amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a complex solution it's usually safer to run toward the idea that either it won't come together as modeled or it will do so too late, in the wrong spot, etc. As was already noted the Euro was a bit dry in the last snow event but not as bad as some would lead us to believe. It could very welll be it's mishandling the 500 low... but there is plenty of rationalization in this thread that's at least somewhat questionable if not from everyone.

And I said leaning toward *lower* totals. ;)

Guilty as charged. E-wood's map isn't bad at all. It could easily take .4+ qpf to get 2" of snow to accumulate unless we somehow squeeze out below freezing surface temps. I have my doubts about that and I hope I'm proven way wrong.

how? it's 2 quick moving systems, with marginal cold air, and minimal dynamics. I doubt I'll see an inch unless it's on grass.

if we end up with a situation like last winter with an ULL moving overhead, yeah, things could turn out dramatically different from Randy's prediction. but so far that's not on the table.

I think youve seen the solutions that COULD arise ala GGEM, p009 GFS....

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

301 PM EST FRI FEB 3 2012

&& .SHORT TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

SATURDAY...RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE FROM QUEBEC TO OFF THE CAROLINA COAST GETS PUSHED FARTHER EAST AS A TROUGH DROPS SOUTH ACROSS THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES...FURTHER CUTTING OFF THE CLOSED LOW OVER THE CENTRAL GREAT PLAINS. AN EAST-WEST SWATH OF LIGHT TO MODERATE RAIN WILL SPREAD EAST ALONG THE LOW LEVEL FRONT THAT DEVELOPS FRIDAY NIGHT. CHANCES OF PRECIP WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE DAY. RAISED POPS TO CATEGORICAL OVER THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS WITH LIKELIES SPREADING EAST TO ACROSS THE BLUE RIDGE. ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3000 FT COULD SEE ALL SNOW...BUT FOR NOW WENT RAIN/SNOW FOR LOCATIONS WEST FROM THE ALLEGHENY FRONT. UNCERTAINTY COMES FROM THE PLACEMENT OF THE LOW LEVEL FRONT THAT WILL SAG SOUTH THROUGH THE DAY /SINCE COLD AIR CONTROLS FRONTS/. PRECIP WILL BE SOMEWHAT NARROW ACROSS THE FRONT...SO GREATER DETAIL CAN BE PROVIDED BY LATER SHIFTS. MAX TEMPS LIMITED DUE TO NEARLY-IF NOT COMPLETE CLOUD COVER...MID TO UPR 40S NORTH...50F DC AND SOUTH. SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT...12Z MODEL SUITE OF THE ECMWF...SREF...NAM AND GFS HAVE COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT REGARDING THE AFOREMENTIONED STORM SYSTEM. THE UPPER TROUGH WILL HANG BACK OVER THE GREAT LAKES A BIT LONGER THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT. THIS WILL ALLOW THE SURFACE LOW TO TRACK A BIT FURTHER NORTH ALONG THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY WITH BANDED PRECIPITATION CONTINUING SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE NAM AND SREF REMAIN THE COLDEST OF THE 4 SOLUTIONS WITH DECENT COLD AIR ADVECTION AND BACKING FLOW TAKING SHAPE. THIS POSES SOME CONCERN FOR HIGHER SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OVER THE MOUNTAINS BUT THE NAM HAS BEEN NOTORIOUSLY COLD FOR THE PAST FEW SYSTEMS. THE GFS AND ECMWF THERMAL PROFILES ARE A BIT WARMER. SIDED TOWARD A BLEND BUT DID STAY ON THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE WITH SNOWFALL. BUFKIT SOUNDINGS DO SHOW A CHANGEOVER SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING JUST WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS AND MIXED PRECIPITATION EAST INTO THE KIAD-KDCA-KBWI METRO. ANTECEDENT WARM TEMPERATURES WOULD LIKELY KEEP VERY MUCH FROM ACCUMULATING ON URBAN ROADWAYS BUT A DUSTING ON GRASSY SURFACES CANNOT BE RULED OUT. A GENERAL 1 TO 2 INCH ACCUMULATION APPEARS MORE LIKELY OVER THE HIGH TERRAIN WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS IF COLDER AIR DOES FILTER IN. CONFIDENCE IS HIGH ENOUGH TO GO WITH CATEGORICAL POPS CENTRAL AND SOUTH AND DID PUSH LIKELY POPS FURTHER NORTH TO MATCH NEIGHBORING OFFICES. WE ALSO EXTENDED POP CHANCES INTO SUNDAY AFTERNOON. THE SYSTEM WILL EXIT SUNDAY NIGHT WITH PRECIPITATION ENDING FROM WEST TO EAST DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING.

-- End Changed Discussion --

Guilty as charged. E-wood's map isn't bad at all. It could easily take .4+ qpf to get 2" of snow to accumulate unless we somehow squeeze out below freezing surface temps. I have my doubts about that and I hope I'm proven way wrong.

true. im not necessarily running to the euro verbatim but im leery of totally dismissing it as well in favor of finding the wettest models. as usual some middle ground is probably worthwhile.. tho in a phase or semi phase not much is set in stone around here quite often.

the vort is definitely more strung out this run and the max is trailing a good bit. timing loves to screw us.. just remember that at least.

and with the weaker forcing, weaker precip on sunday and a sloppy mix of rain/snow in the big cities.

and with the weaker forcing, weaker precip on sunday and a sloppy mix of rain/snow in the big cities.

yeah that's a good point too. it is the nam which is like a bouncy ball but certainly nothing set in stone.

Archived