• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

Maybe... but the GEFS have been steadily moving in the right direction even though the op was steadfast. The GEFS seems to have taken a giant leap backwards with what they have been doing.

Could be a hiccup... not sure.

Thanks man.

I made a mistake there so edited my post.

iirc the 18z runs are always more questionable (most?) - since it ingests data from earlier. also, the 12z op gfs and ens only began to shift west, so perhaps it was only beginning to latch onto a more reasonable solution.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00:15:00Z 18.600N 76.233W 697.0 mb

(~ 20.58 inHg) 2,883 meters

(~ 9,459 feet) 968.7 mb

(~ 28.61 inHg) - From 230° at 95 knots

(From the SW at ~ 109.2 mph) 15.2°C

(~ 59.4°F) 7.6°C

(~ 45.7°F) 96 knots

(~ 110.4 mph) 70 knots

(~ 80.5 mph) 1 mm/hr

(~ 0.04 in/hr) 69.3 knots (~ 79.7 mph)

Category One Hurricane 72.9%

Can you imagine the state of Kevin's mind if this thing didn't happen ?

wow. abject terror -

He'd probably 5 ppd himself!

The members are still a little indecisive on what to do with Sandy as I think (and Ryan alluded to) they are seeing a weakness to help escape NE. This causes it to just miss the S/W allowing it to capture. I don't think the GFS is entirely correct in playing around with the blocking...so it looks suspicious to me. What Kevin is seeing as the "mean" is also a combo of low pressure developing along the inverted trough so it is important to not focus on the MSLP exact location. I mean you can see just from looking at the mean MSLP that we must have large spread. The contours have a lot of space around the lone isobar near the center.

Something of interest to me, is the intensification of Sandy. Deep convection tends to want to drift towards weak spots in the upper level steering flow, so we need to watch for that.

This is just one of many reasons why subtle things can effect the location hundreds of miles downstream in 5-6 days. Luckily, the blocking is progged to be so strong..that it is possible to have a margin of error...but that margin of error is not indefinite.

But same said release of latent heat being exhausted by the TC would tend to feed the ridge upstream of the TC, too

I thought you said the GFS didn't make sense? Do more of the members look like they make sense to you in order to make the mean make sense?

I saw your "NW CT" comment in the other grhead, Chris--you're in Storrs 2/3 of the year. :)

Once again..it seems like we would be much better off if the GFS didn't exist. We have a general concensus with every other model and because so many worship it...it is given way too much credence

We do? I think the 12z EC would differ on that statement.

Archived