• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

Not much going on here today. Had a few flurries. I could see shafts of light snow reducing the visibility around the mountains but very little of it reached the valley floor. I like our chances of a minor event (1-2" above 1K, maybe 3" at 2K) on Thursday evening. Weekend event looks like a no go at the moment, but it bears watching.

A little OT, but the Maine legislature has been asked for $300K for an east-west highway study. See http://on.wlbz2.com/AyQ9m6. Having lived in NNE (including Maine) for a time during my college years, it is a topic that interests me. As a somewhat heavy footed highway driver who hates slow pokes on 2 lane roads, I have been really subscribed to the belief for quite some time that Maine (and NNE in general) is in desperate need of an east-west interstate (or interstate equivalent) highway. It would make east-west travel easier for people to make east-west drives across NNE and people from points west and east of NNE to make it to and from there.

Although I don't agree with the proposed routing as Canada has plenty of good east-west roads, using private funds is a good idea as it is a very expensive undertaking and they would never be able to come up with the tax revenue for it. Not to mention the fact that people from ME and NNE would probably never elect politicians who are in favor of raising taxes for this type of venture.

I know how much of a b**** it can be to travel from say Plymouth, NH to Portland, ME (I would actually go I-93 S, NH-101 E, I-95 N instead of back roads) or from say Burlington, VT to Berlin, NH. I don't agree with the current proposal to have the highway from Calais, ME toward Sherbrooke, QC as I feel it should include N VT and N NH. It should run basically from Calais to Burlington via either Bangor or Lewiston, Berlin, St. Johnsbury, and then Burlington.

Basically, I think the best route would be to follow ME-9 from Calais to Bangor before teaming up with I-95 from Bangor to Newport. From Newport it should basically follow the current US-2 to Littleton, NH where it would then double up with I-93 to St. Johnsbury, VT. From St. J, it should then follow the current US-2 in VT until Montpelier where it could then double with I-89 into Burlington. There many other possible variations on this route, but I think this would be the best. It would bring in a bigger population of people and more business to economically depressed far NNE. It would also make it easier for others to get up there an enjoy the great winters up there too, especially that hard to reach area around Sugarloaf!

I've always hated trying to travel east/west in NNE. Laconia and Lebanon are 38 miles apart as the crow flies and it takes a hair under 90 minutes to get there. :stun:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been some pretty epic discussion on their threads the last day or two.  Some really terrific stuff.   The kind of stuff we once did here before everyone got so jaded.

I wish them all the best and hope it comes together for them.

Should I bump troll the last 30 epic discussions for the less than 12 inches met winter snow I have had. We have had many epic discussions this winter and will have more if the conditions warrant it. right now, meh

Should I bump troll the last 30 epic discussions for the less than 12 inches met winter snow I have had. We have had many epic discussions this winter and will have more if the conditions warrant it. right now, meh

I think that MetroWest Boston got even less than you. I figure we got around 9" IMBY.

How many words per inch is that?

I thought the same, when I went out.

odd I thought the same thing, even looks like April with drizzle and fog waiting for the afternoon sun for baseball practice. Geez

yeah as soon as i stepped out the door this morning i noticed. it just felt like one of those damp spring mornings. between the birds chirping, the smell, the temp and the couple of light rain drops...it reminded me of april vacation week when i was a kid. lol.

Most of those were tail chases...people just didn't want to see it.

This is different, we're chasing snow bumbles. This has potential.

Archived