joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel OK since I'll likely get the superband that always sets up to the north and west of the heaviest QPF stripe.

"if" it ends up being close to what it's being proged now, my guess is there will be a 30+/- mile area, north to south, with a WNW/ESE trajectory that will max out snow based on temps and qpf

I'm not sure this type of setup will be like a 1/30/10 that did have that superband since temps are marginal

high elevations west of DC seem to be the sweet spot now

So to get this straight - looks like a 2 piece system - most of the first piece is rain - then the upper support comes and could be mainly snow.

Nam is usually too wet

Wet bulb crash between 54 and 66 -

Wet snow on grass and 1 - 2 inches at best.

Need a phase to bring cold air down. Trends show wetter, but not colder.

Nam on board - GFS - better but not there.

It is as clear as mud!

I am sure the next models will clear it up and it will all be clear by 12 Z Monday!

That would be nice...but define decent? As of now according to NAM its a 2 inch event or so for BWI/Baltimore

That would be more than I have gotten in any event this winter - so that is decent.

There is always a heavy band north and west of where the models put the heaviest QPF. It is usually over Leesburg after those guys spent 3 days whining about being fringed.

:lol:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1014 AM EST FRI FEB 3 2012

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

INCREASED POPS LATE SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT WITH APPROACHING FROM SPREADING EAST AHEAD OF A LOW MOVING EAST FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS. LIGHT SNOW IS POSSIBLE ALONG THE NORTH SIDE OF THE FRONTAL BAND...WHICH WILL BE ACROSS THE LWX CWA...PARTICULARLY SATURDAY NIGHT AND AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS. RECENT WARM WEATHER AND MAX TEMPS AROUND 50F SATURDAY WILL REALLY LIMIT THE ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL AT LOWER ELEVATIONS. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS WERE ADDED ACROSS THE DC METRO FOR LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND FURTHER GUIDANCE TODAY WILL ALLOW FOR A MORE CONFIDENT FORECAST.

next watch it overphase and be rain

the nam is nice overall with other players too -- 50/50ish low and ridging backing into greenland. what's modeled is not very common here tho so kinda hard to believe.

Barely, but snow in N VA and DC at 48 on 12z RGEM. Snow in MD as well

RGEM ain't bad and consistent with other models

remember, NAM has bulk of our stuff failing after 48 hrs and RGEM looks to do the same imho

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/600_100.gif

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/12_054_R1_north@america_I_QPFTYPES_t6_048.png

I sense another Frederick screw job coming, just like in the October storm. Being in a valley has not been kind to my area this year as we are pitching a complete shutout.

I can see that, too. Temps at the boundary layer appear to be just so marginal, during the overrunning part, especially. Hard to believe that is a major concern the first week in Feb.

Being on Parr's Ridge 15mi. south of you has been good (relatively) for Clarksburg.

next watch it overphase and be rain

the nam is nice overall with other players too -- 50/50ish low and ridging backing into greenland. what's modeled is not very common here tho so kinda hard to believe.

A rex block in the center of the country is rare in itself so the setup is not going to be very easy to apply a lot of the typical caveats. The very basics still apply though in that you want to see the vortmax track south of DC for the best deformation precip and you still want northerly flow in the BL.

A rex block in the center of the country is rare in itself so the setup is not going to be very easy to apply a lot of the typical caveats. The very basics still apply though in that you want to see the vortmax track south of DC for the best deformation precip and you still want northerly flow in the BL.

yeah if the vort goes north of us im mostly disinterested.. tho gymengineer will come in with those special cases. ;)

Archived