amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does that represent the uncertainty "of a phase" or "where it phases"?

it seems at least a light snow event is in the cards, the question is now becoming can it become a moderate one with a more "perfect" phase

it's the spread of 500 mb heights from the individual members...more spread equals more disagreement...so i would say it says there is a great deal of uncertainty in the 500mb height field at this forecast time.

very nice write-up...good thing we have a board though...I prefer to look at potential winter events through a lens other than whether it will affect travel, shut schools, stick to main arteries or cancel Johnny's piano recital

True.. Where else would we quickly know every model is trending to the snowiest one?

the difference between a small event and a moderate one are small it seems, atmospherically speaking

this could end up too warm come tomorrow or passing to our south

we're just gunna' have to wait and see, which is a real pain in the arse because it sure would be nice to get certainty early in the game

In the last accumulating snow we had, the Euro was a bit too dry, but the GFS and NAM were far too wet (remember the non-existent second wave?). Last winter, the drier Euro was closer to being right on a couple of events as well.

An op Euro op GFS blend is much less satisfying than an op NAM and a GFS ens mean blend. The dry models just need to catch on...

the euro is too slow with the initial closed low over the midwest to actually phase with the vort dropping down through canada....so no fun on Sunday...and a cold rain on Saturday night

...So yesterday it was:

CMC RGEM JMA vs Euro, GFS, NAM, UKIE

Now it's

CMC RGEM JMA NAM vs Euro, UKIE, with GFS on the fence...

Despite the trend, and not that weather forecasting is the same as model scoring, but I think that's still enough reason to keep a healthy skepticism...

the euro is too slow with the initial closed low over the midwest to actually phase with the vort dropping down through canada....so no fun on Sunday...and a cold rain on Saturday night

I think Matt or someone else mentioned that if the Euro went with its bias of doing that, it would look like cr@p

the fact that the reason why it does look like cr@p is because of hanging back the energy is good imho vs. some other issue

I think Matt or someone else mentioned that if the Euro went with its bias of doing that, it would look like cr@p

the fact that the reason why it does look like cr@p is because of hanging back the energy is good imho vs. some other issue

yeah it does fit into the narrative of the euro bias...unfortunately that doesn't mean its incorrect.

before we even see the solution either way* , I don't trust the euro much in this setup...It is probably going to hold the southern branch energy back and phase it in too late....

*If it shows a wet/snowy solution, ignore my caveat

I don't expect the euro to get this correct...I said this at hour 30.....it is not going to get the phase properly...at 18z Sunday it still has a closed ULL over northeast Kansas

yeah it does fit into the narrative of the euro bias...unfortunately that doesn't mean its incorrect.

it might be right but this isn't a solution I expect the euro to handle well

Archived