• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

Exactly, I enjoyed the wind yesterday and today. Weather wise we have been in a rut. The death band was cool but that has been it. We got shafted Halloween region wise, not shafted since 6 inches was historic but comparatively. Even the very poorest winters gave excitement and Sultan material, this has just been as bland as can be. Yippee on temp departures, surely record breaking as LL and Snowman have pointed out probably a thousand posts together. Weather wise has to be the most boring I have seen.

And that's what makes this the worst that I can remember, so far. Hopefully we can have something at least 6" or better in the next 6 weeks or so. I don't care if it's March 20 and it melts a day later..just having an event would be nice.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, I enjoyed the wind yesterday and today. Weather wise we have been in a rut. The death band was cool but that has been it. We got shafted Halloween region wise, not shafted since 6 inches was historic but comparatively. Even the very poorest winters gave excitement and Sultan material, this has just been as bland as can be. Yippee on temp departures, surely record breaking as LL and Snowman have pointed out probably a thousand posts together. Weather wise has to be the most boring I have seen.

thing is there haven't even been that many dailies here in the northeast...it's just been a prolonged much above normal pattern. it's not "extreme" warmth on a day-to-day basis. it's just the absence of cold.

i'd find +7F "more interesting" in the heart of summer when it meant something extreme. a +7F in july would be something to talk about. LOL likewise...a -7F in january - because again you are tipping the scales of what would normally be seen for a region.

but having lots of days that are 45F/32F in the dead of winter...all you've done is added DJF to what happens all the time in Oct, Nov, Mar and Apr.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

And that's what makes this the worst that I can remember, so far. Hopefully we can have something at least 6" or better in the next 6 weeks or so. I don't care if it's March 20 and it melts a day later..just having an event would be nice.

Yesterday without football I had some time to check my written records. The perusal confirmed me gut feelings, this winter is the worst weather wise. I am moving to Eastern Romania to the town with 15 feet on the ground and the folks living basically under the snow, that video is amazing.

Yesterday without football I had some time to check my written records. The perusal confirmed me gut feelings, this winter is the worst weather wise. I am moving to Eastern Romania to the town with 15 feet on the ground and the folks living basically under the snow, that video is amazing.

At least you have the superbowl. It's been one kick in the nuts after another for me.

haha...yeah that's not helping this either. another reason i hate when the weather sucks in february and march. i know a lot of people like hockey, NBA and college hoops, but i'm not one of 'em. NFL and MLB for me.

haha...yeah that's not helping this either. another reason i hate when the weather sucks in february and march. i know a lot of people like hockey, NBA and college hoops, but i'm not one of 'em. NFL and MLB for me.

same here-couldnt care less about March Madness etc...I call the 7 weeks b/w football and baseball my wife's vacation from sports...I barely even read the sports page in the sunday paper during these weeks.

even those who like to ski are gettin kicked in the azz....it's not like it's snowing up in vt/nh/maine . where the FUkin precip for the love of christ

and we know most don't care but there is barely any f'n precip anywhere out there......Cali is at what? (besides don't care) 40% of ave...maybe .

are there any decent signs were gonna enter a more stormy pattern....you know more than .4 qpf every 8 days.

how many times can a pattern chanage reshuffle the deck and most of the country not get snow in winter. F la nina that selfish b**ch

even those who like to ski are gettin kicked in the azz....it's not like it's snowing up in vt/nh/maine . where the FUkin precip for the love of christ

and we know most don't care but there is barely any f'n precip anywhere out there......Cali is at what? (besides don't care) 40% of ave...maybe .

are there any decent signs were gonna enter a more stormy pattern....you know more than .4 qpf every 8 days.

After one of the wettest years in the northeast in 11, 12 sure has been dry.

We are the same, sure the March Madness is OK but that's it. I spent part of yesterday looking at Europes videos. Some incredible records.

regarding how bad were getting screwed compared with other areas in the country snow fall wise

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

sierra is at 32% for season to date 4 snow/liquid equiv

montana's however is at 80-100% ...ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/mt_swepctnormal_update.pdf

washington 80-105% as well ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf

Its truly incredible. The numbers that are coming out of the snowless torch of a winter are incredible, this is about as bad as it gets, and for some locales it is the worst (so far). History continues to be made, its fascinating.

I'll have you know that this in unremarkable because Lake Tahoe is also below normal on the season, why can't you understand that....

it's the wind direction that matters in the spring. whether the water temp is 37F or 43F doesn't make a whole lot of difference. if the flow is predominately westerly you have good weather - see 2010.

it's the spring seasons that are dominated by onshore flow that suck - especially when you get consecutive days of onshore flow where you start to moisten up the low levels and thickening the marine layer.

water temps are in the 50s in may / june...but if the flow is onshore...you're still stuck with temps in the 50s.

maybe the crappy weather is 43F and drizzle instead of 38F and drizzle - i could concede to that...but either of those choices suck. LOL.

True, but i'd rather have it 45 and drizzly than 39 and drizzly like we get sometimes...and that June fog that rolls in with 50-55 degree air will be more like 54-60 this year. Particularly with Buzzards Bay and what it does here there seems to be a water temperature threshold for those late day SW fog banks. It won't take long to smash that threshold this year.

Good post.

Hopefully well received, thanks.

There is nothing fascinating about 45F temps in January or Feb. That might be the most boring temp imaginable, unless there are 50kt winds to accompany it.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. Rare birds on the Cape the last week or two, other birds are already returning that I don't normally see yet, mama fox was busy getting her groove on under the last full moon - very loudly I might add, the canal road on some of these days is more like June than February...these are all sights and sounds I don't normally see in February due to the cold/snow. I'm back to biking outdoors, running on the beach etc.

Worst I ever remember. Bar none. Wall to wall warmth, very little snow here OR ANYWHERE for that matter...at least in some bad years someone is getting snow, this year nobody. Totally unique winter.

Archived