joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dunno. no car makes it tricky. walking anywhere midday wouldnt be fun. im sure it'll be alright. hopefully it comes back. tho i guess pepco is refusing to make estimates on timing.

NOt sure how they would manage it seeing as that the same threat exist AGAIN today. Might just work on securing the more highly populated areas. Just both of ya's stay hydrated

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0751 AM CDT SAT JUN 30 2012

VALID 301300Z - 011200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS MUCH OF THE OH VALLEY TO

MID ATLANTIC COAST...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER PARTS OF THE NRN/CNTRL

PLAINS INTO LOWER MO VALLEY...

...SYNOPSIS...

A HIGH-LATITUDE OMEGA BLOCK WILL BECOME BETTER-DEFINED WITH

TIME...FEATURING AN AMPLIFYING RIDGE OVER THE CANADIAN PRAIRIE

PROVINCES INTO NRN HIGH PLAINS AND EVOLVING TROUGHS OVER WRN

CANADA/PACIFIC NW AND ERN CANADA/NERN U.S. WITHIN THIS

BROADER-SCALE FLOW REGIME...A VORTICITY MAXIMUM OF CONVECTIVE ORIGIN

OVER WRN OH WILL TRANSLATE EWD...REACHING THE MID ATLANTIC COAST BY

01/00Z...WHILE UPSTREAM A MULTI-BRANCH SERIES OF IMPULSES MOVE INTO

THE NRN/CNTRL PLAINS.

AT THE SURFACE...THE PRIMARY BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL EXTEND FROM A

HEAT/LEE LOW OVER NERN CO/NWRN KS EWD THROUGH THE LOWER MO VALLEY TO

A COMPOSITE SYNOPTIC-OUTFLOW BOUNDARY TRAILING DECAYING OH MCS. E

OF THE APPALACHIANS...OUTFLOW BOUNDARY ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRIDAY

EVENING/NIGHT DERECHO-PRODUCING MCS HAS SETTLED INTO THE CAROLINAS.

EXPECT THIS BOUNDARY RE-DEVELOP NWD INTO THE DELMARVA TODAY WITHIN

STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL WAA REGIME ASSOCIATED WITH APPROACHING OH

VALLEY VORTICITY MAXIMUM. OVER THE NRN PLAINS...AN INVERTED TROUGH

WILL SHIFT EWD ACROSS THE DAKOTAS WITH THE SRN EXTENSION OF BOUNDARY

LINKING WITH LEE LOW OVER THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS.

...OH VALLEY TO MID ATLANTIC COAST THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT...

LATEST CONVECTION-ALLOWING AND MESOSCALE MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGEST THAT

THE PRIMARY SEVERE WEATHER THREAT WILL BE FOCUSED ALONG OUTFLOW

BOUNDARY ASSOCIATED WITH DECAYING OH MCS AS IT EMERGES FROM THE

CREST OF THE APPALACHIANS LATER TODAY. HERE...UPLIFT ALONG THE

RESIDUAL OUTFLOW BOUNDARY/GUST FRONT WILL COINCIDE WITH DEEPER-LAYER

FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH MCV TO PROMOTE AN INCREASE IN TSTMS WITHIN A

MOIST/MODERATELY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WITH MLCAPE APPROACHING 1500-3000

J/KG. KINEMATIC ENVIRONMENT WILL FEATURE A UNIDIRECTIONAL WNWLY

WIND FIELD WITH 50-60 KT FLOW POSSIBLE IN THE 600-500-MB LAYER PER

12Z UPSTREAM SOUNDING AT WILMINGTON OH. AS SUCH...POTENTIAL WILL

EXIST FOR THE EVOLUTION OF ANOTHER BOW ECHO SYSTEM CAPABLE OF

POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS ACROSS PARTS OF THE DELMARVA

INTO CNTRL/ERN NC.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

im kinda worried about the dog if my ac half of the power doesnt come back.

After Irene we had to take the dog to daycare almost everyday without power so he wasnt home alone with no power/ac while we were at work.

Got a friends place you can go to with the dog? The gf?

After Irene we had to take the dog to daycare almost everyday without power so he wasnt home alone with no power/ac while we were at work.

Got a friends place you can go to with the dog? The gf?

im hoping it's something they will fix soonish. they should focus on us city folk first. ;) maybe. g/f out of town.

i did just see a pepco truck go by.

Cousin was camping last night near Harpers Ferry,WV. Barely escaped with his life. Tree crushed his car.....happy he's unscathed. We're all in Princeton,NJ to celebrate his mom's birthday (60th). Nothing up here at least that awakened us but it sounds pretty severe!

Cousin was camping last night near Harpers Ferry,WV. Barely escaped with his life. Tree crushed his car.....happy he's unscathed. We're all in Princeton,NJ to celebrate his mom's birthday (60th). Nothing up here at least that awakened us but it sounds pretty severe!

Wow. Glad that he's okay. If I had been camping in that storm I'd have pooped myself.

im hoping it's something they will fix soonish. they should focus on us city folk first. ;) maybe. g/f out of town.

i did just see a pepco truck go by.

is this something typical where "half" your power goes out? have you at least confirmed the breaker the AC is on didn't trip or something?

is this something typical where "half" your power goes out? have you at least confirmed the breaker the AC is on didn't trip or something?

we very rarely lose power. i was bragging about that last night when out waiting for the storms with kevin ambrose. though i definitely got a sinking feeling watching the horizon lighting up in multiple colored lights from transformers as the storm was coming in. i believe it did happen once before. im not sure how it works as it's peculiar to me but basically all the outlets/lights/etc in the center of my condo are out which includes the a/c unit. as noted we have a listserv and it seems like most people in the complex have the same issue. nothing is tripped and others have tried resetting the breakers.

though i have managed to lose AC almost every time it's gotten to 102+ since i've moved here as our outdoor cooling unit that feeds the interior units tends to fail in high heat.

61 mph gust reported last night at Winchester; don't recall ever seeing higher. thankfully, temp dropped from 86 to 73 in under 20 minutes when the storms came through. Incredibly, it was a really nice 63F this morning. Not much damage around my house - my grill was blown across my patio, eventually blown off, and severed the gas line - however, I've heard of lots of tree damage in Rappahanock county, and around Handley high school in Winchester. Wild night. We lost power many times throughout the storms, but luckily it came back on. Sympathies to all those who are without power. Hope it is back on soon.

i was inside for most of the june 4 08 event and maybe for that reason it didnt seem horrible at my location. one thing with last night was how long the winds kept coming. usually in a svr storm you get a short pulse, but this lasted for a good 10-15 minutes plus--albeit with shorter periods of the most intense winds. i was amazed at how white capped the tidal basin got. waves were actually coming up over the sides.

Got out this morning to find even more damage. Still most of the city is without power currently. Saw a couple of stoplights on metal beams actually bent and twisted and some metal wrapped around a tree. Its going to be awful today without any ac aswell as a chance of another round coming.

we very rarely lose power. i was bragging about that last night when out waiting for the storms with kevin ambrose. though i definitely got a sinking feeling watching the horizon lighting up in multiple colored lights from transformers as the storm was coming in. i believe it did happen once before. im not sure how it works as it's peculiar to me but basically all the outlets/lights/etc in the center of my condo are out which includes the a/c unit. as noted we have a listserv and it seems like most people in the complex have the same issue. nothing is tripped and others have tried resetting the breakers.

though i have managed to lose AC almost every time it's gotten to 102+ since i've moved here as our outdoor cooling unit that feeds the interior units tends to fail in high heat.

ok, so it sounds like they've got the complex wired in such a way where the higher load circuits are on their own branch. sucks, I'd rather live without everything but the a/c on days like this. spoiled food? sure, as long as I am not sleeping in a puddle of my own sweat...good luck today, must be tough for those with pets and/or little ones...

Archived