amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Weekend "Storm" Discussion Part III, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing 0.25-0.3" or so QPF at a glance, but if you space that over 6 hrs...I don't think it would accumulate much. I thought at first this would be better than what is depicted, so not sure about the actual prog..but that's what it has.

I'd still go t-2 as you could still get one of those goofy bands and the NMA does take the temps to freezing. Of course, it probably will be the wettest model of the bunch.

I agree. I thought we'd get into the heavier stuff as well going by the 30 hour panel. All in all, it is wetter, but you're right about the QPF over a longer stretch of time.

It still looked like it would get a heavier band really close to the city, so it will be almost a nowcast deal possibly. Even this close to an event, the NAM doesn't exactly give me confidence. We'll see what the other models do.

I agree. I thought we'd get into the heavier stuff as well going by the 30 hour panel. All in all, it is wetter, but you're right about the QPF over a longer stretch of time.

trend baby, trend

RGEM went north, now the NAM

it's the start of the last minute shift we've been expecting and are usually on the short end

It still looked like it would get a heavier band really close to the city, so it will be almost a nowcast deal possibly. Even this close to an event, the NAM doesn't exactly give me confidence. We'll see what the other models do.

Yeah, we're at a point where we could easily get a non modeled 30 miles shift or expansion of the heavier QPF. I would like to see the GFS get wetter before I'm totally sold on this.

We need to get into the blue I think for anything over 2", Coastalwx is right. It is agonizingly close and in a distance range where it's not impossible, even if its not modeled.

of note, imho, is the fact that the NAM gets light qpf into Southern PA now

even with decent previous runs it wasn't getting it that far to my recollection

suggests north trend still very possible in my weenie mind

of note, imho, is the fact that the NAM gets light qpf into Southern PA now

even with decent previous runs it wasn't getting it that far to my recollection

suggests north trend still very possible in my weenie mind

Yeah, the precip field is a little more expansive to the north. Don't know, but maybe this indicates the confluence to the north is a little less?

Also, the sref mean total precip is a bit better. It also looks like it likes the idea of the western area of precip that has been modeled with thing being a bit more north and west, which I would think is a good thing. Several have mentioned that area and wondering how it wouldn't provide better results for us. Could we get some banding with that area as it swings through?

Yeah, the precip field is a little more expansive to the north. Don't know, but maybe this indicates the confluence to the north is a little less?

Also, the sref mean total precip is a bit better. It also looks like it likes the idea of the western area of precip that has been modeled with thing being a bit more north and west, which I would think is a good thing. Several have mentioned that area and wondering how it wouldn't provide better results for us. Could we get some banding with that area as it swings through?

Could be the 850 is stronger and more organized expanding the QPF

The SREFs bumped just a little bit north at 09z, but the difference was out in WV near the 700 low. That part was further nw and maybe a bit slower.

Looks like the ensemble mean is just under .25 with the coloring suggesting there is only around a 0.10 inch variation around that mean if I'm reading the map correctly. That would suggest the members are clustered in the .14 to .34 range.

I thought it took a step backwards from 6z and definitely drier for dc vs the nam which has 0.25 exactly for DCA. Either way, neither quite does the trick but perhaps a 30 mile bump can occur? I would not be surprised..

Def drier than 6z... it looked like 5 to 6 mm to me... which is cloe to the NAM

Looks like the ensemble mean is just under .25 with the coloring suggesting there is only around a 0.10 inch variation around that mean if I'm reading the map correctly. That would suggest the members are clustered in the .14 to .34 range.

Yeah that seems right. Looks like the spread is a little higher right on the nrn edge, which makes sense.

It probably won't be uniformly spread out over that time period, at least that's what we need to hope for and that someone gets into a mesosclae band that gives them moderate for awhile.

Wes, that appears to be the x factor of someone going to bed tonight downcast only to end up with 4-6 in a renegade band. I don't know your microclime for these things but I figure those most prone know who they are

The delay might not be a bad thing as it really allows the colder air to wedge in. I'm still not getting worked up over the QPF as there is a closed 700 mb low on the models this morning moving from TN into SE KY. That is traditionally a very favorible setup for VA and the metro area with good forcing up over the cold dome.

There's going to be a pretty sharp cutoff some where in the area between 6" and squat. I'm glad I don't have professionally forecast this storm...but I can't wait to watch the evolution today and tomorrow. Seems like the storm has be 36-48 hours away for 3 days now.

Archived