amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll settle for low-40s Friday night. Maybe we can squeeze out a 39. Very little chance at frost this early - even up at BDR the first 36F temperature has a 30% chance of occurring by the 12th of October (each additional 10% in probability equates to 3 days later at BDR).

I think many places in low lying areas will have scattered frost, remember pics or it did not happen, I am hoping to write Kevins names in frost on my windshield! (and the date and time of course)

I think many places in low lying areas will have scattered frost, remember pics or it did not happen, I am hoping to write Kevins names in frost on my windshield! (and the date and time of course)

There will be frost in Fairfield County. I'd be surprised if it happens in the 95 corridor, but back country, and places like New Canaan, Wilton, just about anyone from the parkway (which roughly divides the northern and southern Fairfield County zones) north should be able to do it. This is a run of the mill cold air mass for mid-October, and frost and freezes aren't unusual for the date (in fact we're running a little late in Connecticut this year).

I hope this rain isn't going to be ongoing all day...I have to go to a few places. it always has to rain out when I have things to do.

Of course Friday night will have to be freezing. Now I'll have to wear my winter jacket to the Whale game. It pisses me off b/c it's a major pain to bring it and carry it around. I usually try not to but i hate walking and shivering like a cat going into shock.

:cry::violin::baby:

Hahaha this is too good... watch this SkitheEast.net weather video from Tim Kelley from this morning.

At 30 seconds in...

"This is the track we want for snow in southern New England... but who really cares about snow in southern New England."

http://www.skitheeast.net/posts/id/1643260318/tim-kelley-snowcast-october-week-2

This outta get you guys going...

Discuss.

Hahaha this is too good... watch this SkitheEast.net weather video from Tim Kelley from this morning.

At 30 seconds in...

"This is the track we want for snow in southern New England... but who really cares about snow in southern New England."

http://www.skitheeas...-october-week-2

This outta get you guys going...

Discuss.

In a ski forum why would SNE matter, it does matter to your bosses though.

I'll settle for low-40s Friday night. Maybe we can squeeze out a 39. Very little chance at frost this early - even up at BDR the first 36F temperature has a 30% chance of occurring by the 12th of October (each additional 10% in probability equates to 3 days later at BDR).

Yeah its still pretty early for most of CT, RI, and parts of MA to see a solid frost. Maybe in a few weeks.

Looking at a low near 25 up here

Some average first frost / freeze dates across Connecticut...

BDR - Oct 18 / Nov 4

Burlington - Sep 28 / Oct 10

Danbury - Sep 26 / Oct 9

Falls Village - Sep 16 / Sep 27

Groton - Oct 8 / Oct 19

BDL - Sep 30 / Oct 9

Mansfield Hollow Lake - Sep 20 / Oct 1

Norfolk 2 SW - Sep 22 / Oct 5

Norwich Pub Util Plant - Sep 29 / Oct 11

Shepaug Dam - Sep 28 / Oct 5

Stamford 5 N - Oct 1 / Oct 12

Storrs - Oct 2 / Oct 16

West Thompson Lake - Sep 19 / Oct 2

Data from NCDC publication Climatography of the U.S. No. 20.

We're all too smart to fall for this GFS bs. :whistle:

OK, stupid question here, but why does the GFS go out 16 days? (at least, since that's what the posted forecast was)

Not being snarky, just curious. What's the value of pushing it out that far? Is there any residual info left in the forecast at that point?

OK, stupid question here, but why does the GFS go out 16 days? (at least, since that's what the posted forecast was)

Not being snarky, just curious. What's the value of pushing it out that far? Is there any residual info left in the forecast at that point?

there is no value at all OP GFS past day 8 is a crapshoot..ensembles give you a better idea on days 8-16..but to look at the OP GFS past day 8 is entertainment

GEFS? You need something to run ensemble perturbations off of. Then you have other global scale features that some would argue it has some skill in. d16 is definitely a crapshoot synoptically, but no met would seriously put stock in any details it shows past d10. If every run in the extended keeps showing similar teleconnection indices then maybe that is something you have to keep in the back of your mind as well. Other than that, it provides us plenty of nerdy meteorological laughs.

I'll also add that it is valuable to keep pushing the envelope with modeling. We continually improve resolution, initialization, modeling equations, etc and we see the improvements yearly in the error scores. In the mid 90s, d7 on the MRF was probably closer to our d9 or so now.

The GFS shouldn't be run out to 1 day. Noone should be using it for any of their forecasts. It is garbage

Archived