• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

I'm looking at surface temps and that's probably more a concern, but luckily there will be plenty more runs :)

they go hand in hand to some degree tho. you need an optimal phase to get the best solution. how often does that stuff work out for us? it could for sure but people should be more skeptical.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

idk- i don't think the nam is bad. less precip and a weaker solution but it's splitting hairs a bit at this point. 850 plenty south. A bit of hp to the n&w (1022 not that exciting but it's in a good spot).

Just like the entire stretch leading up, nailing down the interaction of the vorts is tough. 18z kinda stretched them out. Doesn't mean they can't hold hands a little better in 6 hours.

I'm looking at surface temps and that's probably more a concern, but luckily there will be plenty more runs :)

Yeah, surface temps are torchy on this run and I don't see a good reason why. Cloudy with north winds and precip falling and temps are going to jump into the low-mid 40s on Sunday? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll take my chances with northerly flow at the surface and 850 temps near -5C.

Yeah, surface temps are torchy on this run and I don't see a good reason why. Cloudy with north winds and precip falling and temps are going to jump into the low-mid 40s on Sunday? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll take my chances with northerly flow at the surface and 850 temps near -5C.

I was puzzled by that as well. The srefs do the same thing. One of the mets in the Philly subforum mentioned last night that because of data sampling, we might not really have a good handle until the runs tonight. I wonder if we will have it even by then.

Hey, at least it's been something to do weatherwise besides gripe.

Agree. It would only make sense if temps at sunrise were close to 40 and that is very unlikely.

We'll see I guess but unless my memory is completely gone, temps aren't going to rise much until precip ends and clouds thin.

I dont see why, just telling it how it is....

Well pointing people towards a single ensemble member and saying that it shows potential is not "telling it how it is" - ensembles are lower res and are meant to be used together - not individually. So if one single ensemble shows it that doesn't mean it's automatically in the realm of potential.

Well pointing people towards a single ensemble member and saying that it shows potential is not "telling it how it is" - ensembles are lower res and are meant to be used together - not individually. So if one single ensemble shows it that doesn't mean it's automatically in the realm of potential.

We have a potential storm to track. That in itself, is exciting, given the pathetic winter we have had so far.

Right, Beford?

We have a potential storm to track. That in itself, is exciting, given the pathetic winter we have had so far.

Right, Beford?

That doesn't excuse not adding anything to the discussion. I realize he is not the only one but still.

Also...I'm not sure your post has anything to do with what my point was. I wasn't arguing that it is not nice to have a storm to track...I'm trying to show why people are asking why he is not 5-posted.

Agree. It would only make sense if temps at sunrise were close to 40 and that is very unlikely.

We'll see I guess but unless my memory is completely gone, temps aren't going to rise much until precip ends and clouds thin.

If you look at the 12Z NAM, temps start spiking in the early afternoon as precip rates let up, then when the next batch of heavier precip comes in at around 2 pm, the temps start falling again. The model seems to tie the temps to rate of precip, which on the 18Z was signifcantly lighter.

If you look at the 12Z NAM, temps start spiking in the early afternoon as precip rates let up, then when the next batch of heavier precip comes in at around 2 pm, the temps start falling again. The model seems to tie the temps to rate of precip, which on the 18Z was signifcantly lighter.

Ah, didn't dig that deep into temp variance over time. Good catch and makes sense.

Archived