amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The feb 4-5 storm (Obs/Discussions)

Ji

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figures after I post that qpf will probably not back down from where we are now it's doing just that. I guess it's my fault. I'm a good guy so only throw small rocks please. lol

Lots of banking on a near perfect phase. I guess that's to be expected at this point in our craptastic winter. I'd lean toward lighter totals still.

Either way, the nrn edge of the snow shield should have a relatively "decent" band of precip moving across the area, and then pushing off to the se. That's where the best mid level frontogenesis and deformation will be. Tough to say where it sets up, but where ever this does end up developing, I could see this as a band of enhanced echoes in a broad area of relatively weak echoes, right on the nrn edge of the snow shield.

Either way, the nrn edge of the snow shield should have a relatively "decent" band of precip moving across the area, and then pushing off to the se. That's where the best mid level frontogenesis and deformation will be. Tough to say where it sets up, but where ever this does end up developing, I could see this as a band of enhanced echoes in a broad area of relatively weak echoes, right on the nrn edge of the snow shield.

Over my house. :)

Lots of banking on a near perfect phase. I guess that's to be expected at this point in our craptastic winter. I'd lean toward lighter totals still.

I was just joking around that the JMA came in drier. Euro isn't the one to hang on and I'm not saying that just because I don't like it. I've seen it enough when ull's are closed off west of the ms river. Not sure why it does what it does with closed h5 lows out west but we're not just being weenies when we refer to the euro not handling things correctly in these kind of setups.

An I agree, leaning towards higher totals is relatively safe. The entire system is going to draw a bunch of moisuture from the south into it as it traverses. It's already doing that now. I don't think a perfect phase is necessary either for a 1/2" of gpf but we def don't want the vorts to miss each other either.

Too bad the foothills outside of denver aren't within driving distance. There are going to be some 3-4' totals in areas like evergreen.

THIS IS A LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST. Keep that in mind.

20120205-06_MAsnowInitial.png

There is a large amount of uncertainty given the different model runs both against each other and against themselves run-to-run. Surface temperatures will be a problem with this system, only compounding the forecast headaches heading into tomorrow night. I favored some phasing of the disturbance, but did not dig the system as far south and develop as much back-end precipitation as the 12z NAM. This forecast is a blend of the 12z NAM and 12z GFS.

I was just joking around that the JMA came in drier. Euro isn't the one to hang on and I'm not saying that just because I don't like it. I've seen it enough when ull's are closed off west of the ms river. Not sure why it does what it does with closed h5 lows out west but we're not just being weenies when we refer to the euro not handling things correctly in these kind of setups.

An I agree, leaning towards higher totals is relatively safe. The entire system is going to draw a bunch of moisuture from the south into it as it traverses. It's already doing that now. I don't think a perfect phase is necessary either for a 1/2" of gpf but we def don't want the vorts to miss each other either.

Too bad the foothills outside of denver aren't within driving distance. There are going to be some 3-4' totals in areas like evergreen.

In a complex solution it's usually safer to run toward the idea that either it won't come together as modeled or it will do so too late, in the wrong spot, etc. As was already noted the Euro was a bit dry in the last snow event but not as bad as some would lead us to believe. It could very welll be it's mishandling the 500 low... but there is plenty of rationalization in this thread that's at least somewhat questionable if not from everyone.

And I said leaning toward *lower* totals. ;)

There is a large amount of uncertainty given the different model runs both against each other and against themselves run-to-run. Surface temperatures will be a problem with this system, only compounding the forecast headaches heading into tomorrow night. I favored some phasing of the disturbance, but did not dig the system as far south and develop as much back-end precipitation as the 12z NAM. This forecast is a blend of the 12z NAM and 12z GFS.

I think it's a good first guess....nice map update!

yikes, def hurt my confidence here in the district

Archived