amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm rolled through here with some heavy rain, strong winds and wicked lightning. Power went out for about two minutes and my little instant pop-up shelter in the back yard has met a disastrous end. Need the rain but it may have fallen so hard it just ran off.

Nice line forming off to my NW out near Utica, NY. I'm still a bit concerned about the cold pool from earlier convection putting a damper on these storms as they move SE. There was a cell out ahead of the main line and it collapsed and died as it approached the Albany area.

Hopefully as convection often becomes more elevated at night, it will survive the trip SE and give me a good soaking storm.

Did you guys see the SREF for Thursday? A bit out of its range obviously but it's still showing very impressive parameters...high helicity with great moisture and decent CAPE.

Edit: SPC SREF

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/gifs/2012072315/SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f078.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/gifs/2012072315/SREF_3KMHEL_SSB_MEDIAN_MXMN__f078.gif

A lot of sheet lightning in my west sky with some distant rumbles. Cell has been warned east of Albany for gusty winds. Worst of it looks to go just to my north, but I still may get a decent storm here by 12 AM. Hopefully, I can pull of a quick 1"+ rainfall as we're desperately dry.

I'm hoping that we get something here! So many times this summer, I've watched storms just disappear on the radar before getting to our neck of the woods. We had a tiny amount of rain last night but the garden is dry, dry, dry.

Archived