• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Severe weather thread number ...I think X ?

Typhoon Tip

Admittedly :weenie:

but I like that the trend for the initial surge near dawn has been further and further north. I'm hoping that we are commenting how lousy the radar looks coming off the lakes in the early AM hours.

Should that stuff stay all north of the MA/VT border and the currently depicted disjointed back-end in fact be a distinct (and delayed) second line, I could see us getting some differential heating near outflow from part A in the morning and having a strong line come through around noon or something.

Later on I'm certainly not too bullish for this area though.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Chris can chime in here because I am not that familar with the area. I know there are open farm areas in Warren County in Mansfield and also if you head west toward White TWP. The problem is that there are numerous areas in NW NJ where trees are extensive. I know Mount Olive has a few good spots too.

Do you know of any good/scenic spots for viewing up there? I'm strongly considering making the trip up if we can get some significant wind producers tomorrow (which i think is becoming increasingly likely). It looks like my area will be close enough to hear the thunder while the storms move along the height gradient just to my north.

Hmm obviously there are so many hills and valleys that can offer great views here..i dont really know great ones off the top of my head that can see around any thick forests. Only one I can think of is off of schooleys mountain rd..the neighborhood out of hastings square. I used to go to the top of the hill (on the border of Mount Olive/Washington Twp) and over look Hackettstown to the west/northwest, from about 800 feet up , through a tree clearing for transmission lines. Type in 110 Knob hill rd, hackettstown NJ in google maps and thats where im talking about

Yeah once you get northeast of HFD I think things get sort of meh. This has a CT River Valley/Litchfield Hills/Fairfield Co look to me.

I agree with this.

From what HM says, we don't need much/if any sun tomorrow for a shot..Just need to be near the boundary which we will be..We may actually be better off not getting into the high heat

Well, take the sun if you can get it! But yeah, the low LCL / high shear and sufficient CAPE type of thing is what you will be looking for.

:weenie:

While I wouldn't rule out places to the east getting into the more unstable air the models have been quite consistent in keeping the real juice from HFD/BDL points southwest.

Shouldn't matter...Blizz lives and dies by what happens at BDL in the summer so hopefully the ASOS gets a good 55kt gust. ;)

Impressive 12z nam run. a lot of backing surface winds tomorrow evening

I am a little less concerned about CIN tomorrow with these helicity numbers - that kind of shear profile can pull a parcel clean through a CIN by pure fluid mechanics, and get it to is free C level.

But what I find interesting is the NAM MOS products raising the temps in interior SNE every run by 1 or 2 clicks - may be yielding to a farther N WF position in time. It just looks to me, considering all, that if we can hang a west -east oriented WF up into southern VT/NH ...heads are going to roll across the area.

As expected:

ADDITIONALLY...500 MB FLOW ON THE ORDER OF

40-50KT WILL EXTEND ACROSS THIS DEVELOPING ACTIVITY AND ORGANIZED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY EARLY AFTERNOON.

FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST VERY STEEP LAPSE RATES WILL BE IN PLACE

AS CONVECTION MATURES. AS A RESULT THERE IS INCREASING CONCERN THAT

DAMAGING WINDS MAY BE COMMON WITH WARM SECTOR CONVECTION. GIVEN THE

POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD ORGANIZED SEVERE STORMS AN AREA FROM SRN OH

ACROSS MUCH OF WRN/NRN PA INTO CNTRL NY MAY BE UPGRADED TO A

MODERATE CATEGORICAL RISK IN LATER OUTLOOKS.

May not extend into NE per se - but, heh, convection always is a kind of dart throwing contest

Everything continues to look impressive for the CT River Valley and points southwest. I'm interested to see what the Euro does.

I do think we will see a tornado threat develop on the northern axis on the best instability/theta-e ridge where the strongest shear and low level backed winds exist. I think from EWR points south the threat is more of a damaging MCS that approaches later in the day.

Archived