joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure I'd spend much time worrying over thermal profiles when the overall features are still changing every six hours...

Slightly flawed logic...the problem is that we've got dewpoints at the start of the overunning event in the mid to upper 30s (no dry air to cool the lower column)...if you want the cooler/drier air to get here sooner...you miss the phase and you have no big deal for the second event.

Slightly flawed logic...the problem is that we've got dewpoints at the start of the overunning event in the mid to upper 30s (no dry air to cool the lower column)...if you want the cooler/drier air to get here sooner...you miss the phase and you have no big deal for the second event.

..I found this post really educational/insightful. Thanks!

Maybe at 18Z a cold high pressure will magically appear to our north. Seems as likely as anything else.

Don't smack me around for asking this, but wouldn't heavier precip (like that being modeled) help to cool the column as well?

Don't smack me around for asking this, but wouldn't heavier precip (like that being modeled) help to cool the column as well?

It physically can occur (not saying it will)....honestly I haven't looked at the soundings from the 12z NAM to even see what we have to deal with regarding p-types for the overruning event..

EDIT: as depicted by the 12z NAM...freezing levels are near 900 mb (with surface temps in the low to mid 40s, dewpoints in the upper 30s) for most of the heavier overrunning precipitation...and even then the heaviest rates stay mainly south of DC...it really looks like snow changes hinge on the mid-level feature...which frankly has trended towards being a decent event.

Archived