• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

Let's focus on the damage before the damage? ; Monday pm/night.

Yeah lol... the Euro jumped out at me for Friday though when I was just taking a cursory glance of all the runs.

I do agree with Chris and Wiz that there's potential Tuesday over eastern areas. I sort of like BOS/EWB? I think we'll dry out too much here but we do have some impressive lapse rates modeled (look at the NAM!) with good jet dynamics and strengthening wind fields.

Monday is marginally interesting as well. Though deep layer shear is meh there is a weak LLJ that noses into western areas that gives us some decent 0-3km shear. May help storm organization even though supercells are unlikely.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah lol... the Euro jumped out at me for Friday though when I was just taking a cursory glance of all the runs.

I do agree with Chris and Wiz that there's potential Tuesday over eastern areas. I sort of like BOS/EWB? I think we'll dry out too much here but we do have some impressive lapse rates modeled (look at the NAM!) with good jet dynamics and strengthening wind fields.

Monday is marginally interesting as well. Though deep layer shear is meh there is a weak LLJ that noses into western areas that gives us some decent 0-3km shear. May help storm organization even though supercells are unlikely.

I think the focus tomorrow would be training cells which develop along any boundaries or from orograhpic lift. While there could be some strong winds with any cores collapsing I would think main threat would be torrential downpours/flash flooding.

I noticed that for Monday as well. I believe it was the NAM that also had a subtle 40 kt streak at H3 that break off and brushes NW MA, NH and then ME. Perhaps this will be enough for storm organization, but overall shear is still rather meh as you said. We might be able to maintain something out of Canada up this way in the northern mountains.

On Tuesday, I would say the NAM verbatim is favoring a line from IJD to OWD, then squashing that down to EWB to PYM late. There is a nice little bullseye of delta 30 H6 to sfc theta-e difference, which is well above accepted values for severe wind. Obviously the soundings look good for hail, and there is jet support. But that unidirectional flow is really cutting into shear values. The NAM is more bullish than most on the shear, and even then it is only 30-35 kts.

I noticed that for Monday as well. I believe it was the NAM that also had a subtle 40 kt streak at H3 that break off and brushes NW MA, NH and then ME. Perhaps this will be enough for storm organization, but overall shear is still rather meh as you said. We might be able to maintain something out of Canada up this way in the northern mountains.

On Tuesday, I would say the NAM verbatim is favoring a line from IJD to OWD, then squashing that down to EWB to PYM late. There is a nice little bullseye of delta 30 H6 to sfc theta-e difference, which is well above accepted values for severe wind. Obviously the soundings look good for hail, and there is jet support. But that unidirectional flow is really cutting into shear values. The NAM is more bullish than most on the shear, and even then it is only 30-35 kts.

The NAM has very steep lapse rates Tuesday and is a bit slower with drying out the boundary layer. So yeah... good for eastern sections.

On Monday there are several subtle signs that indicate a limited severe potential somewhere. Getting enough of a LLJ and enough hodograph curvature could provide enough low level shear to organize storms even in the midst of rather meh deep layer shear.

Here's the 12z NAM 36 hour forecast hodograph for BDL. The GFS is much less impressive. Something to watch at least.

post-40-0-37561300-1342990452_thumb.png

The NAM has very steep lapse rates Tuesday and is a bit slower with drying out the boundary layer. So yeah... good for eastern sections.

On Monday there are several subtle signs that indicate a limited severe potential somewhere. Getting enough of a LLJ and enough hodograph curvature could provide enough low level shear to organize storms even in the midst of rather meh deep layer shear.

Here's the 12z NAM 36 hour forecast hodograph for BDL. The GFS is much less impressive. Something to watch at least.

I do like the look of hodographs tomorrow. For what it's worth, the SPC WRF develops a line from the Canadian border all the way to Philly tomorrow afternoon.

I do like the look of hodographs tomorrow. For what it's worth, the SPC WRF develops a line from the Canadian border all the way to Philly tomorrow afternoon.

Our 4km WRF which actually has done pretty well with convection this summer has several lines of storms moving through here tomorrow.

Maybe we can generate a few supercells here tomorrow.

I did an approximation based off of the NAM forecast for Monday afternoon and the Supercell Composite value is about 2.9 for northern CT. Not particularly impressive, although this is more of an observation based on number crunching and not a forecast.

Hey guys, how is it look for EMA, have not seen much chatter on this area, sorry for the IMBY post, not as good as ready severe threat parameters.

Not sure how much action there will be out that way tomorrow but right now for Tuesday I think everything favors EMA for a decent severe threat.

Perhaps just the result of a feedback issue but the 18z GFS seems really disorganized with winds in the lowest 700mb on Friday. Also looks like the best wind fields move offhsore by early afternoon as the sfc low departs off the coast of ME. Maybe it's just nitpicking at this stage but just an observation.

Thanks!

Actually taking a closer look I could see some development tomorrow across eastern MA which is sea-breeze induced...could see a few strong to severe pulsers across this area with damaging winds the main threat...flash flooding would also be a concern as well.

Further west tomorrow evening could actually be quite interesting here...just looked at the 12z WRF and it has a solid line of convection moving through here around 0z tomorrow night and by this time we have increased 0-6km shear to 30-35 knots and increased 0-1 helicity thanks to developing LLJ.

Actually taking a closer look I could see some development tomorrow across eastern MA which is sea-breeze induced...could see a few strong to severe pulsers across this area with damaging winds the main threat...flash flooding would also be a concern as well.

Further west tomorrow evening could actually be quite interesting here...just looked at the 12z WRF and it has a solid line of convection moving through here around 0z tomorrow night and by this time we have increased 0-6km shear to 30-35 knots and increased 0-1 helicity thanks to developing LLJ.

18z NAM is pretty meh.

Archived