• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe weather thread number ...I think X ?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

two min ago..bubbly

Cloud filming is a hobby of mine. I have a nice Sony HD ...don't have the model number right off mind, that I set up at certain chosen locations around the area. I like to train the camera upon a CU or CU complex and let it film with the polarization lens tuned - just let it go and from tripod and only touch it to slowly turn the angle to account for cloud motion - occasionally slowly zooming too. Then later on I like to take the recording and edit it to be faster motion - it's really nerdy and dorky to the nth degree, admittedly, but it is fascinating to see the evolution that way. If lucky, you get a CU --> TCU --> CB complete cycle. I have seen a tiny little CU cycle through several increasingly tall towers ...the base slowly widening, until that 6th or 7th towar finally glaciates. It's really neat to see all that on film.

Thanks--I'll take the rain. If I can get it with severe, all the better.

Strat rain would be much better for the lawns rather than hit or miss storms. I think the WF stalls to our south. By how much is the 64k question.

Cloud filming is a hobby of mine. I have a nice Sony HD ...don't have the model number right off mind, that I set up at certain chosen locations around the area. I like to train the camera upon a CU or CU complex and let it film with the polarization lens tuned - just let it go and from tripod and only touch it to slowly turn the angle to account for cloud motion - occasionally slowly zooming too. Then later on I like to take the recording and edit it to be faster motion - it's really nerdy and dorky to the nth degree, admittedly, but it is fascinating to see the evolution that way. If lucky, you get a CU --> TCU --> CB complete cycle. I have seen a tiny little CU cycle through several increasingly tall towers ...the base slowly widening, until that 6th or 7th towar finally glaciates. It's really neat to see all that on film.

it is fascinating. The most impressive time-lapses (for me) are evolution of supercell thunderstorms.

Strong thunderstorm bearing down on Portland. Very heavy rain and lightning/thunder.

Pinging pea sized hail now here in Portland.

Yup, we're under a warning. I was about to go across the street to run an errand but saw how dark it was. Think I'll wait on that.

Nice guys--enjoy. John, your in healtcare, right? We were up at my in-laws and had to take our daughter to the ER at Mid-Coast. Really good experience (and daughter's fine).

Strat rain would be much better for the lawns rather than hit or miss storms. I think the WF stalls to our south. By how much is the 64k question.

If it's south of you, I guess I'll be more comforably in the stratiform stuff.

Well that was wild. Barely got back from Market Street Eats before that wall of water and wind hit.

Almost watched the traffic lights come down at Commercial and Center. No hail that I could see but the rain was heavy, backed up a storm drain on Maple and now there is a ton of traffic heading towards the Casco Bay Bridge because nobody can find a way around it.

Well that was wild. Barely got back from Market Street Eats before that wall of water and wind hit.

Almost watched the traffic lights come down at Commercial and Center. No hail that I could see but the rain was heavy, backed up a storm drain on Maple and now there is a ton of traffic heading towards the Casco Bay Bridge because nobody can find a way around it.

I guess now would not be a good time to raise the bridge. I must put up a rain guage here at work. Would be nice to know how much rain fell in this storm. I haven't seen it rain that hard in a long time.

Looks great Eric.

I'm hoping that little,
weak looking line in S VT
survives to Rte 2... not counting on it. Maybe something later...

According to wunderground, the cell at Bennington has 'hail' at 100%, severe at 30% with up to .75". Meanwhile, sky continuing to darken from the north as it ever so slowly approaches. I hope it can hold on for the few remaining miles south.

Mesoscale Discussion 1567 < Previous MD Next MD > mcd1567.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1567

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1152 AM CDT TUE JUL 24 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...ERN MA...SRN NH...SRN ME

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 241652Z - 241815Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT

SUMMARY...STORMS WILL INCREASE ALONG THE COLD FRONT...AND LARGE HAIL

WILL BE POSSIBLE. A WATCH MAY BE NEEDED.

DISCUSSION...STORMS HAVE DEVELOPED ALONG THE COLD FRONT...WITH HAIL

INDICATED IN STORMS OVER FAR SRN ME. OTHER CELLS WERE FORMING ACROSS

SRN VT AND NH...AND MAY EVENTUALLY MOVE INTO ERN MA. WITH LONG

STRAIGHT HODOGRAPHS...THE MAIN THREAT WILL BE HAIL NEAR 1.00 INCH

DIAMETER.

According to wunderground, the cell at Bennington has 'hail' at 100%, severe at 30% with up to .75". Meanwhile, sky continuing to darken from the north as it ever so slowly approaches. I hope it can hold on for the few remaining miles south.

My camera is all ready for hail...

If it doesn't happen, I can take some pics of gnarly looking ice cubes like Blizz did

My camera is all ready for hail...

If it doesn't happen, I can take some pics of gnarly looking ice cubes like Blizz did

LOL.

I might only get niced (nicked?) by the line. It could be something that gives Chris and Lurker the goods leaving points to the west with rumbles. It's beginning to build back west some though, so that would give me a whole lot more confidence based on the movement.

Archived