• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter '11/'12 Praise Thread

B-Rent

Well no ice dams this year on the roof. The snow doesn't stay on the roof long enough for them to form. This is the first time in the 12 years of owning this house I didn't need to get the roof on the new addition shoveled off.

I can't even stomach talking about the nightmare of water damage I had due to last winter. Massive Ice damming cause a serious leak which destroyed my plaster ceiling in my living room and adjacent bedroom. $$$$$$ sucked dealing with homeowners insurance. Plus trying to find a skilled plaster guy isn't easy. Many claim they can do plaster but skim coating with drywall mud isnt "plaster" work. Lol

Between the astronomically high gas bills and massive expensive house repairs I've really come to enjoy this passive winter. Last year was enough snow an cold to last another 3 years.

...Parts of northern Africa have now probably gotten more snow than Bismarck has this winter. Whens the last time that's happened?

EDIT:

I actually meant to put this in the complaint thread, but heck, I'll keep it here because its cool that its so rare

Loved the 18" snowstorm/LES combo I enjoyed in Allegan County MI :snowing:

Several of the nickel and dime events came during the weekends which gave use 3-5" snow cover to sled on!! :sled:

I was out on those trails following that storm. I think that was the only 4 day period of riding south of Grand Rapids all winter.

I can't even stomach talking about the nightmare of water damage I had due to last winter. Massive Ice damming cause a serious leak which destroyed my plaster ceiling in my living room and adjacent bedroom. $$$$$$ sucked dealing with homeowners insurance. Plus trying to find a skilled plaster guy isn't easy. Many claim they can do plaster but skim coating with drywall mud isnt "plaster" work. Lol

Between the astronomically high gas bills and massive expensive house repairs I've really come to enjoy this passive winter. Last year was enough snow an cold to last another 3 years.

Had a leak top of the bay window one year. I wouldn't of put that in. It forms a ice dam always on top of it. Then the melting snow on the roof comes down getting trapped. Got a little staining on the woodwork where it came in. Things like sky lights, bay windows you need to stay away form here. Thought about having a heating unit installed under the shingles there when I get the roof reshingled.

Well at least Fort Wayne got another surprise snowfall yesterday ... unfortunately it looks like the airport on the south side of town missed out on most of the action ... so it won't rack up their surplus too much ... such a shame. Places around Fort Wayne are already over 30" beating a lot of the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas :lmao:

I was tempted to put a bay window in (I have a large picture window), but seemed like too much work for little gain (plus it faces due north/not much sunlight...ever). If I have to put a new roof on, i'm going with a metal roof. My neighbor has one and never has to snow rake...snow just slides right off.

Its been great not having to shovel and when I have, its been very light and fluffy and melts within a few days. Driving has been great...few slippery days, but they have been rare.

Yesterday I took out all kinds of plants I have growing OUTSIDE and watered, fertilized and let them sit all day in the sun... Can't do that too often in winter around here.

Well at least Fort Wayne got another surprise snowfall yesterday ... unfortunately it looks like the airport on the south side of town missed out on most of the action ... so it won't rack up their surplus too much ... such a shame. Places around Fort Wayne are already over 30" beating a lot of the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas :lmao:

Yep, FWA recorded an inch on southwest side of Fort Wayne, while the northeast side racked up 6+". They are still +4.6", but could have very easily been +10".

• 2 weeks later...

As awful as this winter has been, good old Great Lakes climo has helped us at least see flakes quite often. My main positive is that our winter spells have been coming on the weekends when most of us are off, so at least we can enjoy it. Arguably our most wintry weekend, Jan 20-22, featured well below normal temperatures and a sandy 3-inch powder snowpack, perfect for the Plymouth Ice Festival, a big winter event here in metro-Detroit that attracts people from all over. The following weekend snows came, once again, just in time for another big winter event, the Frankenmuth Snowfest (this one I did not attend). Lastly, several of our small snow events did overperform (yet I still have not seen a 3+ inch snowfall IMBY).

The snowmaggedon predictions for this winter combined with the memories of us getting slammed with snow time and time again last year at this time really put salt in the wound, but if you are in the "misery loves company" crowd, this is your year....almost everyone is suffering.

I see a snowy March coming. Just feel it the way this winter has gone. I called a snowy Feb last year and we saw record snow, I called for a snowy winter this year that has fallen flat. So take it fwiw. But Ninas back-end-loaded tendencies here combined with the typical March climo that follows a warm winter is screaming either snowy March or at least one big March snowstorm.

While I think "Positive Thread" would be a bit better than "Praise thread", I have something to add. Sun and daytime temps in the 40s had organizers of downtown Detroits annual celebration of winter, the "Motown Winter Blast", a little worried in the week leading up to the Blast, but once again, just in time for a local winter event, winter makes a return visit, this time dropping 4.8" of snow at DTW and having temps in the teens on Saturday, the festivals busiest day. It has been sheer luck that in this mild winter, cold/snow keeps popping up just in time for the biggest local winter events. There have been some other winter events that have been cancelled in the area, like in much of the midwest, but all the main "headline" events have Old Man Winter pop in just in time. I only wish hed stay for a while :)

• 2 weeks later...

While this has been a winter sportsman nightmare, this winter really has not been to bad IMO. Snow wise I have enjoyed it more than 06-07 IMBY that is for sure. Many 2-3" snows & a few 4-5" snows IMBY with several of them coming on or just before the weekend. We have been able to get enough for sledding. :sled: I guess it really helped that I was there for the 18" snowstorm/LES event in Allegan.

While this has been a winter sportsman nightmare, this winter really has not been to bad IMO. Snow wise I have enjoyed it more than 06-07 IMBY that is for sure. Many 2-3" snows & a few 4-5" snows IMBY with several of them coming on or just before the weekend. We have been able to get enough for sledding. :sled: I guess it really helped that I was there for the 18" snowstorm/LES event in Allegan.

This is the worst snowcover winter since I started keeping records in the mid-90s, but on a histrorical context, we have seen much worse. And IF this is the clunker than we have been overdue for and we go right back into our snowy pattern next winter (I said IF), its more than worth it. And great point, its been great how the weekends are when the snow, cold hit. Also, the bust Friday with snowfall was the first real bust in what has been a winter of overperforming snow events. So there HAVE been a FEW positives this winter :) Also looking like it might snow in the UP Sat when Im there!

Forgot to mention earlier..Id still take 2006-07 over this year. This winter might be my lowest "peak depth" since I began records in 95-96.

Peak Snow Depth by season imby:

1995-96: 7"

1996-97: 6"

1997-98: 6"

1998-99: 24"

1999-00: 7"

2000-01: 13"

2001-02: 8"

2002-03: 11"

2003-04: 8"

2004-05: 11"

2005-06: 9"

2006-07: 10"

2007-08: 10"

2008-09: 14"

2009-10: 12"

2010-11: 15"

2011-12: 5"

I should surely see some deep snow in the UP next weekend though!

Archived