• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

Beautiful day in Woodstock, CT... topped out around 80F with mostly sunny skies. Garden rain gage showed somewhere near 2" of rainfall, too. Torrential rain last night and some very close lightning strikes. I see ORH had over 2.5" of rain last night. Impressive and certainly no drought around here given the amount of standing water in areas.

Forecast here looks quite comfortable. No torch from Saturday through Thursday with highs ranging from 73-79F and lows 56-62F.

Windham County:

Saturday: Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday: Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s.

Sunday Night Through Monday Night: Mostly cloudy. Lows around 60. Highs in the upper 70s.

Tuesday Through Wednesday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. Lows around 60.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 60s.

Thursday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montreal is about 2 hours from Stowe...maybe a shade under that when RT 108 is open through Smugglers Notch (May-October). In the winter you have to go south to Waterbury and get on I-89 and then go north.

I spent a lot of time up there my first couple years of college (thanks to drinking age of 18 and Montreal is a great party city) but haven't been up recently. I've been hearing a lot this summer from the Canadian tourists about the waits at customs/border crossing. There's been several times where folks have encountered 2-3 hour waits to cross the border at I-89...taking 4-5 hours to get to Stowe from Montreal.

And I don't get into the politics, haha. I'm here to ski and watch the snow fall :)

I forgot about that. The world isn't as seamless as it once was. Before 9/11 there were rarely waits and you'd have access to a different world of stores that aren't available in the U.S. With waits like that you just can't zip across the border and back again.

I'm glad the weather turned nicer for you visit down here...I wouldn't want you to think that were a hot humid climate like it's sometimes portrayed.

Forecast here looks quite comfortable. No torch from Saturday through Thursday with highs ranging from 73-79F and lows 56-62F.

I'd be interested in your lows over there. I see my station above you in Union is 62. That area radiates well at first but I wind up catching up with it most mornings. e.g. I'm 66 now. There's got to a be place over there that radiates well all night long...you know, a combination of elevation and valley.

I came down from the border on route 100 a few years ago. Lonely border crossing there. But we had purposely gone into the Townships to go to Knowlton...an idyllic village settled mostly by New Englanders ..near Lac Brome.

Montreal is about 2 hours from Stowe...maybe a shade under that when RT 108 is open through Smugglers Notch (May-October). In the winter you have to go south to Waterbury and get on I-89 and then go north.

I spent a lot of time up there my first couple years of college (thanks to drinking age of 18 and Montreal is a great party city) but haven't been up recently. I've been hearing a lot this summer from the Canadian tourists about the waits at customs/border crossing. There's been several times where folks have encountered 2-3 hour waits to cross the border at I-89...taking 4-5 hours to get to Stowe from Montreal.

And I don't get into the politics, haha. I'm here to ski and watch the snow fall :)

My experience lately has been that it's the US border patrol that give you crap with tons of questions etc... You zip right into Canada with almost no questioning.

For instance I was coming back from Hamilton at IAG crossing last Dec. and the girl practically gave me the inquisition about my genealogy work at the libraries there. Was this relevant?

So that lonely border crossing I mentioned on route 100 might actually be a smart idea re-entering the US if you factor in a long wait at the main crossings.

Beautiful day in Woodstock, CT... topped out around 80F with mostly sunny skies. Garden rain gage showed somewhere near 2" of rainfall, too. Torrential rain last night and some very close lightning strikes. I see ORH had over 2.5" of rain last night. Impressive and certainly no drought around here given the amount of standing water in areas.

It's always nice in Woodstock...not like Tolland.

ginx looks to me there is (this far out) a decent shot of getting some swell to the SNE coast from the current tropical wave making it off africa as i type.

nice potential for this to have a strong and large wind field and perhaps be aiming enuf of that swell energy NW (so SE swell) . Something just to ponder now for the late august time frame of a big swell potentially as early as Aug 27/28 and more likely the aug 30/31 time frame. Personally i would enjoy 4-5 foot swell as i'm more into body surfing or sponging....the big surf is nice to gawk at but i really don't have any business in the water should 10-15 + swells be rolling thru.

I will chase local swell as much as Snow. In S FL when we would get a NE/NNE hurricane/nor'easer swell i would paddle out on my board just past one of the outer reefs in delray or north boca into about 15 feet of water.(deeper then where the swells would break) ...would be just awe inspiring to watch roll in .....and every now and again you would see a "clean up set" about to roll thru... . Swells any bigger (although rare there do occur) notable in hurricane isabel (thru a tiny slot in the the bahamian island chain where a 12 mile section of SE florida lit up to 15 feet in swell and just to the north and just to the south was flat. very interesting phenomena on a rare ESE/E swell angle there. the perfect storm was another monster wave maker for sfl ...rare footage youtube clip of swell from the perfect storm along the Palm beach county coast....over 1200 miles away from the storm's winds.....the locals say the swell rose from 5 feet in the am to 20-24 feet faces in the pm.

hurricane bill had similar surf near arcadia national park a few years ago the youtube clip (not of the infamous thunder bay incident that day) but of the 20-25 foot faces show some of the biggest clean swell maine (or anywhere) in SNE has seen in i would say decades

Bill was awesome, I was in this, Misquamicut, separated the vets from the newbies, like skiing a wicked steep chute, the power was unmatched

dbb81a3addcc415f06722ad1be1cf1ad.jpg

Checking in.. Camp move out day is tomorrow, moving into final dorm for the year.

As some as you know I had left shoulder surgery last year because of an on the field injury. Unfortunately, I have now managed to do the same thing to my right shoulder. Probably facing surgery again. Not sure what the future will hold for me now @ Towson/playing football. I am not exactly on the coaches good list for sure. Grades will now be a huge focus for this academic year for me to cover my own azz.

Sorry to hear that, Jay. What did you do to the shoulder? Hang in there!

Might be a lot of rain coming up for SE MA again..lol. Should be nice early next week before more humid air comes in, but it doesn't look all that swampy. Will be a wet pattern going forward...I'm sure at some point we'll have water isses in some areas.

Yup--glad I pushed for next weekend to head to the Cape. Expecting that a beautiful weekend will unfold here in GC.

Archived