• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

6.2 here with some clouds rolling in in the last hour, temp went up from 5.5 to 6.2 with the arrival of the clouds.

On a more exciting note I just received a text message from my uncle who lives in Center Square, NY which is right on Lake Onieda about an hour from Lake Ontario. He said he just had about 20 minutes of thundersnow go through from the lake effect snow bands that are hitting them right now. When I talked to him he had gotten 3 inches in an hour and a half. It's too bad there wasn't another great lake closer to New England so we could enjoy lake effect too.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said to Ray, I make no apologies for having the means to take off. I've earned every cent I've got. However, I am not 'extremely wealthy'. I know a number of extremely wealthy people and I'm not in that league. That's rarified air but I guess it's all relative. If anyone thinks I believe I am some how better than others they certainly know nothing about me. The constant pissing and moaning about how awful this Winter is serves no purpose. People are held hostage by the mindset that the atmosphere is giving them, as TT would say, the cosmic dildo. That is ludicrous. The atmosphere doesn't have the ability to care. There are a few posters here that I've met in person and I consider to be friends. It is these folks I am primarily sharing what I do with. I judge nobody by the money they have. You are mistaken if you think my AK trips are over the top expensive. About $600 in airfare and about $500 in on the ground costs. I buy groceries and we cook every meal. I fill up the airplane if I can get to the pump before my friends do. No hotels and I will still sleep in the bed of the truck if needed. (ok, the last night we stayed at the Hotel Alyeska so we could ski all day and then I caught the red eye home). You spend more on your SR vacations. Perhaps I'll stop posting pics, hell, perhaps I'll stop posting period. The PSU E-wall is all I really need anyway.lol

That is really reasonable for a trip to Alaska...even I could afford that LOL. Surprised you can find a flight that inexpensive these days. I'd love to go.

Yeah, well I have little sympathy I guess. I make sacrifices to live in a more remote snowy place. You want a pizza delivered you pick up the phone. I want a pizza, I make it or drive an hour round trip to pick one up. Bitching that you've got no snow is a waste of time ( not you just the generic bitcher). The "this system won't deliver because none of the others have" is particularly annoying. Whatever Lars, when people say there is no Winter in SNE yet I look out the window and see snow and spend any free time enjoying Winter activities I feel compelled to point out that there are places where Winter lives. The snow drought will make everyone appreciate a good snowstorm all the more when it happens and mark my words, it will happen.

LOL. Well, that's obvious. Get the "when" part down, and you'll have something.

As it happens, it's snowing here now in Oklahoma City. Yay me.

This cold shot having trend the PV much further north will leave us with our coldest temp thus far at ORH of 2F...if that holds up the rest of the winter, that will be the first time since 2005-2006 that we don't hit 0F or colder. The coldest temp of 2005-2006 was also 2F...which occurred on Feb 27th.

Number of days 0F or colder at ORH in the past 10 years:

2002-2003: 7

2003-2004: 8

2004-2005: 9

2005-2006: 0

2006-2007: 4

2007-2008: 2

2008-2009: 4

2009-2010: 1

2010-2011: 2

2011-2012: 0 thus far

This cold shot having trend the PV much further north will leave us with our coldest temp thus far at ORH of 2F...if that holds up the rest of the winter, that will be the first time since 2005-2006 that we don't hit 0F or colder. The coldest temp of 2005-2006 was also 2F...which occurred on Feb 27th.

Number of days 0F or colder at ORH in the past 10 years:

2002-2003: 7

2003-2004: 8

2004-2005: 9

2005-2006: 0

2006-2007: 4

2007-2008: 2

2008-2009: 4

2009-2010: 1

2010-2011: 2

2011-2012: 0 thus far

I am suprised that '04-'05 beat out '03-'04.

I am suprised that '04-'05 beat out '03-'04.

'04 was more intense cold for sure...but January 2005 starting about mid-month is a bit underrated as a cold period mostly because we all think about the obscene amount of snow that fell int he final 2 weeks of that month. But there was some brutal cold mixed in. There was a random cold shot on Dec 20-21, 2004 that produced two lows of 0F or colder...very early in the season for that. I have no memory of that cold shot...as the month was pretty warm overall.

Yeah, I was probably particularly obnoxious this morning.

Really dude? C'mon.

I was likely particularly obnoxious yesterday morning, as well.

All is good, Pete, and sorry for some of those comments. This winter finally got to me a bit, lol. Honestly my job is not that much fun if we aren't getting exciting weather. Wait, I take that back... it is fun but not to the same excitment level. I'm obviously still skiing and doing weather obs and forecasts during the pre-dawn hours, but there is nothing like waking up at 3:45am to see it absolutely nuking; driving 4-wheel-drive up the Mountain Road to the ski resort with 12" of unplowed snow clogging it. Checking snow stakes and snow boards by headlamp in the middle of the northern Greens, as a blizzard rages, and keeping an eye out for the occasional coyote, fox, fischer cat, or moose. Nothing like seeing beedy little eyes glowing in the darkness out in the trees before disappearing in a gust of wind blown snow. Then being the first one into the office and having to shovel out a hole in the 6-foot drift just to get to the door to open a little bit... no sounds but the noise of the wind and falling snow.

I just want some excitement, haha.

I was likely particularly obnoxious yesterday morning, as well.

All is good, Pete, and sorry for some of those comments. This winter finally got to me a bit, lol. Honestly my job is not that much fun if we aren't getting exciting weather. Wait, I take that back... it is fun but not to the same excitment level. I'm obviously still skiing and doing weather obs and forecasts during the pre-dawn hours, but there is nothing like waking up at 3:45am to see it absolutely nuking; driving 4-wheel-drive up the Mountain Road to the ski resort with 12" of unplowed snow clogging it. Checking snow stakes and snow boards by headlamp in the middle of the northern Greens, as a blizzard rages, and keeping an eye out for the occasional coyote, fox, fischer cat, or moose. Nothing like seeing beedy little eyes glowing in the darkness out in the trees before disappearing in a gust of wind blown snow. Then being the first one into the office and having to shovel out a hole in the 6-foot drift just to get to the door to open a little bit... no sounds but the noise of the wind and falling snow.

I just want some excitement, haha.

You have a great job man. Pinch yourself to make sure it's real.

Like I said to Ray, I make no apologies for having the means to take off. I've earned every cent I've got. However, I am not 'extremely wealthy'. I know a number of extremely wealthy people and I'm not in that league. That's rarified air but I guess it's all relative. If anyone thinks I believe I am some how better than others they certainly know nothing about me. The constant pissing and moaning about how awful this Winter is serves no purpose. People are held hostage by the mindset that the atmosphere is giving them, as TT would say, the cosmic dildo. That is ludicrous. The atmosphere doesn't have the ability to care. There are a few posters here that I've met in person and I consider to be friends. It is these folks I am primarily sharing what I do with. I judge nobody by the money they have. You are mistaken if you think my AK trips are over the top expensive. About $600 in airfare and about $500 in on the ground costs. I buy groceries and we cook every meal. I fill up the airplane if I can get to the pump before my friends do. No hotels and I will still sleep in the bed of the truck if needed. (ok, the last night we stayed at the Hotel Alyeska so we could ski all day and then I caught the red eye home). You spend more on your SR vacations. Perhaps I'll stop posting pics, hell, perhaps I'll stop posting period. The PSU E-wall is all I really need anyway.lol

Pete, please don't mistake what I said to you last night as a direct insult. I was merely retorting to your comments re people complaining which I took personally as someone who is not above telling it like it is, or sometimes like it isn't out of frustration. All I'm saying is I try not to judge other people and even though that may not be what you were doing it can come across as such and you see the reaction at times. IE, I think most of us know that's probably not the case, but when things get tough, life is hard, we're tired, frustrated after another non-event and seemingly weeks of nothing....people let loose wrongly or rightly. There's a lot of young struggling students, young mets and everything else, many are just trying to figure out where their next car payment is going to come from so when you and are debating the pros and cons of slopeside condo's at Sunday River vs ski trip to Alaska they probably have a hard time relating not knowing you and I were both like that at some point too.

For years some misunderstood..and to an extent some still do misunderstand my intentions when I post. The only reason I didn't get more crap the other day in being fairly negative at times during the event was that I was primarily the one being worst effect by the "negativity" and despite that I tried playing the devils advocate and in the end, it's not me and it would be like Kevin trying to be normal to negative, it will just never happen. I mean that well also, it's just who we are and I think 99.999% of the people here are great at heart, you included. What I have started to figure out is there are ways of making a point without it being in the face, and in the case of the storm the other day it was pointing out in precise terms how the 12z GFS was wrong, the 12z Euro (at the time) was more right, and that I'd never once seen a storm in my entire life where the bulk of the precip was off the coast deliver a meaningful snow in SNE. Two years ago I'd have handled it differently and maybe more people would have had a negative reaction. Trying to learn as I go that it's not just what is said, it's how it's said.

Anyway like I said, I enjoy the postings and the pictures. I think everyone does. I think everyone in the SNE forum has the very best of intentions are are very good people, aside of Jerry who's groundskeeper Willie'esque fascination with varminants has me frightened. (just kidding Jerry).

It's actually ridiculously warm when you think about it and just looking at the forecast I'm probably +8 through the end of the week.

We're now bordering on epic.

I am pulling for BOS, this is history, and this winter is as bad is it was good last year (down here)/ Fans for futility are back, we got our pattern change, it just did not produce, will phil scooter all did a great job, there is no promise of snow just because the players shuffle...............but even still just impossible for any cold to hold.

I really think BOS has a chance now, this will be fun.

About 1/2" of new snow overnight from LE and upslope. Ground is now white at least. Started out as pixie dust last night with temperatures in the low teens, but has now gone to dendrites as it has warmed into the mid to high 20s. It will probably melt as the sun strengthens during the day, even if we stay below freezing.

Still light snow now.

I am pulling for BOS, this is history, and this winter is as bad is it was good last year (down here)/ Fans for futility are back, we got our pattern change, it just did not produce, will phil scooter all did a great job, there is no promise of snow just because the players shuffle...............but even still just impossible for any cold to hold.

I really think BOS has a chance now, this will be fun.

I don't think they break the futility record. They're too close now and we will get some manner of storm that manages to deliver a few inches before year end, or a couple of rain to snow type events. It'll be a top 5-10 for sure though.

What was astounding about this winter is how it failed. A few weeks back this was supposed to be "winter" and pretty much we all agreed. There was a debate about weeks of winter, or a week, but we all saw a week of winter or 10 days. What we ended up with is a 50 degree day that changed to snow, 1 cold day, 2 cold nights and not much else.

To think the major cities will head into the last week in February +7/8 or above..wow.

CFS fail, euro weeklines..FTW

I don't think they break the futility record. They're too close now and we will get some manner of storm that manages to deliver a few inches before year end, or a couple of rain to snow type events. It'll be a top 5-10 for sure though.

What was astounding about this winter is how it failed. A few weeks back this was supposed to be "winter" and pretty much we all agreed. There was a debate about weeks of winter, or a week, but we all saw a week of winter or 10 days. What we ended up with is a 50 degree day that changed to snow, 1 cold day, 2 cold nights and not much else.

To think the major cities will head into the last week in February +7/8 or above..wow.

CFS fail, euro weeklines..FTW

Think about this, ORH since Dec 1 has had 26 days of +10 or better...........thats insane, meanwhile yesterday could not even produce a double digit negative departure at one of the big 4.

Archived