• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe weather thread number ...I think X ?

Typhoon Tip

I mentioned this yesterday but am not sure it fell on listening ears as there was ongoing activity in play.

This is your day - D3 (Thur). For me, this is one of the best looking table sets of the season that I have personally seen. This is a longitudinal wave set up in the sense that the vorticity is not already conserved in a steep meridian oriented trough or closed low. This way most of the vorticity is spread out through the column in the form of shear. It is tough to say exactly how the directional versus velocity kinematics will orient - some of that always comes to now-casting, as often times we will find that the 0-3km wind was handled less accurately. However, sufficed it is to say, we have an open wave transporting high CAPE(high potential CAPE) air in a warm sector that will likely roll up to about a Watertown NY - Concord NH approximate line; that may be generous as the Euro seems to want to limit it to NYC. This times neatly with diabatic heating later Thursday. It is something to watch, because if the warm sector penetrates even a little more proficiently to where dirty sun heats the column, we then contend with the right entrance region of potent enough mid/U/A wind max; first entering the upper OV and then translating such that eventually much of the area passes through the jet core and wind up on the left exit side. Pick your poison.. but if the runs are heading in the right direction, it wouldn't surprise me to see some part of this region go to moderate risk - rare for this part of the country, I know. I would look up stream toward Michigan/Wisconsin - there is a bit of lag teleconnector for convection in those regions wrt to local events some 18 to 24 hours later.

There's also possibilities in there for antecedent MCS/elevated stuff as fairly potent WAA begins ...at some point earlier in the period(s).

day3otlk_0730.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this yesterday but am not sure it fell on listening ears as there was ongoing activity in play.

This threat has been on everyone's radar for at least 10 days. At one point, the SPC even mentioned it in their extended range (around day 8 I think).

Naturally, as we get closer, things don't look as nice. The morning round, the slower arrival of the SLP and possible recovery issues are all in the back of my mind.

At this point, S-C NY into PA look game for a possible moderate risk Thursday. I also like the overnight Wed-Thu AM potential you and several others have highlighted.

nice disco from Hitchcock at BUF...more relevant for areas further west but still a good summation of the situation.

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...

AT THE START OF THE PERIOD ON WEDNESDAY HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE IN

CONTROL ACROSS THE LOWER LAKES WITH PLENTY OF SUNSHINE. LIGHT

SYNOPTIC SCALE WINDS WILL ALLOW LAKE BREEZES TO DEVELOP BY EARLY

AFTERNOON WITH LOCALLY ONSHORE WINDS ALONG THE LAKESHORES. 850MB

TEMPS OF AROUND +13 WILL SUPPORT HIGHS VERY CLOSE TO MID SUMMER

NORMALS WITH LOWER 80S ACROSS LOWER ELEVATIONS AND UPPER 70S HIGHER

TERRAIN AND ALONG THE LAKES.

FORECAST BECOMES MUCH MORE INTERESTING WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO

THURSDAY. MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS CONSISTENT ON BRINGING A

SIGNIFICANT SURFACE LOW AND CONVECTIVELY AUGMENTED MID LEVEL

VORTICITY CENTER THROUGH THE GREAT LAKES STATES DURING THIS

PERIOD...ALTHOUGH RUN TO RUN AND INTER-MODEL DIFFERENCES ARE STILL

THERE WITH REGARDS TO EXACT TRACK AND TIMING. TRACING THIS FEATURE

BACK IN MODEL GUIDANCE...IT APPEARS TO BE RELATED TO A WEAK CLOSED

LOW OVER WEST TEXAS EARLY THIS MORNING. THIS FEATURE WILL BE

CAPTURED BY SOUTHERLY MONSOON FLOW OVER THE ROCKIES AND IS FORECAST

TO INTERACT WITH A TROUGH OVER SASKATCHEWAN TO FORM A WEAK LOW OVER

THE NORTHERN PLAINS TONIGHT. AN MCS IS ALSO FORECAST TO DEVELOP IN

THIS SAME GENERAL AREA...WHICH IS FORECAST TO PROJECT ONTO THE

SYNOPTIC SCALE AND HELP DEEPEN THE SURFACE LOW AND MID LEVEL

VORTICITY CENTER AS THEY HEAD INTO THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES WEDNESDAY

NIGHT. THIS SCENARIO IS HIGHLY COMPLEX...AND WOULD EXPECT FURTHER

ADJUSTMENTS IN THE TIMING AND TRACK DETAILS IN MODEL GUIDANCE FOR

THE NEXT 24 HOURS UNTIL THE MAIN PLAYERS BEGIN TO MATURE.

IN ADVANCE OF THE SYSTEM WEDNESDAY NIGHT A LEAD SHORTWAVE AND A WING

OF MODERATE TO STRONG WARM ADVECTION ON THE NORTHEAST EDGE OF THE

ELEVATED MIXED LAYER /EML/ PLUME WILL SUPPORT INCREASING LARGE SCALE

ASCENT ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN GREAT LAKES. THIS WILL BRING

RAIN CHANCES INTO THE AREA OVERNIGHT...AND LATEST GUIDANCE SUGGESTS

THE BEST FORCING AND MOISTURE WILL BE FOUND FROM LAKE ONTARIO

NORTHWARD. WITH THIS IN MIND WILL JUST GO WITH LOW CHANCE POPS NEAR

THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE LINE...INCREASING TO LIKELY OVER LAKE ONTARIO

FOR LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

ON THURSDAY THE GFS HAS TRENDED A LITTLE FURTHER NORTH WITH THE

TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW AND NOW HAS IT MOVING OVER LAKE ONTARIO.

THE NAM AND ECMWF ARE A LITTLE FURTHER SOUTH AND WEAKER...BUT EVEN

THESE WEAKER SOLUTIONS ALLOW VERY WARM AIR TO ADVECT INTO AREAS

SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO AS THE EASTERN EDGE OF THE EML PLUME IS

CAPTURED AND ADVECTED INTO THE LOWER LAKES AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM. WITH

QUALITY DYNAMICS AND MOISTURE COMING TOGETHER WILL CONTINUE WITH

LIKELY POPS FOR THURSDAY...ALTHOUGH PLACEMENT OF STEADIER/HEAVIER

RAIN REMAINS IN QUESTION. EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO LIKELY

GIVEN THE RESERVOIR OF STRONG INSTABILITY JUST UPSTREAM.

TEMPERATURES ARE A TRICKY CALL. VERY WARM TEMPS AT 850MB WILL

SUPPORT HIGHS IN THE MID TO UPPER 80S WITH JUST A FEW HOURS OF DRY

WEATHER AND SUNSHINE. ON THE OTHER HAND IF THICK CLOUD COVER AND

SHOWERS PREVAIL IT WILL BE MUCH COOLER. HAVE GONE WITH A WARMER

SOLUTION SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO WHERE SOME BREAKS IN PRECIP ARE

EXPECTED.

THURSDAY NIGHT THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY EASES SLOWLY SOUTH ACROSS THE

REGION WITH ADDITIONAL SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY. THIS SYSTEM

HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR PRODUCING THE FIRST WIDESPREAD RAINFALL IN

QUITE SOME TIME. THIS WILL NOT END THE DROUGHT BY ANY MEANS...BUT

MAY PROVIDE SOME SHORT TERM RELIEF TO SURFACE SOIL MOISTURE.

THIS SYSTEM MAY ALSO HAVE SOME SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL AS WELL.

BOTH THE NAM AND GFS DEVELOP A STRONG LOW LEVEL JET WEDNESDAY NIGHT

WHICH WILL TRANSPORT VERY UNSTABLE AIR OUT FROM BENEATH THE EML

PLUME AND INTO THE MODERATE TO STRONG WARM ADVECTION REGIME ACROSS

THE CENTRAL AND UPPER LAKES. THIS CAN BE A FAVORABLE SCENARIO FOR

INTENSE MCS DEVELOPMENT. IF AN MCS DOES FORM WEDNESDAY EVENING

ACROSS THE UPPER LAKES...IT MAY TRACK ESE INTO OUR REGION LATE

WEDNESDAY NIGHT OR THURSDAY MORNING WITH AN ATTENDANT RISK OF

DAMAGING WINDS AND LOCAL FLOODING.

ON THURSDAY IN THE WAKE OF THE POTENTIAL MCS THE AIRMASS WILL

DESTABILIZE ONCE AGAIN...ESPECIALLY IF THE FARTHER NORTH SURFACE LOW

OF THE GFS SOLUTION VERIFIES. MODERATE SHEAR WILL BE IN PLACE AND

MAY SUPPORT AN ENVIRONMENT FAVORABLE OF ADDITIONAL SEVERE WEATHER

THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

This threat has been on everyone's radar for at least 10 days. At one point, the SPC even mentioned it in their extended range (around day 8 I think).

Naturally, as we get closer, things don't look as nice. The morning round, the slower arrival of the SLP and possible recovery issues are all in the back of my mind.

At this point, S-C NY into PA look game for a possible moderate risk Thursday. I also like the overnight Wed-Thu AM potential you and several others have highlighted.

You thinking MCS on Wednesday night? It looks ripe.

From the dewpoint charts it appears that the dry line will make it quite far east on Wednesday night, maybe eastern IN, Western Oh?

You thinking MCS on Wednesday night? It looks ripe.

From the dewpoint charts it appears that the dry line will make it quite far east on Wednesday night, maybe eastern IN, Western Oh?

The term "MCS" doesn't do this justice, given the autumn-like dynamics in the synoptic metrics at play. This impressive insentropic lift / thermal advection on the leading edge of an impressive EML will likely lead to an extensive area of severe convection/heavy rainfall overnight / early THU for NY-New England.

The dry line will likely wash out / become diffuse once it interacts with the Appalachians. However, if the SLP can become deep enough, it wouldn't shock me to see more upper level descent into the backside, allowing it to come eastward.

yeah, the SPC had the eastern Lakes/PA and NY in the Day 8 and then didn't highlight the specific threat again until Day 3. Originally I believe we were talking the main upper level low being the main culprate but it appears the wave out ahead of on Wednesday night/Thursday will be the main show instead.

Yes, it originally looked like Friday but as usual, the situation becomes more cluttered as we get closer.

This is going to be a very active 24-36 hr period from the Lakes to the Northeast.

The term "MCS" doesn't do this justice, given the autumn-like dynamics in the synoptic metrics at play. This impressive insentropic lift / thermal advection on the leading edge of an impressive EML will likely lead to an extensive area of severe convection/heavy rainfall overnight / early THU for NY-New England.

The dry line will likely wash out / become diffuse once it interacts with the Appalachians. However, if the SLP can become deep enough, it wouldn't shock me to see more upper level descent into the backside, allowing it to come eastward.

right...it's just that it should be elevated. I wonder if there is a pretty decent hail threat on Wednesday night/early Thursday as opposed to a wind threat.

I think there is a reasonable MCS threat on Thursday afternoon/evening, also. Mainly for SE NY/northern NJ/SW SNE.

There is a distinctive EML on the NAM...it appears to be located a bit lower than most EMLs, more in the 600-800mb layer instead of the 500-700mb layer.

If we can get a more progressive SLP to plow into southern New England THU evening, a heightened tornado risk would exist from S NY / N PA into MA / CT. The degree of instability is in question given the morning round (but that will keep those LCL heights low). Should the early MCS leave a nice T gradient, that could also serve as a focal point for supercells and possibly strong ones with the pressure falls and wind shear at play.

right...it's just that it should be elevated. I wonder if there is a pretty decent hail threat on Wednesday night/early Thursday as opposed to a wind threat.

I think that the bulk of it, spatially, will be elevated/stratiform but the dynamics at play will allow for embedded surface-based storms (perhaps on the most south/west side). In fact, I would think both large hail and damaging winds will be a threat.

In order for that to occur, the dynamics on the data currently have to be realized; otherwise, this will end up an elevated / less interesting MCS.

I think that the bulk of it, spatially, will be elevated/stratiform but the dynamics at play will allow for embedded surface-based storms (perhaps on the most south/west side). In fact, I would think both large hail and damaging winds will be a threat.

In order for that to occur, the dynamics on the data currently have to be realized; otherwise, this will end up an elevated / less interesting MCS.

I think the major concern for SNE is whether the warm front can make into the bulk of the area...if not the severe threat would be farther south.

Okay. That may very well be - not intending to take any credit there - I could care less who situates the notice. I just didn't want to come off as a chest beater by repeating things. I also don't spend quite as much time on the boards as others, so forgive my negligence.

That said, ... yeah, I remember seeing this in the charts my self a back when, but with convection, I am much less inclined to doing any extended lead write-ups compared to our synoptic-scaled events during the cold season.

You are right! As usual, the 12z run of the NAM appears somewhat less interesting aloft... If we transport the higher CAPE air though, we really don't need much in the way of kinematics to realize a very energetic result.

Agreed, I like the WAA period as well. Could be some strobing yee ha!

Yes, it originally looked like Friday but as usual, the situation becomes more cluttered as we get closer.

This is going to be a very active 24-36 hr period from the Lakes to the Northeast.

i still think it looks good for us... i think the warm front stalls somewhere in CT

Archived