Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

i had a camera...

i'll wander the area a bit later with my old one to see if i can find anything. there are a number of parts of trees down around me. have seen some pretty hefty damage pics in the area. these are all from last night sure there are better from today: http://www.washingto...id=pm_local_pop

i hope i can get the data off my iphone at least. i took a min long vid as the first part hit. i think i got a sign blowing into a car driving by but it kinda sucks in low light.

was funny.. two guys were fishing off the bridge we went by. as we ran past i told them they should get inside. they're like "huh?" -- a few minutes later we were trapped behind the low wall and they came running up and crouched next to us -- "this is some crazy storm."

Insane storm. Looking at damage pics on transmission lines, ugh for power anytime soon for some.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were the total outages 1.3 million in the DC area, or was it a bit higher? I think people in some headlines are including total outages from the derecho itself.

it was past 1.5 million on early reports. maybe they're reporting current as a number have been restored.

lol.. this tree lost a huge branch during the severe storm a week ago and now another half of it fell.. from our listserve:

We are aware of the fallen trees and debris and if no structual damage as occurred, we will address come Monday.

The tree behind 2720 is costing us less to remove as it falls in pieces.

HRR has an MCS over us at 21:00 utc (4pm). Hard to imagine given the current radar

looks like we might be pretty close to the development zone assuming it happens. i think the widespread nature in the immediate area is probably considerably lower at this point than yesterday. but i could still see some powerful gusts in spots. could develop into mcs heading away?

Glad many are ok but sucks if you are still without juice. Hope it gets back sooner than expected for y'all. Went 12 hours without power here(same as Irene). Did see a few trees down and one down across CSX tracks. I'm ready for round 2 if it happens not that I want a repeat of last night

Were the total outages 1.3 million in the DC area, or was it a bit higher? I think people in some headlines are including total outages from the derecho itself.

BGE at one point last night had 1.2 million customers without power

Officially being called a "serial derecho" by the NWS. 238,000 without power in MC with one fatality involving a tree into a house trapping the resident on the top floor. Good news is that the Potomac treatment plant is back on line. PEPCO has requested 1000 crews for mutual aide. Not arriving until tomorrow though.

What was the highest CAPE that anyone saw for DC area yesterday?

The SPC will likely downgrade the 30% hatched for the DC area high winds with the next update. Sounding just dont support an enhanced threat this afternoon according to LWX.

Really nice shear but dewpoints really haven't been able to rebound so far today and that's the big missing factor at this point.

I'm sure we'll get some activity to form...but it will probably not be a derecho this go around. Radar looks pretty quiet right now.

Anyone have the link for this afternoons HRRR runs? Comp ref? I keep searching that site for the loop but not finding it.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr&domain=full&run_time=30+Jun+2012+-+16Z

Change the model run from the drop down menu and the resolution type from the links to the left. I wonder why NCEP doesn't add them to their Model and Guidance Page.

Power still out and getting hot in the house but not unbearable. Just finished helping my neighbor chop up a pretty big downed tree. Fell perfectly to not hit a house, powerline, or car. Next house up not as lucky. Car kinda squished and powerline pulled off of the house.

I wish verizon fios would come back online. Not sure why it's not working.

I ran a 200' cord to my favorite neighbors house to save their fridge. They're pretty stoked right now. Generator is getting a major workout.

Power still out and getting hot in the house but not unbearable. Just finished helping my neighbor chop up a pretty big downed tree. Fell perfectly to not hit a house, powerline, or car. Next house up not as lucky. Car kinda squished and powerline pulled off of the house.

I ran a 200' cord to my favorite neighbors house to save their fridge. They're pretty stoked right now. Generator is getting a major workout.

Sounds like you are a great neighbor!

You're equipment may have power, but whatever fiber loop is servicing your home is likely still dark if the general area is still without power. That would seem the most likely scenario, if you've confirmed that you have green lights on your gear...

Cool to hear you helping out your neighbors. That's always one positive in messes such as these, people come together and help each other out...Hoping you guys don't have a repeat clean up tomorrow...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

SPECIAL 18Z KIAD RAOB WAS COMPLETED. IT SHOWED DRIER AIR/LESS

INSTABILITY THAN EXPECTED AND ALSO LESS CAPE THAN THE MODIFIED

12Z SOUNDING INDICATED. ATMOSPHERE STILL HAS NOT RECOVERED WELL IN

THE WAKE OF LAST EVENING/S CONVECTION. THIS WOULD TEND TO BE A

HINDRANCE FOR WIDESPREAD ORGANIZED CONVECTION LATE THIS AFTERNOON

AND EVENING...AND A REPEAT OF LAST EVENING/S SEVERE EVENT APPEARS

UNLIKELY.

STILL CAN/T DISCOUNT THE FACT THAT THERE IS A FRONTAL BOUNDARY

DRAPED ACROSS THE CWA AND ANY SHORTWAVE WOULD ALSO SERVE AS A

LIFTING MECHANISM. DESPITE WEAKER INSTABILITY...WINDS/SHEAR ARE

NOT BAD AND SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS MAY STILL DEVELOP WHICH WOULD BE

CAPABLE OF DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL LATE THIS AFTERNOON