compromising would produce a New York Harbor solution but I'd refrain from taking model track averages at this point. Obviously the GFS is having some issues with it's fairly large changes from run to run. The Euro tonight will be very interesting.

The GFS has just been so inconsistent from run to run it's hard to give it much weight. The Euro seems to be moving further and further SW on each run. Really makes you wonder if we end up with a run or two into Virgina or maybe even North Carolina at this point. Luckily we still have a few more days to get this all sorted out. I did think that after the 12z/18z runs today that we were heading towards somewhat of consensus but now I'm not so sure.

The GFS has just been so inconsistent from run to run it's hard to give it much weight. The Euro seems to be moving further and further SW on each run. Really makes you wonder if we end up with a run or two into Virgina or maybe even North Carolina at this point. Luckily we still have a few more days to get this all sorted out. I did think that after the 12z/18z runs today that we were heading towards somewhat of consensus but now I'm not so sure.

I think the trend on the Euro tonight will help us out alot.

The nogaps has almost had the same solution for the last couple of days give or take 50 miles at least it seems that way

This run is a tad SW and very Euro esque.

One thing seems to be clear when looking at QPF fields, and it hasn't really mattered which model you look at, most of the heavy precip ends up on the western side and I'm starting to wonder if we actually don't end up with that much rain. Of course that's assuming this thing follows the NHC forecasted track and we don't get a more direct landfall.

Below is the QPF through hr 180 on the 00z GFS. Notice the sharp cutoff on precip north of where the center comes in.

gfs_namer_180_precip_ptot.gif

So basically the models are all over the place and this thing could actually go out to sea still or make a landfall in the Carolinas thought at 6pm they were saying the models were starting to converge on a salution I guess tonights models changed that idea hopefully the morning models will come back into better agreement..

So basically the models are all over the place and this thing could actually go out to sea still or make a landfall in the Carolinas thought at 6pm they were saying the models were starting to converge on a salution I guess tonights models changed that idea hopefully the morning models will come back into better agreement..

To much model hugging going on. Id say 80 percent chance of a landfall somewhere in Jersey... And regardless of exact landfall this is not pure tropical system there will not be an eye and the strongest ind will be displaced most likely 100 miles or so from the center.

To much model hugging going on. Id say 80 percent chance of a landfall somewhere in Jersey... And regardless of exact landfall this is not pure tropical system there will not be an eye and the strongest ind will be displaced most likely 100 miles or so from the center.

thank you! this is what i was alluding to before with the blending comment. you hit the nail right on the head. the classic center/eyewall landfall point is more relevant for pure tropical systems, not a system like we're about to see with Sandy's transition...

Archived