• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

Sorry to say but us in the mountains are right there with the coastal plain folk again. I don't know how much snow you've had in the last 30 days, Pete, but I'm guessing it can be counted on two hands. We had a decent run from Xmas through most of January (which in fact still came out below normal in snowfall at the ski area for January, despite some on here thinking we were buried in snow). Now we haven't seen anything measurable in like 10 days and the snow is tired, old, worn-out, and dusty looking from all the dry sand getting kicked around in roads and parking lots. I mean there's still around 8" on the ground in town but south facing slopes are melting out from the mild, sunny days of late and snowbanks are black from grime. Lovely.

I cannot imagine you have been all that more snowy than the northern Greens and up here, we are falling wayyy back below normal.

November: Well below normal snowfall.

December: Well below normal snowfall.

January: Just a little below normal snowfall.

February: Heading for well below normal snowfall

We are not right there with the CP folk. We have snow cover and have had snow cover for the balance of the Winter. However, I'm not contending that this has been a stellar Winter only that it hasn't totally sucked. I have skied my azz off, I've been able to ski all my x-c trails daily. I have had a blast sledding with my daughter (today we are skiing and then we're coming back here to have "Olympic Luge competitions"lol). The ice has been great for skating and fishing (big weekend of ice fishing planned next weekend and we may camp out). Sure we need a refresher and of course I would like to have seen more snow to date. The fact of the matter is I haven't wasted a single second pissing and moaning about how awful this Winter has been. You get lemons, you make lemonade. Furthermore, I am not held captive by the "woe is me, it's never going to snow again, bring on Spring" mindset. I am full of optimism that we will still see some decent snow between now and the bitter end, I'll call it May 1st though I'll continue to hold out hope for a rogue snowfall beyond that date. I will not be a victim of a sub par Winter and display symptoms of the Stockholm Syndrome by wishing for warm weather. Big finish to Winter coming up the next 8-10 weeks. Bank on at least one major bomb to book end snow season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are not right there with the CP folk. We have snow cover and have had snow cover for the balance of the Winter. However, I'm not contending that this has been a stellar Winter only that it hasn't totally sucked. I have skied my azz off, I've been able to ski all my x-c trails daily. I have had a blast sledding with my daughter (today we are skiing and then we're coming back here to have "Olympic Luge competitions"lol). The ice has been great for skating and fishing (big weekend of ice fishing planned next weekend and we may camp out). Sure we need a refresher and of course I would like to have seen more snow to date. The fact of the matter is I haven't wasted a single second pissing and moaning about how awful this Winter has been. You get lemons, you make lemonade. Furthermore, I am not held captive by the "woe is me, it's never going to snow again, bring on Spring" mindset. I am full of optimism that we will still see some decent snow between now and the bitter end, I'll call it May 1st though I'll continue to hold out hope for a rogue snowfall beyond that date. I will not be a victim of a sub par Winter and display symptoms of the Stockholm Syndrome by wishing for warm weather. Big finish to Winter coming up the next 8-10 weeks. Bank on at least one major bomb to book end snow season.

Most of the berks outside of remote glens have been tough. I heard from others that snowmobiling has been pretty bad as well as cross country skiing.

I have had a blast sledding with my daughter (today we are skiing and then we're coming back here to have "Olympic Luge competitions"lol).

Gonna be heading to the hill up the road later for some sledding with the kids. We have bare spots on south-facing slopes so we'll just go over to the north side and explore that. 13F with some wind ... time to toughen these five-year-olds up.

Most of the berks outside of remote glens have been tough. I heard from others that snowmobiling has been pretty bad as well as cross country skiing.

The west side of the crest has had a tougher time. The point is, if you want to do winter sports you can. You just have to stop bitching about how bad the Winter is and get out after it. I'll never understand the defeatist attitude. There's snow and ice enough to get out and have fun with. Pics from Friday. Ok, lest I grow roots here in front of the computer it's time to get out in the cold for Winter fun. Love the single digits.

Gonna be heading to the hill up the road later for some sledding with the kids. We have bare spots on south-facing slopes so we'll just go over to the north side and explore that. 13F with some wind ... time to toughen these five-year-olds up.

Good for you Eric. Have a blast, it's fast fast FAST!!!!

Pete, repeat after me:

It has been a well below seasonal normals for snowfall in my backyard

That's it. No one is saying you can't have fun with what you have gotten. Just it has been boring and there has been a general lack of snowfall.

I skied Friday and I will ski Monday at B'East

We enjoy snow while it is falling, too. Not just 4 week old stuff on the ground.

ski butternut has had 35 inchs on the winter so far--cant remember a season that low....most who have gone up there say it's not worth this year--crusty and thin. Can't imagine the skiing has been that good anywhere this year--sure you can ski, but the condtiions have to be the worst in a decade...I usually take a couple rides up to NE resorts in th witner (along with my week out in the Rockies) but going to pass this year unless there's a drastic change in the conditions, I'm sure others have canceled trips this year too...feel bad for the operators who are going to get taken to the cleaner this year--guess most places won't do myuch in the way of upgrades thus summer given the year over year decline in gate receipts.

Hey Pete, I completely understand. I've skied every single day except 3 since November 23rd. Only 3 days out of the last 80 or so days I have not been on snow... includes working and non-working days. I'll always be out there regardless... heck I just skied two laps in -45F wind chills on the firmest snow you can imagine.

But we don't always need to make it sound like its epic. I like to call it good when its good, and bad when its bad. This has not been a great winter, that's sort of the bottom line.

Hey Pete, I completely understand. I've skied every single day except 3 since November 23rd. Only 3 days out of the last 80 or so days I have not been on snow... includes working and non-working days. I'll always be out there regardless... heck I just skied two laps in -45F wind chills on the firmest snow you can imagine.

But we don't always need to make it sound like its epic. I like to call it good when its good, and bad when its bad. This has not been a great winter, that's sort of the bottom line.

You need to say it has been a crappy winter for New England... let it out

A not great winter implies maybe it is still good.

Too warm, too boring

ski butternut has had 35 inchs on the winter so far--cant remember a season that low....most who have gone up there say it's not worth this year--crusty and thin. Can't imagine the skiing has been that good anywhere this year--sure you can ski, but the condtiions have to be the worst in a decade...I usually take a couple rides up to NE resorts in th witner (along with my week out in the Rockies) but going to pass this year unless there's a drastic change in the conditions

I'm about 10 miles as the crow flies from Wachusett, and my house is north of and over 50 feet higher than their base area. I have received 34" this "winter", but 23+" of that was in October

You really have to have the blinders on to call this year even average...

Show me the quote where I've said it was epic. In just find the bitching repulsive. Lazy people make excuses for not chasing it. Not a great Winter that's for sure but no reason to sit and moan. The girls are finally ready so later. Here's epic. 1/28/12, AK. Krilo the go anywhere avalanche dog. Get out and get after it.

Yeah, the N Berks are in rough shape, even Savoy at 2K only had a few crusty inches last week. I hiked rather than skied.

The real shocker for me was driving up N last week and seeing almost no snow in St Johnsbury! Unheard of in February.

Have fun sitting inside for a few more months.

Nah, I've been outside more than ever this year enjoying the warmth-bike rides, walks, hiking, that part is great about a warm winter (hell, the state park near my house has great hiking-wit hthe lack of precip, the trails aren't even muddy ....just no skiing-not worth the trip to ski on crust/worst conditions in years.

Show me the quote where I've said it was epic. In just find the bitching repulsive. Lazy people make excuses for not chasing it. Not a great Winter that's for sure but no reason to sit and moan. The girls are finally ready so later. Here's epic. 1/28/12, AK. Krilo the go anywhere avalanche dog. Get out and get after it.

See now that looks epic...

But why find the b*tching repulsive? Just because someone is saying that stuff doesn't mean they aren't outside enjoying what they are given.

I wouldn't take every comment about how rough it has been to mean "I'm sitting inside all day long and refuse to go outside." The complaining makes you lazy arguement, I just don't get it. I can complain but I'm sure I spend more time outside wandering around the mountains than most people... just because Kevin says its been an awful snowfall year doesn't mean he's lazy; heck he runs 5-10 miles a day.

Even if I say its not that good, doesn't mean I'm not enjoying whats there. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. We all love snow so it doesn't really make sense to be cheerleading what might end up being the least snowiest winter in 15 years (up here).

Yeah, the N Berks are in rough shape, even Savoy at 2K only had a few crusty inches last week. I hiked rather than skied.

The real shocker for me was driving up N last week and seeing almost no snow in St Johnsbury! Unheard of in February.

Yeah... we had an ok stretch in January but we are back to "where's the snow?" At least on the east side of the Spine where I am and J.Spin are, we've had continuous snowcover for a while (similar reasons as to why Pete has snow cover tucked up against the east side; we get upslope and hold cold air in SWFE), but I can realize that this is fairly localized as the west side hasn't had anything for a while. BTV is going to have their worst winter in recent memory.

See now that looks epic...

But why find the b*tching repulsive? Just because someone is saying that stuff doesn't mean they aren't outside enjoying what they are given.

I wouldn't take every comment about how rough it has been to mean "I'm sitting inside all day long and refuse to go outside." The complaining makes you lazy arguement, I just don't get it. I can complain but I'm sure I spend more time outside wandering around the mountains than most people... just because Kevin says its been an awful snowfall year doesn't mean he's lazy; heck he runs 5-10 miles a day.

Even if I say its not that good, doesn't mean I'm not enjoying whats there. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. We all love snow so it doesn't really make sense to be cheerleading what might end up being the least snowiest winter in 15 years (up here).

There are those who simply are philosophically determined never to complain about anything. It's actually an admirable trait (and one that I cannot claim). It goes hand-in-hand with such traits as not boasting about one's own enviable circumstances and not flaunting them in the faces of those less endowed.

Edit: Not impugning you, PF, lest you take it that way.

Off and on pixie dust upslope here this morning. Slightest of dustings on the deck being blown around in the wind. We need the winds to turn a bit more westerly to get in on more of the LE/upslope action. I had an overnight low of 5.5° F, so it at least feels like it should at this time of year, even if it doesn't look like it.

I had about 2 weeks of consistent snow cover from 1/12 to about 1/26 or so. The remaining patches are becoming smaller and more isolated with each above freezing day we get. Snow depth peaked around 11" after the 1/12 SWFE and 1/13 upslope. Outside of Halloween, MLK weekend was definitely the best weekend around here for winter sports and snow lovers. Unfortunately, we couldn't hold on to it as well as areas just to my east, even if we had about the same amount of snow OTG initially.

First off, Snow is useless to me unless it is in MBY. Second, I don't like skiing. Third, do you think a lot of us can just get up and go to Alaska like you did? I'm just outta college and I'm not planning I don't have the money to wake up one morning and say " I think I'll go to Alaska for 2 weeks" (Nevermind trying to get that time off from work.)

If I'm going anywhere, I'm going international, like I'm planning to go to Guatemala or Peru in April or August. (If anyone has been to either, please PM me!!)

So that ignorant to call people lazy. I only like snow if its IMBY.

You are having a terrible winter there...yes...right there with the CP folk compared to climo. I just lost my snow cover 6 days ago and when I still had it I considered it a terrible winter and didn't try to spin it into an average winter or even half decent because I had snow cover from Jan 12 until then and ice on the ponds....that is something that happens every winter, thin snow cover doesn't make it decent...the winter is gauged by climo when determining where it ranks on the scales.

The disconnect is that Pete doesn't use climo as the main indicator, he uses is own level of happiness and fullfillment and as an upbeat guy with expansive resources....he is never going to have a "miserable" winter....or spring, or summer, or fall, for that matter. Remeber that the plea to distinguish your own personal sense of life from the grading of a season relative to climo is also applicable to the "happy" crowd, as well. If you say someone is biased because they are "miserable", you also maybe biased because you're "happy".

It must be weighted against climo.

You're a very happy guy......we appreciate that, Pete, but you still have to acknowledge how poorly this season has done relative to climo.

You are having a terrible winter there...yes...right there with the CP folk compared to climo. I just lost my snow cover 6 days ago and when I still had it I considered it a terrible winter and didn't try to spin it into an average winter or even half decent because I had snow cover from Jan 12 until then and ice on the ponds....that is something that happens every winter, thin snow cover doesn't make it decent...the winter is gauged by climo when determining where it ranks on the scales.

Yeah that's how I look at it. As I've said plenty of times, growing up in the Hudson Valley south of Albany... makes this look like a good winter. But I'm basing it what is normal where I am right now... I don't want to say, hey this has been a great winter because there's more snow on Mount Mansfield than there is in Burlington. Not a big surprise. You can't sit and say winter's been good on the East Slope because there's been more snow than Boston.

Sure the East Slope could have 4-8" of crusty snow on the ground (likely similar to down in town up here based on his pictures)... but that's what downtown Albany and Hartford should look like this time of year. We should be in the like 14-24" range in the hill towns, that to me would be climo.

But there is quite the fear of being grouped in with the coastal plain in any manner what so ever. It seems like as long as the East Slope has more snow than the coastal plain, it is a great winter.

There are those who simply are philosophically determined never to complain about anything. It's actually an admirable trait (and one that I cannot claim). It goes hand-in-hand with such traits as not boasting about one's own enviable circumstances and not flaunting them in the faces of those less endowed.

Edit: Not impugning you, PF, lest you take it that way.

This was well said...

Archived