• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SNE severe/convective thread IX...or whatever number we're on

weatherwiz

Well I had another post all typed up, but Firefox had other ideas.

What I was getting at was that the low level environment around this storm was rather stable.

lr3c_12071817.gif

Lapse rates were better farther southwest, and CAPE was located above the near surface layer. This went into efficient hail production. Additionally, PWATs approaching 2" were efficient rain producers, leading to precip loading and downbursts.

The environment just seemed to favor HP supercells, and this one was quite a specimen. The problem is that HP storms have visibility issues (all the rain) and lots of precip in areas you otherwise wouldn't expect. A water loaded RFD is going to have some locally lower LCLs, and produce a shelf cloud of its own separate from the forward flank. With rain cooled and maritime air being sucked into the storm, I think low hanging, ragged shelf clouds just had the right shape to be confused with funnels.

This is the most impressive pictures I've seen so far, from CBS Boston.

Great structure, with the huge precip core and layered shelf clouds. What is important to note is the large inflow tail just about dead center of the photo. That is going to lead right to the wall cloud, and if there were a funnel it would be near the base of that feature, likely tucked back behind the rain. Very difficult to spot let alone film.

I just don't see a lot in the low level velocity to jump to tornado conclusions. Of course the meso aloft was ripping at this time, right about over Nahant. I think it was just too stable an environment to get this circulation down to the surface from what I see. Even once over the water it looks like the best circulation was always displaced well away from the reflectivity gradients.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome analysis OceanSt, much appreciated.

Agree, even the SRV snapshot I posted from 2:29pm (25 minutes after the velocity images you have above) had best circulation well east of the best reflectivity gradients.

I wonder if visible satellite imagery might have evidence of a meso over Nahant while the best reflectivity gradients are still over Lynn/Saugus.

Well I had another post all typed up, but Firefox had other ideas.

What I was getting at was that the low level environment around this storm was rather stable.

lr3c_12071817.gif

Lapse rates were better farther southwest, and CAPE was located above the near surface layer. This went into efficient hail production. Additionally, PWATs approaching 2" were efficient rain producers, leading to precip loading and downbursts.

The environment just seemed to favor HP supercells, and this one was quite a specimen. The problem is that HP storms have visibility issues (all the rain) and lots of precip in areas you otherwise wouldn't expect. A water loaded RFD is going to have some locally lower LCLs, and produce a shelf cloud of its own separate from the forward flank. With rain cooled and maritime air being sucked into the storm, I think low hanging, ragged shelf clouds just had the right shape to be confused with funnels.

This is the most impressive pictures I've seen so far, from CBS Boston.

Great structure, with the huge precip core and layered shelf clouds. What is important to note is the large inflow tail just about dead center of the photo. That is going to lead right to the wall cloud, and if there were a funnel it would be near the base of that feature, likely tucked back behind the rain. Very difficult to spot let alone film.

I just don't see a lot in the low level velocity to jump to tornado conclusions. Of course the meso aloft was ripping at this time, right about over Nahant. I think it was just too stable an environment to get this circulation down to the surface from what I see. Even once over the water it looks like the best circulation was always displaced well away from the reflectivity gradients.

Great explanation, The possibility was there but looks like it never materialized

Some great storm structure photos out there from yesterday. Unfortunately, the piece of evidence that is getting touted as a funnel cloud near Lynn has me a bit skeptical. It is awfully shaky video, that is very zoomed in (no idea of storm structure and position). Can I say it isn't a funnel, no. Can I say it is a funnel, no. But to me it looks awfully like a low hanging, ragged shelf cloud. The shaking makes it very hard to determine potential rotation.

I followed it, drove through storm in Medford/Somerville, and followed it again down through Charlestown and Everett. Around 2-3 miles away, plenty of video and pics. It was a scud. lol

However, imo there was a developing wall cloud (perhaps not clearly defined) prior to moving offshore- and obviously the sweet shelf and overall structure.

post-510-0-78317900-1342752493_thumb.jpg

Thanks for those images Chris. Awesome breakdown. Dual Pol is a really cool feature, I'm actually trying to push that to mets that may not be as familiar with it at work...mostly the older guys. It's a good tool to see if hail is moving towards a client hub.

Those pictures are awesome, but also very typical. In my experience this is exactly the kind of supercell one sees most often around here in SNE. Almost always we get these big HP beasts that make it difficult to see whether there’s any low level rotation in the storm or not, because the wall cloud or funnel, if they exist at all, are going to be rain-wrapped. And the storm motion can be so fast that the best you can usually hope for in a chase is a single intercept, hopefully timed just right to put you somewhere near the inflow notch. What one usually sees at that point is precisely what most of these pictures show: a big, mean, usually ominous looking curving RFD shelf cloud, frequently layered and/or striated, and often with ragged and sometimes funnel-like scud hanging below it. Where the RFD shelf curls back into the main updraft, the place one would look for any wall cloud or funnel, there’s usually just a vague intimation of low clouds lurking within a black precip core that could be hiding almost anything. Very cool to look at, but these supercells rarely produce tornadoes, and when they do you can almost never see it unless you’re very close and very lucky - or on occasion very unlucky.

A sudden 63 mph Nw gust in a squall is certainly going to take some trees down anywhere.

The definition for squall is a brief, intense gust of wind as I learned it in college. Here's a definition that fits closely to what I remember...

squall (skwôl)

A brief, sudden, violent windstorm, often accompanied by rain or snow. A squall is said to occur if a wind having a sustained speed of 40 km (25 mi) per hour lasts at least 1 minute and then decreases rapidly. See also squall line.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Found this on thefreedictionary.com . Very interesting.

You can probably see an instantaneous gust to 55 knots and not see much damage. If you start getting 30-45 seconds of it you're going to start getting damage. Also some of these gusts can be quite isolated. It's conceivable 50+ knot gusts were spread out over a large portion of the airport and there were few trees to actually damage.

Exactly, Ryan. It can hit a small area and not last long at all. Agree with this.

--Turtle

I noticed that the NWS evaluation of the microburst in Arlington was not posted here. Saw some questions about this...so here it is:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

257 PM EDT THU JUL 19 2012

...MICROBURST /STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE/ CONFIRMED IN

ARLINGTON...MIDDLESEX COUNTY MASSACHUSETTS...

LOCATION...ARLINGTON IN MIDDLESEX COUNTY MASSACHUSETTS

DATE...JULY 18, 2012

ESTIMATED TIME...6 PM EDT

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM

WIND SPEED...70 TO 80 MPH

PATH LENGTH...APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES.....0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS CONFIRMED A

MICROBURST /STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE/ IN ARLINGTON...

MIDDLESEX COUNTY MASSACHUSETTS ON JULY 18, 2012. A NATIONAL WEATHER

METEOROLOGIST SURVEYED THE DAMAGE IN ARLINGTON THIS MORNING AND

CONFIRMED NUMEROUS TREES WERE DOWNED BY STRAIGHT LINE WINDS WITH THE

FOCUS OF THE DAMAGE CENTERED OVER EASTERN PORTIONS OF ARLINGTON.

THIS INCLUDES THE INTERSECTION OF MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE AND

BROADWAY EASTWARD TO ROUTE 16...THE CAMBRIDGE CITY LINE. IN ADDITION...

MULTIPLE HOMES AND AUTOMOBILES WERE DAMAGED BY DOWN TREES.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT

WEATHER.GOV/BOX.

FOR REFERENCE...

A MICROBURST IS A STRONG AND RELATIVELY SMALL AREA OF RAPIDLY

DESCENDING AIRSTREAM BENEATH A THUNDERSTORM. A MICROBURST IS

DIFFERENTIATED FROM A COMMON THUNDERSTORM DOWNDRAFT BECAUSE THE

WINDS IT PRODUCES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE DAMAGE ON OR NEAR

THE GROUND. SURFACE WIND DAMAGE PATTERNS HAVE SHOWN THAT WHETHER

THE WINDS ARE STRAIGHT OR A LITTLE BIT CURVED ...THEY TEND TO

SPREAD OUT OR DIVERGE CONSIDERABLY AS THEY REACH THE SURFACE.

CONVERSELY DAMAGE PATTERNS RESULTING FROM A TORNADO GENERALLY

CONVERGE TOWARD A NARROW CENTRAL TRACK.

IN ADDITION A MICROBURST IMPACT AREA IS TYPICALLY LESS THAN 2 1/2

MILES WIDE AND PEAK WINDS LASTING LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. MICROBURSTS

MAY INDUCE DANGEROUS HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL WIND SHEARS...WHICH CAN

ADVERSELY AFFECT AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE AND CAUSE PROPERTY DAMAGE.

STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS ARE GENERALLY ANY WIND THAT IS NOT ASSOCIATED

WITH ROTATION...USED MAINLY TO DIFFERENTIATE THEM FROM TORNADIC

WINDS.

$$

NOCERA

I'm on vacation, so I have no idea who went out to investigate this.

As for the Lynn/Saugus/Nahant storm, I have no idea. Upon the first viewing of the video the other day, I thought it was really cool and looked like it may have had rotation. However, after reading all the comments and, most importantly, viewing the video again, it could have been anywhere in that storm. I still don't know what time it happened (was there a time stamp?). I liked Chris' review of this event, and can understand the ambiquity on this cell. Again, on vacation, so have no clue what Glenn did or how he evaluated it. I do remember hearing Harvey Leonard mentioning Glenn's name on air and his (Glenn) evaluation of that video being a funnel cloud.

Guess we'll never really know...

--Turtle

A few images from the cell I intercepted in Sharon, CT on Wednesday...pretty impressive, although not as intense as some of the storms that hit portions of eastern SNE.

post-533-0-07071900-1342790389_thumb.png

post-533-0-82155200-1342790430_thumb.jpg

I thought in the video winds were maybe 40-50 or so. I would have expected those trees to bend a lot more in 60+ winds. However, it was weird in that the sheets of rain were flying by, yet the response to the wind on those trees wasn't what I expected. Good storm regardless.

I thought in the video winds were maybe 40-50 or so. I would have expected those trees to bend a lot more in 60+ winds. However, it was weird in that the sheets of rain were flying by, yet the response to the wind on those trees wasn't what I expected. Good storm regardless.

I think in the future I'll leave my camera facing towards trees for that sort of storm. I kept shifting back and forth, so I might have missed the best. There were several trees and power lines down within a 1/4 mile of that spot.

Question for the mets (particularly CTRain as you might have been around when this happened in your backyard...)

I'm very interested in tornadogenesis triggered by the interaction of a cell with a seabreeze boundary.

I posted earlier this case study of 2 tornadoes that formed in Florida in 2003 when cyclonic shear occurred at the intersection of a seabreeze boundary and a southward moving outflow boundary:

http://www.nwas.org/ej/2005-EJ6/

My question:

Did this waterspout in Narangasset Bay 8/14/2008 have similar mechanics?

However, imo there was a developing wall cloud (perhaps not clearly defined) prior to moving offshore- and obviously the sweet shelf and overall structure.

No doubt there was a wall cloud feature developing. Just seeing that inflow tail structure tells me there was something tucked back in there.

If that cell intercepted the seabreeze front, I bet it would have done some interesting things. It was rooted just above it.

Yeah, you could see the boundaries very clearly on reflectivity out west of 128.

From my vantage point on the water off Seabrook, NH the cloud bases were wavy, so there was definitely a stable layer these storms were riding up over. That's probably why the wind damage was relatively isolated with that cell, until you got farther west towards Arlington.

Question for the mets (particularly CTRain as you might have been around when this happened in your backyard...)

I'm very interested in tornadogenesis triggered by the interaction of a cell with a seabreeze boundary.

I posted earlier this case study of 2 tornadoes that formed in Florida in 2003 when cyclonic shear occurred at the intersection of a seabreeze boundary and a southward moving outflow boundary:

http://www.nwas.org/ej/2005-EJ6/

My question:

Did this waterspout in Narangasset Bay 8/14/2008 have similar mechanics?

120720151939u.gif

This is the surface map a couple hours before the waterspout (to avoid thunderstorm contamination of winds). Pretty weak flow, probably ideal for sea breeze formation. Looks like weak onshore flow near the coastline, but otherwise light northerly drift inland. Then you have the complicating factor of island like Jamestown and Prudence in the middle of Narragansett Bay that will distort boundaries and divert wind flow.

As for an outflow boundary interaction, winds at PVD did come around to the northwest as the storm passed but I'm not sure how well defined a feature it was. The waterspout was reported to be moving northeast.

I am by no means a severe weather expert and I've actually already learned a lot so far this season.

Anyway, I saw some highly interesting charts from midday Wednesday and notice how several of these focus on or near eastern Massachusetts...

The biggest thing that jumps out at me is the effect bulk shear and how this area was in a perfect balance between CAPE and EBS. This is why the Craven Significant Severe numbers were so incredibly high. 90K in SNE? That's insane.

EHI was pretty good as well and even normalizeed CAPE showed another maxima over the area.

Finally, the lower two images may be the most telling...

Supercell composite values of 12? That's nuts and significant tornado parameters of 3 are also huge red flags, especially for our area.

post-533-0-68751100-1342981570_thumb.png

Seeing you say that this far out is certainly eye opening!

Agreed about Tuesday, it's time to throw in the towel. However, eastern MA could be a target again?

I think it could be. There is enough model support to have the front not clear eastern areas until late in the day.

Looking at the jet support arriving at that time, there would probably be a few strong storm even if thermodynamics were less than marginal.

I think it could be. There is enough model support to have the front not clear eastern areas until late in the day.

Looking at the jet support arriving at that time, there would probably be a few strong storm even if thermodynamics were less than marginal.

I actually really like the look for eastern areas on Tuesday. One thing I'm a little concerned about is somewhat of a cap just above 700mb but forcing/lift should be enough to rid this I would think. Decent directional shear as well so maybe we could see a few discrete supercells? Would be interesting seeing a few of those interact with a sea-breeze boundary.

Archived