• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter '11/'12 Praise Thread

B-Rent

There has to be some good this winter. Every thread is full of whining and bitching. What good or enjoyable weather impacts have you seen this winter in the GLOV?

Here, my 2 year old daughter got to play in her first snow storm. It was less than an inch on the ground, but still, it was a great thing to watch, and I'm sure shes a snow lover now.

Also, Indy people should be happy about this week, after all, its showing our city in a great light nationwide.

Whatchu got?

The countless picture perfect winter sunsets. This winter has featured these in abundance. The sickest shades of brilliant purples and pinks. We have been lucky to have a many clear sunny days followed by broken high clouds at sunset. It's been a photographers dream.

Actually today's sunset might be epic if we can get some broken high clouds to punch in. Pinks , purples and Gold. FTW winter 11-12 for the great shots and mood setters.

Here, my 2 year old daughter got to play in her first snow storm. It was less than an inch on the ground, but still, it was a great thing to watch, and I'm sure shes a snow lover now.

My 21 month old daughter played in the snow for the first time as well. What a special moment it was.

I can certainly praise this forecast for February. I'd rather we have this weather versus below-average cold/dry/cloudy. It's hard to get much better than this...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Detroit&state=MI&site=DTX&lat=42.3831&lon=-83.1022

Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 46. West southwest wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. North northwest wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39. North wind at 5 mph becoming southeast.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. Light and variable wind.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37. North northeast wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 40.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 38.

Warmer winters sometime aid in mushroom development. It's not an exact science but many Morel hunters think is good leading indicator. Last year featured a terrible harvest . that had to do with a very thick frost and slow melt cycle.

Morels are temperamental but if the conditions are perfect they will yield good quantities.

For as bad as this winter has been, I was able to squeeze out a 6" storm and a neighboring county received an 18" LES storm that was fun to check out.

The plus to the nickels and dimes is that they've been intense, albeit nominal. I guess it's better to have an inch in 30 minutes than an inch over a 4 hours.

As awful as this winter has been, good old Great Lakes climo has helped us at least see flakes quite often. My main positive is that our winter spells have been coming on the weekends when most of us are off, so at least we can enjoy it. Arguably our most wintry weekend, Jan 20-22, featured well below normal temperatures and a sandy 3-inch powder snowpack, perfect for the Plymouth Ice Festival, a big winter event here in metro-Detroit that attracts people from all over. The following weekend snows came, once again, just in time for another big winter event, the Frankenmuth Snowfest (this one I did not attend). Lastly, several of our small snow events did overperform (yet I still have not seen a 3+ inch snowfall IMBY).

The snowmaggedon predictions for this winter combined with the memories of us getting slammed with snow time and time again last year at this time really put salt in the wound, but if you are in the "misery loves company" crowd, this is your year....almost everyone is suffering.

I see a snowy March coming. Just feel it the way this winter has gone. I called a snowy Feb last year and we saw record snow, I called for a snowy winter this year that has fallen flat. So take it fwiw. But Ninas back-end-loaded tendencies here combined with the typical March climo that follows a warm winter is screaming either snowy March or at least one big March snowstorm.

The countless picture perfect winter sunsets. This winter has featured these in abundance. The sickest shades of brilliant purples and pinks. We have been lucky to have a many clear sunny days followed by broken high clouds at sunset. It's been a photographers dream.

Actually today's sunset might be epic if we can get some broken high clouds to punch in. Pinks , purples and Gold. FTW winter 11-12 for the great shots and mood setters.

+1

Winter weather wise i cannot find nor think of anything redeeming about this winter. However the torches have been a bit better then what we usually get. Think of 05-06. Much like this winter it was way above normal temps and below normal snowfall from Christmas on but that was a very miserable above normal streak filled with clouds, drizzle, and breezes unlike this winter which has been easier to take. And yeah the sunsets have been very nice.

For as bad as this winter has been, I was able to squeeze out a 6" storm and a neighboring county received an 18" LES storm that was fun to check out.

The plus to the nickels and dimes is that they've been intense, albeit nominal. I guess it's better to have an inch in 30 minutes than an inch over a 4 hours.

Our winter installment plans have been brief but several times, quite intense here downwind of Lake Erie. Was checking out a newly opened metro park here in Summit County today before work, trying to make the most of these sunny 50 degree days in early February.

Archived