• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

Heavy, heavy snow grains. I had a little over 10:1 from that despite 2m temps in the mid 10s while the snow fell.

I'll take the over for him. Let's use KCTTOLLA4 on WU for verification.

NAM is pretty darn cold 2m temps but the Euro is about 4F warmer or so. Euro is probably like a 33F low or so here and NAM is maybe 28-29F. This difference can be seen in the 850 temps too...-8C gets into northern third of NH/VT on the NAM while the Euro gets only to about the border.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean skin temps? It depends on what time of the day it is. Usually the skin sfc is warmer than 2m during the day due to insolation and cooler at night from radiational cooling.

So when composing a temp forecast what would be a better indicator to look at, skin temp or 2M temp?

For example, yesterday's 18z NAM bufkit for PDX had a peak 2M temp for today of about 71F and the skin sfc temp was about 81-82F. The high so far today was in the mid 60's so I'm assuming 2M is better to use?

I'd use today's data (trying to make a temp forecast for tomorrow) but for some reason the bufkit data I'm getting for there is yesterday's runs and I have about 8 min to put something in.

Heavy, heavy snow grains. I had a little over 10:1 from that despite 2m temps in the mid 10s while the snow fell.

I'll take the over for him. Let's use KCTTOLLA4 on WU for verification.

I honestly take into consideration that temp discrepancy. He'll have like 29 or so and it might be 31. I really don't understand how he can be colder than KORH on NW CAA. No offense to him because he gets mad, but serious question.

So when composing a temp forecast what would be a better indicator to look at, skin temp or 2M temp?

For example, yesterday's 18z NAM bufkit for PDX had a peak 2M temp for today of about 71F and the skin sfc temp was about 81-82F. The high so far today was in the mid 60's so I'm assuming 2M is better to use?

I'd use today's data (trying to make a temp forecast for tomorrow) but for some reason the bufkit data I'm getting for there is yesterday's runs and I have about 8 min to put something in.

All official temp readings are taken at 2m. Just ignore the skin/sfc numbers.

I honestly take into consideration that temp discrepancy. He'll have like 29 or so and it might be 31. I really don't understand how he can be colder than KORH on NW CAA. No offense to him because he gets mad, but serious question.

Does UHI have any effect? Not that ORH is in the middle of a concrete jungle...

Best storm of the season now...lightning, high winds, very heavy rain. Power out in some parts of town and even in the valley the flags are straight out. I bet we've gusted over 40mph a couple times. Leaves are actually forming drifts, lol.

I didn't see this coming...pretty solid FROPA.

Lightning in ME too. Pretty strong s/w moving through right now, forcing this line.

Best storm of the season now...lightning, high winds, very heavy rain. Power out in some parts of town and even in the valley the flags are straight out. I bet we've gusted over 40mph a couple times. Leaves are actually forming drifts, lol.

I didn't see this coming...pretty solid FROPA.

Looks pretty "meh" on radar, but cool that it is interesting

Does UHI have any effect? Not that ORH is in the middle of a concrete jungle...

Nothing really to the NW of ORH that would taint it. I think Will said there may be a runway to the NW, but in times of weaker solar insolation like we have now..I don't think it would have an effect on the thermometer. Maybe Blizz's thermo is correct..we don't know for sure, but I scratch my head sometimes.

Looks pretty "meh" on radar, but cool that it is interesting

Yeah that's why I was so surprised. Fire and Rescue has been called out to two locations due to trees/branches on powerlines. The wind was the surprise...that doesn't show up on a quick radar glance.

But I love that we are getting to the time of year when strong CAA mixes wind down very easily. It really felt like a winter squall line when you are left with honkin' NW winds and blowing snow, except in this case it's blowing leaves lol. It may not be severe wind but love those cold season FROPAs with pulsing 30-40mph NW winds.

Nothing really to the NW of ORH that would taint it. I think Will said there may be a runway to the NW, but in times of weaker solar insolation like we have now..I don't think it would have an effect on the thermometer. Maybe Blizz's thermo is correct..we don't know for sure, but I scratch my head sometimes.

If it runs 1-2F low, maybe that's why we never hear what his backyard temp is in the summer...only BDL. His Td is the opposite and 1-2F too warm so that can be posted in the summer, just not the ambient temp ;)

With so many mesonet sites out there this days, it's pretty easy to see who runs a little high and a little low. One hill at 1000ft won't be 2-3F colder than the neighboring hill at 1000ft in a windy CAA environment. With radiational cooling though it could be all over the place, but with wind and advection, it really should be pretty uniform.

Yeah that's why I was so surprised. Fire and Rescue has been called out to two locations due to trees/branches on powerlines. The wind was the surprise...that doesn't show up on a quick radar glance.

But I love that we are getting to the time of year when strong CAA mixes wind down very easily. It really felt like a winter squall line when you are left with honkin' NW winds and blowing snow, except in this case it's blowing leaves lol. It may not be severe wind but love those cold season. FROPAs with pulsing 30-40mph NW winds.

sweet enjoy your 4-6 upslope windex

Archived