northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a kid in a candy store...I don't know why I ever doubt snowfall on this mountain. I was skeptical going to bed last night, and with models only showing 0.1" of QPF, I was only hopeful for a coating (heck for days the GFS didn't even have measurable up here). However, betting against Mansfield is usually not a good idea as I found out once again.

8am at 3,600ft on Mount Mansfield.

IMG_8057_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8068_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8031_edited-1.jpg

Like a kid in a candy store...I don't know why I ever doubt snowfall on this mountain. I was skeptical going to bed last night, and with models only showing 0.1" of QPF, I was only hopeful for a coating (heck for days the GFS didn't even have measurable up here). However, betting against Mansfield is usually not a good idea as I found out once again.

8am at 3,600ft on Mount Mansfield.

IMG_8057_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8068_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8031_edited-1.jpg

Nice! Must feel good to hear the crunching of snow underfoot. Love the pic of snow on the tree boughs.

Nice! Must feel good to hear the crunching of snow underfoot. Love the pic of snow on the tree boughs.

Yeah it really was nice to be surrounded by white for 8 hours... the squeaking of snow under boots... and when I first got up there it was snowing pretty good still, so nice to see flakes flying.

It really must've come down good for a period last night (probably 1"/hr) to have accumulated that much with marginal near 32F temps.

Any word on the euro weeklies?

Weeklies were sort of mild week 3 but cooled week 4. Week 3 had a Stron trough modeled over the PAC NW which warms us. Week 4 had more rocky mtn ridging which in turn cooled us. Week 3 and 4 had weak + height anomalies from AK right into the N pole and part of Greenland. No real blocking per se, but not bad.

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

935 AM CDT MON OCT 8 2012

...NEW RECORD COLD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT OKLAHOMA CITY...

THE OFFICIAL LOW TEMPERATURE THIS MORNING AT WILL ROGERS WORLD

AIRPORT IN OKLAHOMA CITY WAS 31 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS

RECORD LOW OF 34 DEGREES...WHICH WAS SET ON THIS DATE IN 2000.

THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE EARLIEST FALL FREEZE ON RECORD FOR OKLAHOMA

CITY. THE PREVIOUS EARLIEST FALL FREEZE WAS ON OCTOBER 9 BACK IN

TEMPERATURE RECORDS FOR OKLAHOMA CITY DATE BACK TO 1891.

Archived