• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

According to the local models, (high res, NMM, ARW, etc) bad storms are possible again between 5-11pm tonight. Hopefully not as bad, but winds will be the major factor again. Bow echo storms, MCS event again!

I was driving during the storms yesterday and was on 95 in Richmond when the line moved through. I could barely hold on and keep my car driving in a straight line. Amazing lightning and powerful winds. I saw many accidents and trees blocking the roads. Now I have no phone service at home. I'm excited for more storms today like many of you are but the damage that comes along with it is not wanted obviously.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving around Columbia approx 10am, not too bad on main roads. A few scattered traffic light outages. Tree branches of varying sizes are down of course. Side streets are much more littered with branches, twigs, leaves and related blown debris (a few of the neighbors flower pots still sitting in the middle of my side street at noon).

Morning low 71.2 degrees actually felt nice with a breeze at 7am. Rainfall of 0.43" definitely one of the few plus'es.

12:30pm temp is 84.8

finally looked thru photos.. didn't really get anything.. tho i didnt try of course after our mishap. here's one transformer blowing up with the gust front also evident.

post-1615-0-57781800-1341076847_thumb.jp

lololol - One of my neighbors just emailed all of the people who live here and said that only 4 people had reported outages in our neighborhood and that she thought more needed to call in so we'd get faster service. I showed her a screenshot of the outage map and she said "oh I thought those big orange and yellow blobs didn't matter" - She only looked at the tiny green triangles...

Is that from GRearth?

Yes it is.

The 14z run has storms at about the same time in the same place but they are more scattered looking and not in a bow shape. The 16z RAP has storms in the same general vicinity. Hmm

Yes it is.

The 14z run has storms at about the same time in the same place but they are more scattered looking and not in a bow shape. The 16z RAP has storms in the same general vicinity. Hmm

The HRR will be far more interesting once convection finally fires today. Until then the model just seems to sorta "make stuff up" (intended). Actually, it looks like that might be starting now just north of the MD panhandle.

I haven't seen GRE since last year, the inclusion of the rapid meso models looks to be a nice addition. Too bad Mike still doesn't really "want" it used as a model viewer; perhaps if he did he'd toss in QPF as well.

total disaster. we got overtaken by the line before getting to shelter. one of the scariest weather moments of my life sprinting through trees as they were bending sideways along the tidal basin.. then my camera dropped out of my bag and my phone is soaked.

Around here we had had heavy rain and then the wind picked up gradually. Sounds like south of here it was more like The July 1995 and July 2009, where the wind and rain hit at the same time. The delayed wind gusts here actually confused me a bit, I was thinking of posting "bust" but decided to give it another few minutes.

we're not recovering spectacularly thus far though there isnt a shortage of what's needed for severe weather either. i certainly would not expect something as bad.. but we could definitely still get a large squall line through a smaller area.

Good luck guys, freezers and fridges packed with ice will last 48 hours. I will pull an Ian here, don"t any of you have cameras? Pics of damage please. Hope everything gets better soon, stay safe.

Good luck guys, freezers and fridges packed with ice will last 48 hours. I will pull an Ian here, don"t any of you have cameras? Pics of damage please. Hope everything gets better soon, stay safe.

i had a camera...

i'll wander the area a bit later with my old one to see if i can find anything. there are a number of parts of trees down around me. have seen some pretty hefty damage pics in the area. these are all from last night sure there are better from today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-buzz/post/dcs-derecho-storm-in-photos-and-tweets/2012/06/30/gJQAimMyCW_blog.html?tid=pm_local_pop

i hope i can get the data off my iphone at least. i took a min long vid as the first part hit. i think i got a sign blowing into a car driving by but it kinda sucks in low light.

was funny.. two guys were fishing off the bridge we went by. as we ran past i told them they should get inside. they're like "huh?" -- a few minutes later we were trapped behind the low wall and they came running up and crouched next to us -- "this is some crazy storm."

Archived