joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

NorEastermass128

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50.2* here wonder how much warmer it would of been today if we had an hour or two of partly sunny skies. I also wonder how much snow we would of had if those shortwaves would have phased earlier but both are moot points. Maybe a couple chances next week as it looks like we have a shot or two around and after the 23rd. Probably another situation where it looks good, we get sucked in, then somehow finds a way to not snow at least excuse imaginable to quote tip.

Sorry to say but us in the mountains are right there with the coastal plain folk again. I don't know how much snow you've had in the last 30 days, Pete, but I'm guessing it can be counted on two hands. We had a decent run from Xmas through most of January (which in fact still came out below normal in snowfall at the ski area for January, despite some on here thinking we were buried in snow). Now we haven't seen anything measurable in like 10 days and the snow is tired, old, worn-out, and dusty looking from all the dry sand getting kicked around in roads and parking lots. I mean there's still around 8" on the ground in town but south facing slopes are melting out from the mild, sunny days of late and snowbanks are black from grime. Lovely.

I cannot imagine you have been all that more snowy than the northern Greens and up here, we are falling wayyy back below normal.

November: Well below normal snowfall.

December: Well below normal snowfall.

January: Just a little below normal snowfall.

February: Heading for well below normal snowfall

He has said many times that he doesn't care about climo. As long as there is snow on the ground and frequent bouts of at least weenie flakes he is happy. Others are not as easily satisfied, but most of southern New England has short winters that generally aren't severe, so keeping a little perspective helps.

50.2* here wonder how much warmer it would of been today if we had an hour or two of partly sunny skies. I also wonder how much snow we would of had if those shortwaves would have phased earlier but both are moot points. Maybe a couple chances next week as it looks like we have a shot or two around and after the 23rd. Probably another situation where it looks good, we get sucked in, then somehow finds a way to not snow at least excuse imaginable to quote tip.

It's amazing how warm it's been getting lately...the mid-February sun angle is becoming increasingly noticeable. I think we hit 45F here on the campus weather station, just a total torch day after day. 850s slightly below 0C aren't so cold anymore...the same 850s that might produce a high around freezing in December with snow cover are now producing highs in the mid 40s to lower 50s with the lack of snow cover and rising February sun.

It's amazing how warm it's been getting lately...the mid-February sun angle is becoming increasingly noticeable. I think we hit 45F here on the campus weather station, just a total torch day after day. 850s slightly below 0C aren't so cold anymore...the same 850s that might produce a high around freezing in December with snow cover are now producing highs in the mid 40s to lower 50s with the lack of snow cover and rising February sun.

Its strange because usually my temp isn't far off of CON at the airport but today I was more than 6 degrees warmer than them. At the time I saw I had cracked 50 they were at 44. I would be surprised if I was any more than 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the airport in concord so that's much bigger difference than normal, usually im cooler than them.

Nothing but rain still with a temp of 37, thought I heard some sleet pellets hitting the windshield while I was driving home from MHT about an hour ago but confidence is about as low as the chances of seeing some meaningful snow before this horrendous met winter is over. Although one silver lining I can take away is that it was warm and dry instead of arctic cold and dry. No sense freezing all winter only to have a storm come through rain heavily then cold moves back in on the backside of the storm. I have some horrible memories of those scenarios when I was young.

Its strange because usually my temp isn't far off of CON at the airport but today I was more than 6 degrees warmer than them. At the time I saw I had cracked 50 they were at 44. I would be surprised if I was any more than 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the airport in concord so that's much bigger difference than normal, usually im cooler than them.

Nothing but rain still with a temp of 37, thought I heard some sleet pellets hitting the windshield while I was driving home from MHT about an hour ago but confidence is about as low as the chances of seeing some meaningful snow before this horrendous met winter is over. Although one silver lining I can take away is that it was warm and dry instead of arctic cold and dry. No sense freezing all winter only to have a storm come through rain heavily then cold moves back in on the backside of the storm. I have some horrible memories of those scenarios when I was young.

Yeah some of those winters in the 80s were really brutal for New England with bitter arctic air but then little snow. 84-85 and 89-90 had some big cold shots but weren't that great overall, I believe.

Elevation is definitely helping here as I've been mostly snow...that last 800' of the atmosphere is killing you. It's not accumulating that much even in Rindge though with temperatures hovering around 34-35.

This is the worst winter I've ever experienced in New England. Just not the usual character of a New England winter at all. Clock is starting to tick too.

Yeah some of those winters in the 80s were really brutal for New England with bitter arctic air but then little snow. 84-85 and 89-90 had some big cold shots but weren't that great overall, I believe.

Elevation is definitely helping here as I've been mostly snow...that last 800' of the atmosphere is killing you. It's not accumulating that much even in Rindge though with temperatures hovering around 34-35.

This is the worst winter I've ever experienced in New England. Just not the usual character of a New England winter at all. Clock is starting to tick too.

Fortunately for all of us you'll be back in NYC next year and the jinx will be lifted.

This is the worst winter ever, bar none dating back to the 70s. Nothing has been this wall to wall warm, this terrible in terms of snow...this prolific in terms of number of full days above normal...none of this 55-60 crap at 1159pm or 1201am as a storm blows through.

Worst winter ever.

Song perfectly summarizes my thougts on this winter. Everywhere you go in Mexico this song is playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLd81IHGQw

This is the worst winter ever, bar none dating back to the 70s. Nothing has been this wall to wall warm, this terrible in terms of snow...this prolific in terms of number of full days above normal...none of this 55-60 crap at 1159pm or 1201am as a storm blows through.

Worst winter ever.

31/30, snow intensity is picking up again.

I can't believe you have 61.75"......almost 30" more than Will.

That number is going up as we speak.lol

Is the 30 inches for met winter, the lowest total you have ever seen there?/////////////////////////

If we finished with 30" it would be one of the worst. But Winter is far from over and more snow will surely fall. Hey, look, it's snowing right now!

Look closely though, 31 inches is from Oct 29th...the real total is closer to 30 which is pathetic for the berks

You all want to take that October snow away. You can't. It was snow, it fell from the sky, it counts.

Archived