joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the models have consistently been pushing most of the steadier heavier rain to our south and west and giving us 2-3" which would at least lessen the inland flooding impact. We'll still be dealing with the wind and surge/coastal flooding with a track like this.

I am trying to figure out why. Are these models correct with the rain amounts or are the models struggling?

Wind will be a big deal here...but the storm will be missing for many areas what a typical tropical cyclone would do...such as wind AND torrential rain N/NE of center....and with the wind field so expansive I think the areas south west IN the heaviest rain will see the worst of the storm

Jeff Masters

During September 2012, ocean temperatures off the mid-Atlantic coast in the 5x10° latitude-longitude box between 35 - 40°N, 65 - 75° W were 2.3°F (1.3°C) above average, according to the UK Met Office. This is the 2nd greatest departure from average for ocean temperatures in this region since reliable ocean temperature measurements began over a century ago (all-time record: 2.0°C above average in September 1947.) These unusually warm waters have persisted into October, and will enable Sandy to pull more energy from the ocean than a typical October hurricane. The warm waters will also help increase Sandy's rains, since more water vapor will evaporate into the air from a warm ocean. I expect Sandy will dump the heaviest October rains on record over a large swath of the mid-Atlantic and New England.

Winds tend to underperform on the western side just from my experience, although we're dealing with a different animal here with a west/northwesterly track. Either way I think parts of PA could be hardest hit if it stalls and sits over them for a day and a half and they see a foot of rain in spots.

Wind will be a big deal here...but the storm will be missing for many areas what a typical tropical cyclone would do...such as wind AND torrential rain N/NE of center....and with the wind field so expansive I think the areas south west IN the heaviest rain will see the worst of the storm

The west side will have a lot more rain, but less wind and much less surge danger. The east side will have more convective-type rain but much more wind and the threat of surge. I'd much rather take being to the left of the storm than on the right. The surge with these model tracks I suspect will be very severe.

NAM looks like a Belmar landfall and progresses it up to maybe EWR by 0z. That's right around the time of high tide for much of the south shore, and we would have screaming south winds at that point. :axe:

NAM looks like a Belmar landfall and progresses it up to maybe EWR by 0z. That's right around the time of high tide for much of the south shore, and we would have screaming south winds at that point. axesmiley.png

That's going to be the killer on the coastal flooding for Nassau, Suffolk, Kings & Queens counties. East winds piling the water up and then that piled water gets shoved onshore as winds go to the S once the storm goes inland. Bad for the S Shore of LI for sure.

Why are they keep on shifting the cone to the south? Doesn't make any sense.

Maybe because they're using their tropical storm models, the EURO and the sense that they feel the block will keep Sandy south. So yeah, it does kind of make sense. For anyone to base their forecast for this storm on the NAM for instance would be doing it wrong IMO

Maybe because they're using their tropical storm models, the EURO and the sense that they feel the block will keep Sandy south. So yeah, it does kind of make sense. For anyone to base their forecast for this storm on the NAM for instance would be doing it wrong IMO

The euro isn't that far south. Euro ensembles are near A.C.

Archived