• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

I hope the euro op is close to being right. I know there are those who continue to want sweat dripping from crack..but I am all done with summer heat and humidity. Time for some cooler wx.

I think it has it this time....it tried to rush things at first, like usual, but it likely has the right idea now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the euro op is close to being right. I know there are those who continue to want sweat dripping from crack..but I am all done with summer heat and humidity. Time for some cooler wx.

This! Looking pretty nice for up here anyway starting the weekend and into early next week. We'll see--the swamp has been tough to scour out this summer and seems to come back quicker than thought a few days out...

I think it has it this time....it tried to rush things at first, like usual, but it likely has the right idea now.

This! Looking pretty nice for up here anyway starting the weekend and into early next week. We'll see--the swamp has been tough to scour out this summer and seems to come back quicker than thought a few days out...

It will probably come back again as we sort of go back and forth with this pattern, but hopefully some cooler and drier air Sunday into mid week next week. At least nights will be cooler. Days will probably be warm, but nights will be great.

It will probably come back again as we sort of go back and forth with this pattern, but hopefully some cooler and drier air Sunday into mid week next week. At least nights will be cooler. Days will probably be warm, but nights will be great.

I can deal with warm days....just enough with the 70* dews.

I don't think it has been too "swampy" for NNE this summer. Lots of mid 60s dews so far this month with a couple of days in the 70s. The next couple of weeks looks nice though. We've made it into the slow descent into autumn.

You guys are late. I think CON is a little after the equinox on avg with their earliest freezing on record the last day of August.

Late, I guess so, Being in the coastal plain, Our avg is actually Oct 11-20th I would not expect mid to late aug or early Sept frost here unless it was a fluke, The mtns and Northern Maine is another story

Late, I guess so, Being in the coastal plain, Our avg is Oct 3rd, I would not expect mid to late aug or early Sept frost here unless it was a fluke, The mtns and Northern Maine is another story

My frost pocket location average is Sept 18, though last year's Oct 4 (only time in 14 yr that 1st frost wasn't in Sept) skewed it a bit. Farmington COOP probably has averaged a week later than at my place.

My frost pocket location average is Sept 18, though last year's Oct 4 (only time in 14 yr that 1st frost wasn't in Sept) skewed it a bit. Farmington COOP probably has averaged a week later than at my place.

I have seen it on those same date range's here as my wife's b-day is Sept 18 so we have related that event with that day on a few occasions

Are you guys talking about frost (33-36F usually) or freeze (32F or lower)?

Another plug for BTV's website (if any other NWS mets read this), having this type of a wealth of data on a NWS website is great. Here's the freeze climo for BTV's main sites:

cwa_fa.png

BTV has these maps for all their regions but in general our first 32F or lower freeze reading occurs in late September. Here at the Morrisville-Stowe Airport it looks like the average first 32F> is September 27th with the earliest on record being September 11th.

Now this is freezing temperatures though, so frost I would assume could probably be attained about a week earlier (say mid September here).

Note the summer freezes in spots like far NE VT, Mansfield, and the Adirondacks.

Another plug for BTV's website (if any other NWS mets read this), having this type of a wealth of data on a NWS website is great. Here's the freeze climo for BTV's main sites:

cwa_fa.png

BTV has these maps for all their regions but in general our first 32F or lower freeze reading occurs in late September. Here at the Morrisville-Stowe Airport it looks like the average first 32F> is September 27th with the earliest on record being September 11th.

Now this is freezing temperatures though, so frost I would assume could probably be attained about a week earlier (say mid September here).

Note the summer freezes in spots like far NE VT, Mansfield, and the Adirondacks.

Scott, I'm thinking about a move to the stowe area after I graduate. Either there, or out west. Sway my thoughts this winter :)

Also looks like by late in the month, spots in NE VT could start to see freezing temperatures... West Burke looks like it sees a freeze in August 1 or 2 out of every 10 years, with a median freeze by September 8th.

Mount Mansfield has a pretty big window between the 10th and 90th percentiles, from the 18th of August to the 30th of September...of course at the summit they don't radiate and cool like the valleys, so the first freeze is essentially when H85 temps go below 0C.

Scott, I'm thinking about a move to the stowe area after I graduate. Either there, or out west. Sway my thoughts this winter :)

I'll do my best to sway you this season haha. If you don't have a reason to stay in the east, I'd say try out west, but I'm partial and really enjoy the ski scene up in northern VT. I also like being close to family and obviously my job allows me to get paid while skiing so although I would like to try out west, I'm pretty set in my ways here.

You'd really like it up here... only 3 hours from Boston, mostly interstate, and only 3.5 hours to Hartford so you can get home easily.

cwa_fa.png

Frost not Freeze

Checking in.. Camp move out day is tomorrow, moving into final dorm for the year.

As some as you know I had left shoulder surgery last year because of an on the field injury. Unfortunately, I have now managed to do the same thing to my right shoulder. Probably facing surgery again. Not sure what the future will hold for me now @ Towson/playing football. I am not exactly on the coaches good list for sure. Grades will now be a huge focus for this academic year for me to cover my own azz.

Checking in.. Camp move out day is tomorrow, moving into final dorm for the year.

As some as you know I had left shoulder surgery last year because of an on the field injury. Unfortunately, I have now managed to do the same thing to my right shoulder. Probably facing surgery again. Not sure what the future will hold for me now @ Towson/playing football. I am not exactly on the coaches good list for sure. Grades will now be a huge focus for this academic year for me to cover my own azz.

That sucks Jay, Hope everything turns out well for you, Focus on the academics

ginx looks to me there is (this far out) a decent shot of getting some swell to the SNE coast from the current tropical wave making it off africa as i type.

nice potential for this to have a strong and large wind field and perhaps be aiming enuf of that swell energy NW (so SE swell) . Something just to ponder now for the late august time frame of a big swell potentially as early as Aug 27/28 and more likely the aug 30/31 time frame. Personally i would enjoy 4-5 foot swell as i'm more into body surfing or sponging....the big surf is nice to gawk at but i really don't have any business in the water should 10-15 + swells be rolling thru.

I will chase local swell as much as Snow. In S FL when we would get a NE/NNE hurricane/nor'easer swell i would paddle out on my board just past one of the outer reefs in delray or north boca into about 15 feet of water.(deeper then where the swells would break) ...would be just awe inspiring to watch roll in .....and every now and again you would see a "clean up set" about to roll thru... . Swells any bigger (although rare there do occur) notable in hurricane isabel (thru a tiny slot in the the bahamian island chain where a 12 mile section of SE florida lit up to 15 feet in swell and just to the north and just to the south was flat. very interesting phenomena on a rare ESE/E swell angle there. the perfect storm was another monster wave maker for sfl ...rare footage youtube clip of swell from the perfect storm along the Palm beach county coast....over 1200 miles away from the storm's winds.....the locals say the swell rose from 5 feet in the am to 20-24 feet faces in the pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47hmqfXuA3A

hurricane bill had similar surf near arcadia national park a few years ago the youtube clip (not of the infamous thunder bay incident that day) but of the 20-25 foot faces show some of the biggest clean swell maine (or anywhere) in SNE has seen in i would say decades

I'll do my best to sway you this season haha. If you don't have a reason to stay in the east, I'd say try out west, but I'm partial and really enjoy the ski scene up in northern VT. I also like being close to family and obviously my job allows me to get paid while skiing so although I would like to try out west, I'm pretty set in my ways here.

You'd really like it up here... only 3 hours from Boston, mostly interstate, and only 3.5 hours to Hartford so you can get home easily.

Thats the thing...I want to stay closeish but get far away. I need to grow a set.

Unless things have changed, what about Montreal? We were 2 hours from the city when I was at Lyndon and that was out closest big city followed by Boston. I would think you're about 1.5 hours, yes?

N VT is a great location....I just have issues with some of the politics up there.

Unless things have changed, what about Montreal? We were 2 hours from the city when I was at Lyndon and that was out closest big city followed by Boston. I would think you're about 1.5 hours, yes?

N VT is a great location....I just have issues with some of the politics up there.

And only need to be 18 to have a few pops up there............. :drunk:

Montreal is about 2 hours from Stowe...maybe a shade under that when RT 108 is open through Smugglers Notch (May-October). In the winter you have to go south to Waterbury and get on I-89 and then go north.

I spent a lot of time up there my first couple years of college (thanks to drinking age of 18 and Montreal is a great party city) but haven't been up recently. I've been hearing a lot this summer from the Canadian tourists about the waits at customs/border crossing. There's been several times where folks have encountered 2-3 hour waits to cross the border at I-89...taking 4-5 hours to get to Stowe from Montreal.

And I don't get into the politics, haha. I'm here to ski and watch the snow fall :)

Thats the thing...I want to stay closeish but get far away. I need to grow a set.

Come up and enjoy the upslope for a season. We're bound to get a couple big events each season. Enjoy snow reports like this on December 7th:

That was how we jump started the 2010-2011 season in early December:

Archived