joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The outages are so sporadic up here in Frederick. Took the family out to a bagel shop for breakfast and WiFi, literally 2 miles up the road from me and you would never guess that we were out of power for close to 10 hours. While heading out saw a Potomac Edison truck outside our neighborhood, hoping that it means power in the near future. Not much damage. Lot of limbs down and only one tree that I can see. Winds must not have been too bad as the houses under construction in our neighborhood have packs of shingles still sitting on the peaks of the roofs.

Wow, we are incredibly lucky here - one row of buildings in my complex is without power this morning.

Very lucky here too. We have power but starting several houses down and through the rest of the street, nothing. My cable is out, but big deal.

Going to be awhile for some to get power again too.

http://www.bge.com/customerservice/stormsoutages/currentoutages/pages/default.aspx

Very lucky here too. We have power but starting several houses down and through the rest of the street, nothing. My cable is out, but big deal.

Going to be awhile for some to get power again too.

http://www.bge.com/c...es/default.aspx

Ours flickered a few times but always came back - to give you a scope of my apt complex, there are only three rows of buildings. My places sits in the middle row, so yeah... I'm thankful this morning.

Ours flickered a few times but always came back - to give you a scope of my apt complex, there are only three rows of buildings. My places sits in the middle row, so yeah... I'm thankful this morning.

Storms usually approach the back of our house so we were huddled on the front porch watching it all last night and blue sparks were shooting from the wires across the street. And in spite of the crazy thunder and lightning, we could hear popping noises all around the neighbor.

The outages are so sporadic up here in Frederick. Took the family out to a bagel shop for breakfast and WiFi, literally 2 miles up the road from me and you would never guess that we were out of power for close to 10 hours. While heading out saw a Potomac Edison truck outside our neighborhood, hoping that it means power in the near future. Not much damage. Lot of limbs down and only one tree that I can see. Winds must not have been too bad as the houses under construction in our neighborhood have packs of shingles still sitting on the peaks of the roofs.

Power only flickered here twice. The highest wind gust I found in Frederick was 49 mph. I thought lightning was the bigger story here. Mother nature put on a phenomenal show as I was driving down rt 15. I saw green skies multiple times. Will be interesting to see how today pans out. You would think the atmosphere is pretty worked over.

Power only flickered here twice. The highest wind gust I found in Frederick was 49 mph. I thought lightning was the bigger story here. Mother nature put on a phenomenal show as I was driving down rt 15. I saw green skies multiple times. Will be interesting to see how today pans out. You would think the atmosphere is pretty worked over.

Green skies were transformers blowing.

Any thoughts on timing and severity of today's round?

We could see something similar today, though it looks like it may not be as expansive. I'm concerned about one or multiple lines of storms heading right through the DC region today... probably not gonna be a good day for a lot of folks.

We could see something similar today, though it looks like it may not be as expansive. I'm concerned about one or multiple lines of storms heading right through the DC region today... probably not gonna be a good day for a lot of folks.

Do you think we will still see some near 80mph gusts like last night? Or would you think more of the 60-70 variety (not that it's significantly different).

Multiple lines?! Oh boy...

Do you think we will still see some near 80mph gusts like last night? Or would you think more of the 60-70 variety (not that it's significantly different).

Multiple lines?! Oh boy...

No idea, but lower instability for at least the northern parts of the region today should help keep things a little weaker (if there is indeed lower instability).

I should clarify... I'm not thinking about multiple rounds of MCSes, just storms in general. Kind of like how we saw storms forming ahead of the main line yesterday.

No idea, but lower instability for at least the northern parts of the region today should help keep things a little weaker (if there is indeed lower instability).

I should clarify... I'm not thinking about multiple rounds of MCSes, just storms in general. Kind of like how we saw storms forming ahead of the main line yesterday.

Makes sense. Although with 100 degree heat again (if that comes to fruition), I can't imagine there being a lack of instability to tap.

Makes sense. Although with 100 degree heat again (if that comes to fruition), I can't imagine there being a lack of instability to tap.

It's more about the mid-level lapse rates being less favorable compared to yesterday, but yeah we'll still probably see 2000-3000+ J/kg CAPE working in easily. The shear is a bit stronger compared to yesterday, though. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Dog friendly hotel? Neighbor with power? If you lived closer I'd tell you to bring him up here to chill with my dog.

i dunno. no car makes it tricky. walking anywhere midday wouldnt be fun. im sure it'll be alright. hopefully it comes back. tho i guess pepco is refusing to make estimates on timing.

i dunno. no car makes it tricky. walking anywhere midday wouldnt be fun. im sure it'll be alright. hopefully it comes back. tho i guess pepco is refusing to make estimates on timing.

Is your freezer working? Make some ice and put it in his water - it'll at least keep him cool.

Archived