CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any storm disco for after today should go into a new thread. I haven't looked enough to see if it's worth starting one. ;)

Feel free to add more about the storms in this period (noted in subtitle) in this thread though. Hopefully Kenny approved of it in the end.

Any storm disco for after today should go into a new thread. I haven't looked enough to see if it's worth starting one. ;)

Feel free to add more about the storms in this period (noted in subtitle) in this thread though. Hopefully Kenny approved of it in the end.

lol - Well...I always root for severe just for the excitement of watching a complex situation evolve. This certainly fit the bill. I feel sorry for folks who are still w/o power, though. We had the generator running most of the time and PEPCO brought our group of outages back online.

Historic event that will go down in the record books. This was mighty impressive. Even though there was a lot of damage and even some fatalities in the mix, you have to appreciate the true power that even the DC area atmosphere can kick out.

lol - Well...I always root for severe just for the excitement of watching a complex situation evolve. This certainly fit the bill. I feel sorry for folks who are still w/o power, though. We had the generator running most of the time and PEPCO brought our group of outages back online.

Historic event that will go down in the record books. This was mighty impressive. Even though there was a lot of damage and even some fatalities in the mix, you have to appreciate the true power that even the DC area atmosphere can kick out.

Any event worth anything has massive damage and disruption to everyday life. It is rare to get a big event that is low impact (2/11/06). The whole point of high impact events is to have a high impact.

Any event worth anything has massive damage and disruption to everyday life. It is rare to get a big event that is low impact (2/11/06). The whole point of high impact events is to have a high impact.

yes.. tho i think there is probably an argument to winter being a better time to lose power. at least for a while. i am going to post loops for june 08. i will try to put it together later. the one thing june 08 had that is seemingly quite rare is the multiple rounds all in a short period. in that sense it lives on i suppose.

yes.. tho i think there is probably an argument to winter being a better time to lose power. at least for a while. i am going to post loops for june 08. i will try to put it together later. the one thing june 08 had that is seemingly quite rare is the multiple rounds all in a short period. in that sense it lives on i suppose.

That warning map you posted earlier was incredible. That thing really covered some ground. Props to you for being one of the main people who kept saying we wouldn't get missed to the south.

That's what was sticking out in my mind. The secondary and tertiary lines.

I helped my brother move today and as a result, did a lot of driving between herndon/reston and leesburg. One thing that struck me as impressive was how consistent the damage was wherever I went. Debris everywhere with a smattering of large limbs and trees down.

Since no one wants to make moving day last any longer than it needs to, I couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked out with my camera, but I did grab a few photos with my phone.

WP_000899_resized.jpg

Large tree down in front of Herndon Middle School

WP_000907_resized.jpg

My brother was nice enough to give everyone a scale as to the size of these trees that came down. The one he's standing on was pretty massive, with two trees that formed from one trunk. Just out of frame off to the left is a row of townhouses, so they're definitely lucky this didn't angle just slightly to the left

WP_000925_resized.jpg

This is a driving range in Sterling, right off of Rt. 28. The larger poles holding up the netting are telephone poles, and the poles attached to the tops of the telephone poles are what look to be pretty thick metal. They used to all be standing straight up, holding the netting up

WP_000926_resized.jpg

A few crappy cell pics from my wifes phone here in Manassas:

Manassas mall limbs down:

2012-06-30_20-59-32_18.jpg

Wendey's on Sudley road closed:

2012-06-30_21-03-35_691.jpg

The Exxon on Sudley lost a good portion of the roof over the pumps:

2012-06-30_21-05-58_999.jpg

2012-06-30_21-06-04_263.jpg

Lucklily we have power and the worst of the storm seems to have hit just east of here.

I don't post in this forum often but Man, I feel really bad for all those without power today and for the next couple of days with temps in the 90s/lows in the 70s, as well as those who had property damage. I haven't read this entire thread but this morning on the news they were comparing the damage to that of a hurricane. Amazing.

Anywho, I hate losing power, which is why I got a generator a couple of years back. Unfortunately, it's not working right (runs for a while then guts off). I lost power for about an hour or so last Saturday due to a wreck or something I think, and it was terrible. I don't know what's worse, the boredom or the heat when you don't have power. Having to go several days this time of year without power is unimaginatively bad. Makes you wonder what they did in the old days before ac and electricity.

I guess the "good news" is you guys aren't as hot as the southeast. I don't know how we would be able to bear temps we have had without AC/power. (I hit 110 friday and a "cold" 108.7 yesterday).

But I hate you guys suffered so much damage and going through this power outage for so long this time of year. I wish the best for all of you stuck in this bad situation.

Approaching 36 hours with no power. It hasn't been unbearabable yet but it would be without a generator and fans blowing.

My whole neighborhood is down. Pepco isn't sure when it's coming back. I haven't seen any crews working the hood yet and that's not a good sign.

The only real bummer is the pool is closed. Apparently they can't let people swim unless the pumps and filters are running. They should make an exception today.

Approaching 36 hours with no power. It hasn't been unbearabable yet but it would be without a generator and fans blowing.

My whole neighborhood is down. Pepco isn't sure when it's coming back. I haven't seen any crews working the hood yet and that's not a good sign.

The only real bummer is the pool is closed. Apparently they can't let people swim unless the pumps and filters are running. They should make an exception today.

:( - Dang, Bob.

We were somehow on a main feeder with no line damage in our neighborhood so we got restored last night pretty fast. Not sure if this helps you at all but most of the stores in our area (Trader Joe's on 29 and our Giant) are back open and operational. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Yahoo has pictures that are unbelievable - check them out: http://news.yahoo.com/storms-mid-atlantic-power-outages-could-last-days-091242847.html

And, derecho has formally eneterd the lexicon of the average citizen in the mid-Altanic.

I got power on back last night at 10:30, exactly 24 hours after it flickered off. I feel for the folks that don't yet have power - stay cool folks and drink plenty of water.

This is how I'd compare it to recent severe weather events:

1) Snowmageddon 2010 (lost power for 12 hours; tore my bicep shoveling my driveway - OUCH)

2) Isabel 2003 (lost not only power, but water too)

3) Derecho 2012

Yahoo has pictures that are unbelievable - check them out: http://news.yahoo.com/storms-mid-atlantic-power-outages-could-last-days-091242847.html

And, derecho has formally eneterd the lexicon of the average citizen in the mid-Altanic.

I got power on back last night at 10:30, exactly 24 hours after it flickered off. I feel for the folks that don't yet have power - stay cool folks and drink plenty of water.

1) Snowmageddon 2010 (lost power for 12 hours; tore my bicep shoveling my driveway - OUCH)

3) Derecho 2012

So funny you mentioned the average citizen knowing the word derecho.... My mom sent me a text this morning saying she now knew what a derecho was after spending the day yesterday in MoCo visiting my grandmother and seeing all the damage. She didn't get a whole lot of damage at her place and wasn't really aware of what it was that came through Friday night.

I bet the NPS dude I chatted with at the Jefferson while soaked and in psuedo shock was excited to get the scoop early. I gave him a tutorial on the different types of severe weather and explained why a derecho was more often than not the king for damage. We tried to figure out what derecho meant but he only took two year of spanish in HS as did I.

Yahoo has pictures that are unbelievable - check them out: http://news.yahoo.co...-091242847.html

3) Derecho 2012

Oh god...so now every time we have a damaging wind event people will call it a derecho. :|

Are there places that archive model runs? Like 1-10 / 7-14 days out at this pt. I am writing something for CWG about "lack of warning" but did not really save any imagery leading up to the event.

LOL -- i kid you not, i just heard a little girl outside (presumably moving a branch near a car with her parents) say "the derecho was worse than a hurricane right?"

Archived