joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll drive over to Tolland and give you a high-five if the sun is out by 1pm.

It may be close...though the band of clouds is crawling now and moving more NE than E.

Nice orographic clouds blowing up over the NW Adirondacks and across the Greens back home... looks like a beautiful early fall day back home in N.VT with highs in the low 70s and dews falling into the 40s.

Sun is out and it's 11:10...High fives and afew beers?

Got a few blue breaks but still 80% cloud cover... this is the type of thing that LL takes a picture of a small patch of blue sky amid mostly cloudy skies and its the best day ever ;)

I gotta imagine it keeps clearing slowly though, definitely earlier than I was expecting based on BOX's forecast and AFD.

Got a few blue breaks but still 80% cloud cover... this is the type of thing that LL takes a picture of a small patch of blue sky amid mostly cloudy skies and its the best day ever ;)

I gotta imagine it keeps clearing slowly though, definitely earlier than I was expecting based on BOX's forecast and AFD.

The KFS was phenomenal on this forecast from yesterday.. Ginx and The Grinch down in Shelton should be grateful.

we've broken the back of summer. i'm sure we'll get another couple of warm/hot days but for the most part...it's downhill now. climo obviously supports that but just not seeing anything right now that favors big warm anomalies anytime soon.

Yeah I feel good about no more 90F days here...I'm sure places like BDL will have a few more. BOS might be done also. The heat ridge does not look like it wants to make another run east on the euro ensembles. It may die its slow death out west with some occasional intrusions to the southeast.

I was actually just reading over the October threads leading up to the storm to get back in the right mindset....where tracking models actually mattered rather than wondering if a dewpoint is going to be 66F versus 70F.

Nothing beats the model tracking. Unfortunately it was really the only time last year we could seriously model track save maybe the Feb 29-Mar 1 events that took like 40 hours to accumulate 8-9" of snow.

Should be some nice overnight lows tonight

My house in the Poconos at 1500' is supposed to have a low of 46F. I assume similar in your neck of the woods.

The projected low for Dobbs Ferry is 59F. I think that would be the first time below 60F since late June when we had several cool nights in the lower 50s. This is not too surprising, however, as the average low in mid-late July here is 66F, so it has to be a decent cold snap to drop into the 50s during the heart of summer. Considering that July was +2.3 and August has been very humid so far, that hasn't happened. From a climo standpoint, this is when we usually start to experience temperatures in the 50s. I expect some 40s in Westchester by mid-September.

Yeah I feel good about no more 90F days here...I'm sure places like BDL will have a few more. BOS might be done also. The heat ridge does not look like it wants to make another run east on the euro ensembles. It may die its slow death out west with some occasional intrusions to the southeast.

I was actually just reading over the October threads leading up to the storm to get back in the right mindset....where tracking models actually mattered rather than wondering if a dewpoint is going to be 66F versus 70F.

Nothing beats the model tracking. Unfortunately it was really the only time last year we could seriously model track save maybe the Feb 29-Mar 1 events that took like 40 hours to accumulate 8-9" of snow.

We all love snow and winter..but you have to get learn to appreciate and like other kinds of wx. Summer, heat, storms,,etc..It's not healthy to live ,breathe snow all year..when in reality we have 2-3 months where we get it consistantly

We all love snow and winter..but you have to get learn to appreciate and like other kinds of wx. Summer, heat, storms,,etc..It's not healthy to live ,breathe snow all year..when in reality we have 2-3 months where we get it consistantly

We get like 100+ days worth of 75F+ highs per year...they don't excite me like a winter storm. Sorry, that's just the reality. I'm glad you love the 70F dewpoints, but they don't do it for me unless you get the rare once in a decade high end severe wx outbreak. My times in Texas probably make me a severe wx snob...nickel sized hail isn't exciting to me.

Snow runs in my blood.

Archived