• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Severe weather thread number ...I think X ?

Typhoon Tip

It's too hard to get all the variables to come together--not to mention the region is entirely removed from some of them except on special occasions and even then it's not quite the same. Early season would seemingly never have the moisture etc needed. Late season would never have the jet configuration. There's probably some theoretical superstorm in prime season but it seems far fetched. New England and surrounds have the best long-term tornado record in the country -- early settlers noted them quite a bit. I think we'd know if there was some epic disaster in the last few hundred years at least, though there are a lot of trees out there.

Global warming may increase our severe wx season

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As that present cell moved to the Southeast just after sunset a spectacular light show. The top of the anvil illuminated by sunlight with bolts (constant cloud to cloud) splitting in all directions. My neighbor, "better than fireworks"

Incredible show.....dumb dumb did not take pictures!!!

D'OH

Global warming may increase our severe wx season

Yeah I guess that's possible. I just think the Apps and local effects to their east screw things up a bit too much to sustain large scale outbreaks of major note. They may also aid mini alleys like in the Carolinas but that area also plays with a lot more gulf moisture early in the year. We've got a ways to go before those types of airmasses are normal in say March or April.

if that event winds up being weak/further north then we mix too much dry air down

dewpoints on the 18z nam go from mid 70s over n/cnj to mid 60s over the dc region wed afternoon

I agree. This is when that low-altitude EML "negative" comes into play...deeper into the warm sector.

Looking at some soundings one thing I see is a bit of a bulge in the temp contour around 500mb suggesting there may be an area of slight warming...hopefully this does not become an issue but this is something that can really prevent updrafts from blossoming much taller...this is where you hope strong instability/forcing/dynamical help can do it's job.

Well off to bed...will wake up between 5-6 AM to look at rest of stuff before work.

When the new day 2 comes out in ~3 hours I could see a 30% area from NE to into N NJ/SE NY up to the CT border. Might not mention upgrade to moderate possible in future outlooks but if morning data looks even better then we could see that with the 1730z outlook.

The NAM soundings are very impressive even down to this area, but it is certainty interesting to see it insisting on storms struggling to get south of the NY/NJ border. You can see on the 500mb height panel that the vorticity shoots eastward after this frame and the storms do so as well. The NAM keys in on more convective development Friday afternoon with the height falls around 18z.

f48.gif

Archived