12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how the cold shot just totally evaporated...what happened to the PV moving in?

Its cold up here... brief but make no mistake about it. My high for the day so far is 4.8F. MVL is 6F with a wind chill of -10F in the middle of the afternoon.

Daytime high at 1,500ft is 2F with gusty winds.

Most of the stations are missing in this area, but when it was full of temps, it was very easy to see the dividing line in CNE where you go from temps of like 0F to +7F, to mid teens... down in SNE it looks like a seasonably cool day with highs in the 20s to 30F.

Very sharp gradient at H85 really highlights the cold, too.

I know I am going to get no sympathy (not really looking for it) but just to show everyone... this is *not* a good winter or even close to it up here. Although we've received over 60" down in the village, and 124" around 3,000ft above that on the upper elevations of Mansfield, unless something drastic happens, we are going to end up waaaay below normal.

2009-2010 was the lowest snowfall total here at the mountain in the last 15 years (since 1997) with 246". This season is on pace to be lower than that, making this potentially the worst winter here in the last 15 years.

These are the 4.5 seasons I have worked at this place doing snow measurements, broken down by month. I miss the 100-inch months or the storm cycles of 40-60" in 5 days type of stuff. This season the best we can do is 29" in 10 days in late January.

This is the snowfall totals from the past 15 years... average of 325". This season will be lowering that average, lol.

This winter has sucked and you know you won't get sympathy from these guys, but with that said, there are two huge differences between the northern greens and the CP. Being from the CP and living in the NEK now, its totally different obviously. But, even with snow on the ground, its not a good year at all. With most of the people's logic who think it's not a bad winter up here, its like saying its not a bad winter in CT because they've had 15" of snow because the mid atlantic has had 4" and they should have the right to be complaining not you because you've had more even if its 15" YTD. Its relative for everyone and everybody is a greedy bastard when it comes to snow. Just how it goes. So people who btch because people are pointing out snow deficits in northern areas need to stop because it's been bad everywhere, not just in SNE-land.

See now that looks epic...

But why find the b*tching repulsive? Just because someone is saying that stuff doesn't mean they aren't outside enjoying what they are given.

I wouldn't take every comment about how rough it has been to mean "I'm sitting inside all day long and refuse to go outside." The complaining makes you lazy arguement, I just don't get it. I can complain but I'm sure I spend more time outside wandering around the mountains than most people... just because Kevin says its been an awful snowfall year doesn't mean he's lazy; heck he runs 5-10 miles a day.

Even if I say its not that good, doesn't mean I'm not enjoying whats there. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. We all love snow so it doesn't really make sense to be cheerleading what might end up being the least snowiest winter in 15 years (up here).

I guess I just don't like complainers. You are right, just because some one complains doesn't mean they are lazy. I am a very motivated person, I try to surround myself with motivated people. The common thread I have seen with these type individuals is they are more likely to think about how to do something than why it can't be done. They also tend not to be complainers. Again, find a post where I said this was a fantastic Winter. I have never said that. It obviously has been disappointing. I have only tried to say despite the adverse weather regime there are plenty of Winter sports activities in full swing and there is no reason to hang your head in defeat.

There are those who simply are philosophically determined never to complain about anything. It's actually an admirable trait (and one that I cannot claim). It goes hand-in-hand with such traits as not boasting about one's own enviable circumstances and not flaunting them in the faces of those less endowed.

Edit: Not impugning you, PF, lest you take it that way.

Et tu Larvay? I take it you are aiming this at me. I assure you when I post pics I'm not trying to flaunt anything. I am really into what I do and I like to share what I see with others that might be interested. I was once inspired by the tales of far off places and seduced by the adventure that was promised. Hopefully somebody sees a pic and says, "That looks cool, I'm going to go there and check it out." I love when people share pics of their travels regardless if it's a snowy landscape or a picture of some forlorn cityscape. Flaunt, no, share, yes.

You are having a terrible winter there...yes...right there with the CP folk compared to climo. I just lost my snow cover 6 days ago and when I still had it I considered it a terrible winter and didn't try to spin it into an average winter or even half decent because I had snow cover from Jan 12 until then and ice on the ponds....that is something that happens every winter, thin snow cover doesn't make it decent...the winter is gauged by climo when determining where it ranks on the scales.

No, I'm having a fun Winter. I don't care about climo. All I ask of Winter is that it is cold enough to ski, go ice fishing etc. I suffer all off season waiting for the return of snow. Of course I would like it to be snowy, it hasn't been. C'est la vie. I just deal with the trauma differently. For instance, I'm already getting psyched for how much better next Winter is likely to be.lol

The disconnect is that Pete doesn't use climo as the main indicator, he uses is own level of happiness and fullfillment and as an upbeat guy with expansive resources....he is never going to have a "miserable" winter....or spring, or summer, or fall, for that matter. Remeber that the plea to distinguish your own personal sense of life from the grading of a season relative to climo is also applicable to the "happy" crowd, as well. If you say someone is biased because they are "miserable", you also maybe biased because you're "happy".

It must be weighted against climo.

You're a very happy guy......we appreciate that, Pete, but you still have to acknowledge how poorly this season has done relative to climo.

I am typically a fairly happy person. I have never said that this season is measuring up to even average standards. That said, it's not over.

Yea, that is kind of an elitist, condescending tone, Pete.....many people do not enjoy the level of autonomy that you do, or are of the means that you are.

You must take that into account...however I do agree that the whining gets to be a bit much. I def. go overboard.

I like to vent.

Yeah, I was probably particularly obnoxious this morning.lol I make no apologies for having some means to do things. I work my fingers to the bone, literally. I do physically demanding and often dangerous work. I have several decades of it under my belt. I've paid my dues and am continuing to pay them. Tomorrow I'll be out there as the sun comes up swinging steel or standing walls up. Not as glamorous as far flung mountain ranges.

Yeah that's how I look at it. As I've said plenty of times, growing up in the Hudson Valley south of Albany... makes this look like a good winter. But I'm basing it what is normal where I am right now... I don't want to say, hey this has been a great winter because there's more snow on Mount Mansfield than there is in Burlington. Not a big surprise. You can't sit and say winter's been good on the East Slope because there's been more snow than Boston.

Sure the East Slope could have 4-8" of crusty snow on the ground (likely similar to down in town up here based on his pictures)... but that's what downtown Albany and Hartford should look like this time of year. We should be in the like 14-24" range in the hill towns, that to me would be climo.

But there is quite the fear of being grouped in with the coastal plain in any manner what so ever. It seems like as long as the East Slope has more snow than the coastal plain, it is a great winter.

Really dude? C'mon.

god almighty ski mrg is irritating.

I view you with the same high regard.

Ice was about 8-10" thick vs 18-24" this year. They definitely avoid some of those torches where it was in the upper 50s down here. Pretty cool to see pickup trucks driving around on the ice. Pic is Center Harbor Bay with some huts in the background. Even the wife got to enjoy some winter.

post-33-0-22700000-1329093790.jpg

It's a shame you didn't get to see this event in all its glory. I heard only 1900 derby entry tickets were sold compared to more than 5000 last year. I didn't even bother going up to Meredith today.

It's a shame you didn't get to see this event in all its glory. I heard only 1900 derby entry tickets were sold compared to more than 5000 last year. I didn't even bother going up to Meredith today.

It was pretty cool to see, yesterday. People out there with firepits, frying turkeys, drinking...it was a great day to do it with no wind and temps in the 30s.

Ice was about 8-10" thick vs 18-24" this year. They definitely avoid some of those torches where it was in the upper 50s down here. Pretty cool to see pickup trucks driving around on the ice. Pic is Center Harbor Bay with some huts in the background. Even the wife got to enjoy some winter.

post-33-0-22700000-1329093790.jpg

Nice Scott! Did you ask if they were hitting? Curious what they were after. Ice is 14-16" here but obviously smaller bodies of water. When were you in the upper 50's? Jeeesh.

Nice Scott! Did you ask if they were hitting? Curious what they were after. Ice is 14-16" here but obviously smaller bodies of water. When were you in the upper 50's? Jeeesh.

I think even you got to 48..lol. It was when you were gone, about 10 days ago or so.

They were getting perch and some bass....I thought I heard someone say salmon, but I think you had to throw those fish back.

That lake is deep and some near shore areas still didn't freeze, but there is a current there. Some of the smaller lakes had thicker ice. Snowpack was about 3-6" in areas that got a good dosage of sun..even some bare spots in the typical torched areas, but shady areas had maybe 8-9" of rock hard snow. It was nice to see, after this awful winter out this way. Temps didn't make it much above 10-12F there with a biting wind. Bone chilling! Kind of amazing how nothing can freeze here, but different world north of KCON. Snowpack in the woods made it down to about Hooksett or a bit south of there, with patchy snow into MHT. I love it up there.

Yea, that is kind of an elitist, condescending tone, Pete.....many people do not enjoy the level of autonomy that you do, or are of the means that you are.

You must take that into account...however I do agree that the whining gets to be a bit much. I def. go overboard.

I like to vent.

Pete when you talk about people in life that don't complain and hold that out as some hallmark of character, I know a lot of extremely wealthy people (as I presume you to be), people in prominents positions, and one trait each and every one of them have in addition to an extreme work ethic is humbleness. I think everyone appreciates the photos and stories, but there seems to be a desire to turn around and label people as complainers that don't get to live your life, have your resources and take 2-3 week breaks to one of the snowiest places on earth. Humbleness is a character trait I think many find just as compelling as "not being a complainer."

I'd rather have someone complain about reality than constantly, indirectly, leting us know how much better than others they are. Maybe not your intent at all and it may be just the way the postings read, but it seems that enough here take it as such.

Ooooffa! I was enjoying temps about 70 degrees colder. Glad I missed that.

US am qual at The Orchards this year. Now, it's been at my course the past 3yrs and I havent' even bothered since I know I can't play 36 holes under par from the tips there. Maybe 1 out of 25 times trying. But I've played the Orchards about 15 times and been par or better 7 times.

I'm taking advantage of this mild weather and getting ready.

Still skiing though, got in 7 days so far, that's about as many as in the last 5 yrs total. No sledding though, poor watering holes out your way must be hurti....oh wait, prob not.

US am qual at The Orchards this year. Now, it's been at my course the past 3yrs and I havent' even bothered since I know I can't play 36 holes under par from the tips there. Maybe 1 out of 25 times trying. But I've played the Orchards about 15 times and been par or better 7 times.

I'm taking advantage of this mild weather and getting ready.

Still skiing though, got in 7 days so far, that's about as many as in the last 5 yrs total. No sledding though, poor watering holes out your way must be hurti....oh wait, prob not.

Wow, can't believe you've been golfing.lol I'll be ready to golf when the weather here breaks. You've got me thinking my clubs are the equivalent of old, intermediate skis. I'll be replacing my driver as a B-day present to myself. Shouldn't have bought a regular flex shaft but I didn't know any better when I bought it. Haven't seen any snow machines at Liston's for a week. I think they are staying off the trails to preserve them until we get more snow. One 3-6" storm would be all it would take to get them back. Looking forward to a round at the ranch some warm sunny, windless day in May. It will be here sooner than you think.

Pete when you talk about people in life that don't complain and hold that out as some hallmark of character, I know a lot of extremely wealthy people (as I presume you to be), people in prominents positions, and one trait each and every one of them have in addition to an extreme work ethic is humbleness. I think everyone appreciates the photos and stories, but there seems to be a desire to turn around and label people as complainers that don't get to live your life, have your resources and take 2-3 week breaks to one of the snowiest places on earth. Humbleness is a character trait I think many find just as compelling as "not being a complainer."

I'd rather have someone complain about reality than constantly, indirectly, leting us know how much better than others they are. Maybe not your intent at all and it may be just the way the postings read, but it seems that enough here take it as such.

Like I said to Ray, I make no apologies for having the means to take off. I've earned every cent I've got. However, I am not 'extremely wealthy'. I know a number of extremely wealthy people and I'm not in that league. That's rarified air but I guess it's all relative. If anyone thinks I believe I am some how better than others they certainly know nothing about me. The constant pissing and moaning about how awful this Winter is serves no purpose. People are held hostage by the mindset that the atmosphere is giving them, as TT would say, the cosmic dildo. That is ludicrous. The atmosphere doesn't have the ability to care. There are a few posters here that I've met in person and I consider to be friends. It is these folks I am primarily sharing what I do with. I judge nobody by the money they have. You are mistaken if you think my AK trips are over the top expensive. About $600 in airfare and about $500 in on the ground costs. I buy groceries and we cook every meal. I fill up the airplane if I can get to the pump before my friends do. No hotels and I will still sleep in the bed of the truck if needed. (ok, the last night we stayed at the Hotel Alyeska so we could ski all day and then I caught the red eye home). You spend more on your SR vacations. Perhaps I'll stop posting pics, hell, perhaps I'll stop posting period. The PSU E-wall is all I really need anyway.lol

Wow, can't believe you've been golfing.lol I'll be ready to golf when the weather here breaks. You've got me thinking my clubs are the equivalent of old, intermediate skis. I'll be replacing my driver as a B-day present to myself. Shouldn't have bought a regular flex shaft but I didn't know any better when I bought it. Haven't seen any snow machines at Liston's for a week. I think they are staying off the trails to preserve them until we get more snow. One 3-6" storm would be all it would take to get them back. Looking forward to a round at the ranch some warm sunny, windless day in May. It will be here sooner than you think.

I'll barter advice on the clubs, just help me out on the email I sent you....

Key is the launch monitor and fitting. Not much diff than skis and boots.

Not really golfing, but hitting the range. Golf and ski in hudson. It's paradise. Golf range attached to a store that sells clubs and skis. I go there 3-4x week.

I'll barter advice on the clubs, just help me out on the email I sent you....

Key is the launch monitor and fitting. Not much diff than skis and boots.

Not really golfing, but hitting the range. Golf and ski in hudson. It's paradise. Golf range attached to a store that sells clubs and skis. I go there 3-4x week.

Hey Doug, just read the e-mail you sent. Missed it somehow. I'll send you a thoughtful response soon. I'm beat and about to crash but I'll drop you a line about things ASAP.

Hey Doug, just read the e-mail you sent. Missed it somehow. I'll send you a thoughtful response soon. I'm beat and about to crash but I'll drop you a line about things ASAP.

No worries, I figured your inbox was smashed full and thought I'd remind you. Really appreciate any and all advice and suggestions etc. And let's do that day at the Beast, just pick a day.

Et tu Larvay? I take it you are aiming this at me. I assure you when I post pics I'm not trying to flaunt anything. I am really into what I do and I like to share what I see with others that might be interested. I was once inspired by the tales of far off places and seduced by the adventure that was promised. Hopefully somebody sees a pic and says, "That looks cool, I'm going to go there and check it out." I love when people share pics of their travels regardless if it's a snowy landscape or a picture of some forlorn cityscape. Flaunt, no, share, yes..

Not really talking about the pics, rather, the "I don't know why everyone's complaining about not having snow -- I've got plenty!" type of comments.

Believe it or not, most here want to look out their own windows and see heavy, heavy snow actually falling and accumulating at some point(s) during a winter.

Not really talking about the pics, rather, the "I don't know why everyone's complaining about not having snow -- I've got plenty!" type of comments.

Believe it or not, most here want to look out their own windows and see heavy, heavy snow actually falling and accumulating at some point(s) during a winter.

Yeah, well I have little sympathy I guess. I make sacrifices to live in a more remote snowy place. You want a pizza delivered you pick up the phone. I want a pizza, I make it or drive an hour round trip to pick one up. Bitching that you've got no snow is a waste of time ( not you just the generic bitcher). The "this system won't deliver because none of the others have" is particularly annoying. Whatever Lars, when people say there is no Winter in SNE yet I look out the window and see snow and spend any free time enjoying Winter activities I feel compelled to point out that there are places where Winter lives. The snow drought will make everyone appreciate a good snowstorm all the more when it happens and mark my words, it will happen.

Archived