• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

Only speaking for my area, and nobody else, but with the MJO modeled to quickly pass into phase 3, the AO expected to rise, is winter over down here?? It might be.

I'd say we're done. Sure we can get a fluke storm but as far as any change to sustained cold forget it. Indicies are going right back to where there were for the 1st half of this season, so I'd expect a mild run from here on out....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say we're done. Sure we can get a fluke storm but as far as any change to sustained cold forget it. Indicies are going right back to where there were for the 1st half of this season, so I'd expect a mild run from here on out....

I agree, can never rule anything out though. I am encouraged Don S is seeing some signs that point to a warm spring, we certainly have zero mud to worry about, we are bone dry actually. Hopefully the weekend brings some much needed precip.

LOL I simply asked why nobody was talking about the snow for tomorrow night, I never realized that people were so spoiled that snow not sticking was not worth watching..............LOL especially after all the snow we have seen this season. I will enjoy the wet mangled flakes.

LOL I simply asked why nobody was talking about the snow for tomorrow night, I never realized that people were so spoiled that snow not sticking was not worth watching..............LOL especially after all the snow we have seen this season. I will enjoy the wet mangled flakes.

Wet snow tomorrow night on sw winds? I doubt you'll even see snow.

I agree, can never rule anything out though. I am encouraged Don S is seeing some signs that point to a warm spring, we certainly have zero mud to worry about, we are bone dry actually. Hopefully the weekend brings some much needed precip.

I'm really not worried about spring. Summer could be a different story, but I'm kind of thinking we just see this approximate pattern extend into spring and with the SST's so warm even days with winds off the water will be 5 or 7 degrees warmer than a normal crap spring day.

The whole thing is feeding back on itself now. No snowcover, no cold water, spring I think may be nice, we'll see.

This period right now is an atomic failure. There were a lot of expectations broken.

I'm really not worried about spring. Summer could be a different story, but I'm kind of thinking we just see this approximate pattern extend into spring and with the SST's so warm even days with winds off the water will be 5 or 7 degrees warmer than a normal crap spring day.

The whole thing is feeding back on itself now. No snowcover, no cold water, spring I think may be nice, we'll see.

This period right now is an atomic failure. There were a lot of expectations broken.

Warmer waters will certainly help our cause, it will be interesting to see what happens once wavelengths shorten up. I have missed the winter of a lifetime back in SC....its been spring for months!

it's the wind direction that matters in the spring. whether the water temp is 37F or 43F doesn't make a whole lot of difference. if the flow is predominately westerly you have good weather - see 2010.

it's the spring seasons that are dominated by onshore flow that suck - especially when you get consecutive days of onshore flow where you start to moisten up the low levels and thickening the marine layer.

water temps are in the 50s in may / june...but if the flow is onshore...you're still stuck with temps in the 50s.

maybe the crappy weather is 43F and drizzle instead of 38F and drizzle - i could concede to that...but either of those choices suck. LOL.

Pete, please don't mistake what I said to you last night as a direct insult. I was merely retorting to your comments re people complaining which I took personally as someone who is not above telling it like it is, or sometimes like it isn't out of frustration. All I'm saying is I try not to judge other people and even though that may not be what you were doing it can come across as such and you see the reaction at times. IE, I think most of us know that's probably not the case, but when things get tough, life is hard, we're tired, frustrated after another non-event and seemingly weeks of nothing....people let loose wrongly or rightly. There's a lot of young struggling students, young mets and everything else, many are just trying to figure out where their next car payment is going to come from so when you and are debating the pros and cons of slopeside condo's at Sunday River vs ski trip to Alaska they probably have a hard time relating not knowing you and I were both like that at some point too.

For years some misunderstood..and to an extent some still do misunderstand my intentions when I post. The only reason I didn't get more crap the other day in being fairly negative at times during the event was that I was primarily the one being worst effect by the "negativity" and despite that I tried playing the devils advocate and in the end, it's not me and it would be like Kevin trying to be normal to negative, it will just never happen. I mean that well also, it's just who we are and I think 99.999% of the people here are great at heart, you included. What I have started to figure out is there are ways of making a point without it being in the face, and in the case of the storm the other day it was pointing out in precise terms how the 12z GFS was wrong, the 12z Euro (at the time) was more right, and that I'd never once seen a storm in my entire life where the bulk of the precip was off the coast deliver a meaningful snow in SNE. Two years ago I'd have handled it differently and maybe more people would have had a negative reaction. Trying to learn as I go that it's not just what is said, it's how it's said.

Anyway like I said, I enjoy the postings and the pictures. I think everyone does. I think everyone in the SNE forum has the very best of intentions are are very good people, aside of Jerry who's groundskeeper Willie'esque fascination with varminants has me frightened. (just kidding Jerry).

Good post.

Through yesterday BDL is plus seven degrees..lol what a joke this winter...that is with the "arctic" cold snap yesterday lmao............

anyone know how much above normal Jan was? we did have that one week of colder weather...

bdl for winter 12

dec+5.9

jan +5.5

feb on same pace.........

you may have to move north....your odds of seeing snow again seem to be dropping by the day.

Its truly incredible. The numbers that are coming out of the snowless torch of a winter are incredible, this is about as bad as it gets, and for some locales it is the worst (so far). History continues to be made, its fascinating.

There is nothing fascinating about 45F temps in January of Feb. That might be the most boring temp imaginable, unless there are 50kt winds to accompany it.

im speaking about the streaks and records that are being made. Its a hell of a lot more interesting than chasing snow for powderfreak

There is nothing fascinating about 45F temps in January of Feb. That might be the most boring temp imaginable, unless there are 50kt winds to accompany it.

exactly. i look to the winter months not just for snow and cold but also for excitement/storminess.if it's going to be +8F, be +8F with some squall lines ripping through...god or even a horribly torched coastal with some wind/flooding. if weather is your thing...this is the worst possible way to run a stretch of weather. mother nature basically skipped weeks and weeks of 'good climo' for weather fun.

i know we can get some good storms in mar-may but odds certainly go down.

there's nothing to talk about in this kind of weather. i don't give a crap that it's +7F for the month...there's no interesting conversation to have about it.

There certainly is no debate how incredibly boring the weather has been this winter, especially after the 6 week period last year that almost left one out of breath.

With a little over two weeks left of met winter.........

Since Dec 1st BOS has failed to reach freezing for a low 24 times.

BOS has dropped below 20 for a low 11 times.

Its truly incredible. The numbers that are coming out of the snowless torch of a winter are incredible, this is about as bad as it gets, and for some locales it is the worst (so far). History continues to be made, its fascinating.

time to figure out who is doing the worst based on their climo-snowfall and Temp departures-most of CT has the 10/29 event to pad totals a bit, w/o that, we're at 01-02 type totals 5-10 inches for most at best with +5 temp depatures...I think Boston is pretty bad in terms of snow totals since they had nothing for the October event...While not in SNE, Albany is pretty bad too

exactly. i look to the winter months not just for snow and cold but also for excitement/storminess.if it's going to be +8F, be +8F with some squall lines ripping through...god or even a horribly torched coastal with some wind/flooding. if weather is your thing...this is the worst possible way to run a stretch of weather. mother nature basically skipped weeks and weeks of 'good climo' for weather fun.

there's nothing to talk about in this kind of weather. i don't give a crap that it's +7F for the month...there's no interesting conversation to have about it.

What sucks is it wouldn't be that far fetched to have 8 more weeks of this.

:axe:

Exactly, I enjoyed the wind yesterday and today. Weather wise we have been in a rut. The death band was cool but that has been it. We got shafted Halloween region wise, not shafted since 6 inches was historic but comparatively. Even the very poorest winters gave excitement and Sultan material, this has just been as bland as can be. Yippee on temp departures, surely record breaking as LL and Snowman have pointed out probably a thousand posts together. Weather wise has to be the most boring I have seen.

Archived