• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

Yeah I feel good about no more 90F days here...I'm sure places like BDL will have a few more. BOS might be done also. The heat ridge does not look like it wants to make another run east on the euro ensembles. It may die its slow death out west with some occasional intrusions to the southeast.

I was actually just reading over the October threads leading up to the storm to get back in the right mindset....where tracking models actually mattered rather than wondering if a dewpoint is going to be 66F versus 70F.

Nothing beats the model tracking. Unfortunately it was really the only time last year we could seriously model track save maybe the Feb 29-Mar 1 events that took like 40 hours to accumulate 8-9" of snow.

That's one of my favorite things to do in the summer... just read a few pages of storm threads every once in a while. Its so much more exciting than the heat vs. no heat stuff we deal with in the summer. Also seems like there's less of an "agenda" from everyone as we're all so busy digesting data and looking for the next model run.

The threads leading up to October were great...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one of my favorite things to do in the summer... just read a few pages of storm threads every once in a while. Its so much more exciting than the heat vs. no heat stuff we deal with in the summer. Also seems like there's less of an "agenda" from everyone as we're all so busy digesting data and looking for the next model run.

The threads leading up to October were great...

http://www.americanw...i/page__st__350

There was some awful forecasts before that storm. So many TV stations had like 3-6" the day before the storm. Its as if they didn't believe any of the guidance and just because it was October they refused to forecast big amounts.

There was some awful forecasts before that storm. So many TV stations had like 3-6" the day before the storm. Its as if they didn't believe any of the guidance and just because it was October they refused to forecast big amounts.

Here's our forecast the day before. Worked out pretty well except I needed a 12-20" contour from HFD points north and west.snow.jpg

Well once Sept comes I make the switch from lover of heat to ready for cold. Unless we can get another Labor Day derecho then I would want high dews, . We had a very humid summer so I'm happy but it's almost time to make the flip. The time of year is almost upon us.

I would rather have a 100+F day than a day where dews were 74F

td is so boring

My house in the Poconos at 1500' is supposed to have a low of 46F. I assume similar in your neck of the woods.

The projected low for Dobbs Ferry is 59F. I think that would be the first time below 60F since late June when we had several cool nights in the lower 50s. This is not too surprising, however, as the average low in mid-late July here is 66F, so it has to be a decent cold snap to drop into the 50s during the heart of summer. Considering that July was +2.3 and August has been very humid so far, that hasn't happened. From a climo standpoint, this is when we usually start to experience temperatures in the 50s. I expect some 40s in Westchester by mid-September.

Yeah nice cold night coming up... back at home the forecast is for a low of 42F for 800ft in the valley in Stowe Village:

Tonight: Clear. Patchy dense fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Should also see some 30s in the usual cold spots of far NE VT and the valleys around the High Peaks of the Adirondacks.

Yeah nice cold night coming up... back at home the forecast is for a low of 42F for 800ft in the valley in Stowe Village:

Tonight: Clear. Patchy dense fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Should also see some 30s in the usual cold spots of far NE VT and the valleys around the High Peaks of the Adirondacks.

Today's weather had me thinking about getting my bindings mounted on the new boards pretty soon. Always hard to resist the temptation to break em out too early in the season.

Didn't even really think about it. I thought 6-12 was ballsy lol.

I know. I still am in awe of that storm today.

I can't believe how cold that storm was. Usually in October snow (which is rare enough anyway) we are screwing around with -1C to -2C 850s and trying to squeeze an inch or two out of it....this was like -8C 850s in the commahead, lol.

Today's weather had me thinking about getting my bindings mounted on the new boards pretty soon. Always hard to resist the temptation to break em out too early in the season.

Haha yeah it starts to get brutal here soon... looking at the ski trails off in the distance out my bedroom window, yearning for that first morning when you can see white up on the hill. Working there and being on the hill quite a bit helps, but all day long I find my brain wandering to thinking about snow. You start to see the ski shops advertising early season sales and stuff like that along the road...advertising tunings and sharpenings, etc. The anticipation in a ski town in the fall is hard to describe.

BOX in their AFD has all day rains for all of SNE Monday..while the zone forecast has sunny and temps around 80..LOL...all day rains

Where does it say that about all day? I only see "extensive cloud cover and rain".

MONDAY...LOW PRESSURE TRAVELS SOUTHEAST OF NANTUCKET...RIGHT OVER

THE 40/70 BENCHMARK THAT WE USE SO MUCH IN THE WINTERTIME. THIS

WILL BRING RAIN TO MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. AS STATED ABOVE...

THE NAM DOES HAVE A DIFFERENT SOLUTION WITH HIGH PRESSURE WELL IN

PLACE OVER THE AREA AND DRY WEATHER. THIS IS AN OUTLIER SOLUTION

THOUGH SO WILL USE A BLEND OF THE GFS/ECMWF FOR THE FORECAST DURING

THIS TIME PERIOD. INSTABILITY IS MARGINAL...PARTICULARLY AT THE

SURFACE SO DO NOT THINK THERE WILL BE WIDESPREAD THUNDERSTORMS.

HOWEVER...MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE STEEP ENOUGH THAT THERE COULD BE

SOME ELEVATED THUNDER. WILL EXTEND CHANCE POPS AND KEEP ISOLATED TO

SLIGHT CHANCE THUNDER IN THE FORECAST. WITH EXTENSIVE CLOUD COVER

AND RAIN...EXPECT TEMPERATURES TO BE SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL.

The rain on Monday is dependent on that low...which may be more of convective blob near the center and not too much else like we normally see this time of year. Just depends where it tracks. You don't get much WAA rains since the temp advection mechanisms are weak well away from the center.

What a sicko Kevin was in that October thread...he kept rooting for power outages, lol.

At least he got what he wished for in the end.

LOL..I was so worried about powder snow here. I so wanted it to stay wet..I still remember my post about how the dew shot up to 31-32 after it started snowing, so I knew I was good.

The first 9-10 inches fell with temps at 31-32..The last 2-3 inches it fell into the 29-30 degree range..but by then damage was catostrophic..though the higher elevation here def made a difference in snow consistency to areas lower in elly

LOL..I was so worried about powder snow here. I so wanted it to stay wet..I still remember my post about how the dew shot up to 31-32 after it started snowing, so I knew I was good.

The first 9-10 inches fell with temps at 31-32..The last 2-3 inches it fell into the 29-30 degree range..but by then damage was catostrophic..though the higher elevation here def made a difference in snow consistency to areas lower in elly

Once you get about 4" of wet snow with a lot of leaves still on the trees, its over for the power outages and tree damage....anything after that is just piling on.

Megan's area had a ton of tree damage and "only" about 6" of paste. The tree damage was actually worse there than up in winter hill where 17 inches fell...partly because more leaves on the trees lower down, wetter snow, and the "pruning effect" that the 2008 ice storm did.

Once you get about 4" of wet snow with a lot of leaves still on the trees, its over for the power outages and tree damage....anything after that is just piling on.

Megan's area had a ton of tree damage and "only" about 6" of paste. The tree damage was actually worse there than up in winter hill where 17 inches fell...partly because more leaves on the trees lower down, wetter snow, and the "pruning effect" that the 2008 ice storm did.

There were many places in CT esp in the valley and even some friends here in town who live around 500 feet..where power went out after the first inch of snow. They lost power at like 2-3:00 in the afternoon..whereas..I didn't lose mine until 10:00-11:00 that nite

There were many places in CT esp in the valley and even some friends here in town who live around 500 feet..where power went out after the first inch of snow. They lost power at like 2-3:00 in the afternoon..whereas..I didn't lose mine until 10:00-11:00 that nite

Yeah if the snow is wet enough, you can lose it in just 1-2 inches with the extra leaves on the trees too. Lower down had more leaf coverage which certainly aided in the power outages. It was a double whammy for the valley...higher water content snow and more foliage.

Yeah if the snow is wet enough, you can lose it in just 1-2 inches with the extra leaves on the trees too. Lower down had more leaf coverage which certainly aided in the power outages. It was a double whammy for the valley...higher water content snow and more foliage.

And more snow.

Archived