Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Distant thunder here.

Lately my PC-based lightning detector has been registering lots of "noise" but few "strikes".

Has the nature of Fairfield County thunderstorms changed, or is there something related to my detector or antenna that needs attention?

(Rhetorical question only - I'm pretty sure that it's the equipment that has a fault, but if anybody cares to make the argument that the laws of physics have changed recently, I'll give it serious consideration. It is 2012, after all...)

Thursday-Friday is a muddled mess. The GFS insists on generating vorticity in the high plains (convection) that races eastward to produce the SLP for Thursday evening while the ECMWF / UKMET are more reserved. It will make a big difference. Suddenly, timing has become an issue as well as evolution. Things could certainly still end up being very rough; but if the synoptics are unclear, it isn't possible to be anything but vague about the end of the week.

Thursday-Friday is a muddled mess. The GFS insists on generating vorticity in the high plains (convection) that races eastward to produce the SLP for Thursday evening while the ECMWF / UKMET are more reserved. It will make a big difference. Suddenly, timing has become an issue as well as evolution. Things could certainly still end up being very rough; but if the synoptics are unclear, it isn't possible to be anything but vague about the end of the week.

the idea of a consolidated sfc low in upstate ny crapped out

the idea of a consolidated sfc low in upstate ny crapped out

I agree that the probability went down but the idea is not totally gone yet. The SPC approach of "waiting and seeing" what happens with convection prior to and during cyclogenesis and intensification is, as always, the best route.

The wind fields are still impressive, even if the SLP craps out. There would still be an enhanced tornado risk on the northern edge of the theta-e ridge.

I agree that the probability went down but the idea is not totally gone yet. The SPC approach of "waiting and seeing" what happens with convection prior to and during cyclogenesis and intensification is, as always, the best route.

The wind fields are still impressive, even if the SLP craps out. There would still be an enhanced tornado risk on the northern edge of the theta-e ridge.

i like how thursday looks with the boundary just north of us

yeah Thursday/Friday is a bit disjointed. Originally the main show was going to be the 500mb closed low over the plains moving east...but now there is a shortwave that races out ahead of it.

Northern PA would clean up on the GFS solution.

Wind fields still good plus this time of year having water temps so warm it doesn't screw things up for SNE with strong low level warm advection.

Euro has over 3" of rain here on Thursday north of the warm front. Probably overdone but given the strength of the system...places north of the warm front could get quite a bit of rain I think.

the low on the gfs looks like convectively generated crap

the low on the gfs looks like convectively generated crap

Yep...

...LOW PRESSURE MOVING ACROSS THE MIDWEST/GREAT LAKES WED-THU...

PREFERENCE: NAM OR ECMWF

THE GFS SUFFERS FROM CONVECTIVE GRID-SCALE FEEDBACK AND THUS IS

STRONGER AND LIES NORTH OF THE NAM/ECMWF WHICH ARE MOSTLY SIMILAR.

THUS...RECOMMEND DISCOUNTING THE GFS IN FAVOR OF EITHER THE NAM OR

ECMWF.

CONFIDENCE: ABOVE AVERAGE

Archived