joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...yeah, I'd say that's big hill. It helps the closer the hill is and lower the sun angle.

Yeah its funny, I love watching it on the mesonet... the locations to the west of RT 100 will drop quickly in the evening (like up to 15F cooler) than the spots on the east side of RT 100 which are still out in the sun. Of course it all evens out by morning, but its funny to watch during that time when some areas are in the shadow of Mansfield and others are still seeing sun.

On October 1st I'm trying to move to a new location closer to Mansfield so I'll get more snow but less sunshine ;) Sitting at 1,000ft in the narrow river valley only a couple miles from the Spine, the sun will set here pretty early in the winter with big terrain immediately to the west.

I also want to say that it won't be an all day rain....possibly a break in the aftn. Part of me thinks the euro may be too far east, but we'll see.

It's showers in the morning..cloudy midday..sun by 3:00-4:00

Yeah Steve, it's not easy. My guess is part of the aftn will be ok.

FIngers crossed for the aftn Steve. Morning may be trouble.

Thanks guys much appreciated. Looks like squeegees, brooms and rakes are in order in the AM, just hope no training cells set up over IJD tonight.

Sounds fun...should be chilly on top. :)

I'm not in that kind of shape right now...hah I'm doing a 1600' ascent in the Catskills on Monday (Windham High Peak ..summit is 3500'), but that is my limit right now.

oh, that sounds fun! i've never hiked in the Catskills...they are beautiful though!

Yeah it's not a bad mountain range. 35 peaks over 3500' ..of which I have done 29. Two over 4K.

holy smokes, that's AWESOME!

when i lived out west i hiked a couple of 13'ers and 14'ers...it makes me lol that when i get to the top of Mt Washington, i'm still not as high as the town i lived in, in NV...Ely, NV sits at about 6500ft which is about the valley floor... :)

This will feel nice. Has cool nights in the 40s written all over it.

nam_namer_045_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

First time in a very long time that the Zone Forecast for Stowe doesn't have any highs of 80F or higher forecast. A few mid-40s nights, too.

Saturday: Sunny in the morning...then becoming partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds...becoming northwest around 10 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Monday And Monday Night: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. Lows around 50.

Tuesday: Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.

Wednesday Through Thursday: Mostly clear. Highs in the upper 70s. Lows in the lower 50s.

Thursday Night And Friday: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s. Highs in the upper 70s.

when i lived out west i hiked a couple of 13'ers and 14'ers...it makes me lol that when i get to the top of Mt Washington, i'm still not as high as the town i lived in, in NV...Ely, NV sits at about 6500ft which is about the valley floor... :)

I remember thinking something similar when I was at Logan Pass in Glacier NP...you're higher than Mt Washington but still below treeline. The opposite happens in the southern apps where you're at almost 6700' and you're still not near treeline.

Don't forget that even though you're only at 6288' that the vertical rise is over 4,000' which is the same as many mountains out west. Having hiked some of the 14ers I know that the elevation plays a different role in getting up but if you were to blindfold someone and take then to the top of Pikes Peak or Mt Washington, chances are without any identifying landmarks that they look the same, which they do. They are both treeless piles of rocks!

Well that was over the course of quite a few years. :) The six remaining ones ate bushwhacks..thick foliage, etc. to get through, but maybe I'll do them eventually. I did the Chisos Mtns in southwest TX to around 8500', but you start at maybe 6500'.

Everythings relative. Last Fall I was in Snowdonia, Wales. Mount Snowdon is only around 3500 feet, but pretty impressive rising right off the Irish Sea.

I remember thinking something similar when I was at Logan Pass in Glacier NP...you're higher than Mt Washington but still below treeline. The opposite happens in the southern apps where you're at almost 6700' and you're still not near treeline.

Don't forget that even though you're only at 6288' that the vertical rise is over 4,000' which is the same as many mountains out west. Having hiked some of the 14ers I know that the elevation plays a different role in getting up but if you were to blindfold someone and take then to the top of Pikes Peak or Mt Washington, chances are without any identifying landmarks that they look the same, which they do. They are both treeless piles of rocks!

Gonna miss these 70 degree dews we have tonight the next few days..but at least we know they come back later next week

posted in the NNE thread already...i'm hiking Mt Washingtoon tomorrow...total last minute decision...i'm sure everyone already has plans...but i'd thought i would throw it out there in case any of you were interested in joining the hike...

Enjoy--post some pictures!

Yeah its funny, I love watching it on the mesonet... the locations to the west of RT 100 will drop quickly in the evening (like up to 15F cooler) than the spots on the east side of RT 100 which are still out in the sun. Of course it all evens out by morning, but its funny to watch during that time when some areas are in the shadow of Mansfield and others are still seeing sun.

On October 1st I'm trying to move to a new location closer to Mansfield so I'll get more snow but less sunshine ;) Sitting at 1,000ft in the narrow river valley only a couple miles from the Spine, the sun will set here pretty early in the winter with big terrain immediately to the west.

Good luck with that possible move, Scott. Glad you have the climate priorities in mind as you look at relocation. :)

Good news is that we are on the downswing towards winter...each day we get closer to the promised land and this week should be nice and fall-like.

TORCH!

A beautiful thing.

.42" since the intiital rains began at 7:00 last night.

Archived