Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/year-52089-february-weather.html

Folks in the agriculture industry are less thrilled about the warm weather. Roger Cobb, director of the Alamance County office of the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service, said, “There are a lot of plants blooming that really aren’t supposed to be.” That includes daffodils, irises and red maple trees, said Mark Danieley, horticulture agent. “That’s not my biggest concern, however.”

Danieley said he’s most concerned about the state’s fruit trees and grape vines. “If they bloom early and get a late frost … then we lose the crop,” he said. Danieley said the season’s late frost usually occurs in the middle of April. If fruit trees and grape vines start to bloom anytime in March, he said, “We could be in trouble.”

Cobb said he’s also concerned about the wheat production in North Carolina, since wheat has to have a certain amount of cold weather to produce seed. He said there’s some question as to whether the 800,000 acres of wheat in the state have experienced enough cold weather during this warmer winter, which farmers will soon discover.

“It’s a big deal,” said Cobb.

There will be a huge Eastern seaboard snowstorm that closes down I-95 from February 15-17. Bank on it.

"How can you be so sure, VC? You're no met and models look like dung - why do you think winter hasn't been canceled?"

I'm driving to Albany, NY then with a 4-month-old who hates a car seat, that's why. :axe:

Quality post. :lmao:

Well at least it's been cold somewhere. Alaska is having one of it's coldest winters ever, or at least january's. Given how cold january's are up there, you know it takes some real and persistent hardcore cold to get them to this point.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK

512 AM AKST TUE JAN 31 2012

...A COLD JANUARY FOR JUST ABOUT ALL OF NORTHERN ALASKA...

ALL OF NORTHERN ALASKA WAS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A PERSISTENTLY

COLD AIR MASS THIS JANUARY. WHEN THE TEMPERATURE RECORDS GET

CALCULATED AT THE END OF THE MONTH SEVERAL COMMUNITIES WILL HAVE

THEIR COLDEST JANUARY ON RECORD. THE COLDEST TEMPERATURE

DEPARTURES FROM NORMAL LIKELY OCCURRED ACROSS THE WESTERN

INTERIOR WHERE THE SKY WAS MORE PERSISTENTLY CLEAR...WHICH ALLOWED

TEMPERATURES TO REMAIN VERY LOW FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME.

AT NOME...THIS JANUARY WILL LIKELY END UP AS THE COLDEST ON

RECORD. THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF -15.4 DEGREES THROUGH YESTERDAY

MAKES THIS THE COLDEST JANUARY ON RECORD. TEMPERATURE RECORDS AT

NOME DATE BACK TO 1907.

AT KOTZEBUE...THIS JANUARY LOOKS TO END AS THE 2ND COLDEST SINCE

1929. THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF -21.9 DEGREES IS THE COLDEST

SINCE 1934 WHEN THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE WAS -27.7 DEGREES.

CONTINUOUS TEMPERATURE RECORDS AT KOTZEBUE DATE BACK TO 1929.

AT BARROW...THIS JANUARY IS EXPECTED TO END UP AS THE COLDEST

SINCE 1990 WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF -20.1 DEGREES THROUGH

YESTERDAY. THE MONTH WILL NOT END UP AS ONE OF THE TOP TEN

COLDEST. CONTINUOUS RECORDS AT BARROW DATE BACK TO 1921.

AT GALENA...THIS JANUARY WILL BE THE COLDEST ON RECORD. THE

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF -33.5 DEGREES THROUGH YESTERDAY WILL EASILY

ENSURE THAT THIS JANUARY SURPASS THE -31.4 DEGREES THAT WAS

OBSERVED IN 1971. WEATHER RECORDS AT GALENA DATE BACK TO 1942.

AT BETTLES...THIS JANUARY WILL END UP AS THE COLDEST ON RECORD.

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF -35 DEGREES THROUGH YESTERDAY WILL

SURPASS THE OLD RECORD OF -34 DEGREES ALSO IN 1971. THE RECORDS AT

BETTLES DATE BACK TO 1951.

AT FAIRBANKS...THIS JANUARY WILL LIKELY GO DOWN IN THE RECORD

BOOKS AS THE 5TH COLDEST ON RECORD WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF

-26.7 DEGREES THROUGH YESTERDAY. TEMPERATURE DATA AT FAIRBANKS

DATES BACK TO 1904.

IT IS LIKELY THAT MANY COMMUNITIES IN WESTERN ALASKA...AND

ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE WESTERN INTERIOR HAD THEIR COLDEST JANUARY

ON RECORD. THERE WILL BE MORE DETAILS ON THE COLD JANUARY EARLY

NEXT MONTH.

Currently an -83 degree windchill in nuiqsut.

<a name="content">Nuiqsut Clear -54 MM S10 29.73 -83

Cheer up guys and girls..........now that it's February it's only 9 months till November when we can start this all over again. We all know next year won't be as bad as this one has been and it will be here before you know it.

Also in 9 short weeks we'll be in the heart of severe weather season. I truly hope we can avoid the tragic loss of life, but I'm hoping for some storm chasing. Until then, remember in many areas of the mid-South March is actually the snowiest month. That March stat is big snows, not average snowfall. I'm not sure about the Deep South on that. I'm also not forecasting a big snow but simply noting the stats. Cheers!

Also in 9 short weeks we'll be in the heart of severe weather season. I truly hope we can avoid the tragic loss of life, but I'm hoping for some storm chasing. Until then, remember in many areas of the mid-South March is actually the snowiest month. That March stat is big snows, not average snowfall. I'm not sure about the Deep South on that. I'm also not forecasting a big snow but simply noting the stats. Cheers!

I am fascinated by severe weather. As an insurance agency owner though, part of my income depends on being profitable (in the form of profit sharing bonuses). When severe storms come along, I always hate to hear about any loss of life, but i also hate to hear about damage caused. This past April was horrible from a loss standpoint for insurers in the state of Tennessee. I lost out on a LOT of bonus money b/c of natures fury.

remember in many areas of the mid-South March is actually the snowiest month. That March stat is big snows, not average snowfall. I'm not sure about the Deep South on that. I'm also not forecasting a big snow but simply noting the stats. Cheers!

Three out of the top nine snowfalls at Nashville occurred not only in March, but in the 2nd half of March.

I brought this up before, but what exactly is the groundhog supposed to determine tomorrow? Six more weeks of spring before official spring?

And, by the way, if the fantasy storm at the end of today's 12z GFS run disappears by this weekend, I'm prepared to call a time of death for winter 2011-12.

So, the fantasy storm around 2/11 is still on board?

He was pretty good last winter. Everyone shows their ass sometime and he showed his pretty bad on Eastern (which I could have witnessed it first hand). I hold him a little above JB and DT since he most of the time is good about leaving the door open either way...but that CAD thing, how could he ever live that down. Talking trash on AmericanWx...well we've got Wes, Robert, Don S. (who NWS Philly used in a AFD for God's sake), Phil, Bob and a ton of others who are constantly on point. All he needs to do is read that Medium Range outlook on the main weather side.

I agree...I don't have anything against LC's talents but I didn't think it was professional to put down other mets just because they post here. He might be a good met but he lacks on the personality side.

I agree...I don't have anything against LC's talents but I didn't think it was professional to put down other mets just because they post here. He might be a good met but he lacks on the personality side.

Oh yeah, no doubt about that but you know in the end it's just hot air. Our mets speak for themselves (which is why I listed them) so he can talk all he wants all we care about is his thoughts on the weather anyways.

Alright everyone. I need some opinions here on the following...

The digital camera that I use to record my videos and post pictures of weather stuff on the board has recently died on me. I can no longer take good pictures outside in daylight and the videos are coming out rather fuzzy; a sign of a bad camera lens, especially the shutter part and is expensive to repair. The cost to repair JUST the shutter is $150; the same price as the camera itself before it went on sale for $70 and thus would be better off just buying a new one that can do so much more! Therefore if I want to keep doing what I did over the Spring/Summer seasons with my storm videos/pictures, I'm going to need a much better camera. I am thinking on investing a decent HD camcorder at an affordable price that can do certain things such as:

Capture things while recording (e.g. a lightning strike)

Has tolerable longevity in recording (prefer at least 2.5 hrs. without stopping)

Special effects such as time-lapse

Capability to keep excellent quality in pictures/videos in low light areas

Internal storage capacity of at least 30 GB (Optional, as I have plenty of SD cards but only one 8GB. Will also take any suggestions of camcorders that have both the SD and microSD slots)

Zoom of at least 40x

At least 12 MP for high end quality pictures (Not too worried about this part but definitely something better than 7 MP)

Record at night (optional)

I will appreciate any responses I get from you folks. Currently I'm quite low on money but plan to save up a good bit and hopefully will have enough by the time March rolls around. Keep in mind that while I did take the initiative to head out to stores such as Best Buy and Walmart, I honestly don't know how well certain brands perform compared to others and would not want to risk spending my money on a camcorder that has had a bad reputation with many people. There were a couple that I was interested in (one of them was a refurbished JVC HD camcorder for $179.99).

By the way, this video is a perfect example of what I'm looking for but I'm aware that whoever had this camera may be owning one that's pretty expensive but any other camcorder that comes close to this would be completely fine with me:

Alright everyone. I need some opinions here on the following...

The digital camera that I use to record my videos and post pictures of weather stuff on the board has recently died on me. I can no longer take good pictures outside in daylight and the videos are coming out rather fuzzy; a sign of a bad camera lens, especially the shutter part and is expensive to repair. The cost to repair JUST the shutter is $150; the same price as the camera itself before it went on sale for $70 and thus would be better off just buying a new one that can do so much more! Therefore if I want to keep doing what I did over the Spring/Summer seasons with my storm videos/pictures, I'm going to need a much better camera. I am thinking on investing a decent HD camcorder at an affordable price that can do certain things such as:

Capture things while recording (e.g. a lightning strike)

Has tolerable longevity in recording (prefer at least 2.5 hrs. without stopping)

Special effects such as time-lapse

Capability to keep excellent quality in pictures/videos in low light areas

Internal storage capacity of at least 30 GB (Optional, as I have plenty of SD cards but only one 8GB. Will also take any suggestions of camcorders that have both the SD and microSD slots)

Zoom of at least 40x

At least 12 MP for high end quality pictures (Not too worried about this part but definitely something better than 7 MP)

Record at night (optional)

Personally man I would save up more money and invest in a DSLR...if you are more into photos then video. The DSLR I use is a Pantex which cost around $500. Here is an example of the HD video it shoots:

You can easily buy a 64gb memory card for it or higher. The only down side to the Pentax and any HD video (from a Camera) is that it doesn't plug in it just uses battery so filming life is short (around 30 minutes) and with any camera filming duration in HD is going to be based on your memory and if it plugs in. 2.5 hours in 1080p can easily be like 10 gigs.

Here is a link to the Pentax I use

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-Digital-18-55mm-Navy/dp/B002PJ40RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328128429&sr=8-1

Yeah - if Cosgrove is calling for something, I usually bet on the opposite. That guy....

Not only is he abysmal at long range forecasting (and sure, he did well last year, nearly every storm system produced accumulating snow) but he's kinda creepy. I've had one or two comment interactions with him, but friended him mainly to see his forecast thoughts. I posted a pic of my then 6 month old daughter on facebook and he "liked" it.

If it happens again, I'm unfriending him. I'm sure its entirely harmless, but that's just poor social skills. If you don't know me, you shouldn't be liking pics of my daughter.

This always bothers me especially since I work in social media. Here is the thing, your pictures show up on other people's stream. Let's face it on Facebook you're not spending time on profiles. You're watching your stream. So when something pops up you simply like it, facebook is facebook because it's so easy to show your support for other people. I wouldn't take it personally or think it's creepy. Pictures always bring more likes especially "cute" pictures. More than likely because it was a picture it caught his eye and he liked it. TBH if you're creeped out by that don't put pictures up of your kids on facebook...or at the very least create lists where only specific people can view your pictures. You know how many times I "like" cute pictures of kids of people I'm just fans/casual friends of? It's just the way facebook works.

This always bothers me especially since I work in social media. Here is the thing, your pictures show up on other people's stream. Let's face it on Facebook you're not spending time on profiles. You're watching your stream. So when something pops up you simply like it, facebook is facebook because it's so easy to show your support for other people. I wouldn't take it personally or think it's creepy. Pictures always bring more likes especially "cute" pictures. More than likely because it was a picture it caught his eye and he liked it. TBH if you're creeped out by that don't put pictures up of your kids on facebook...or at the very least create lists where only specific people can view your pictures. You know how many times I "like" cute pictures of kids of people I'm just fans/casual friends of? It's just the way facebook works.

I guess I'm not friends with many people on facebook with whom I have no relationship. Cosgrove, and maybe a couple local/semi famous musicians... but pretty much everyone else I'm friends with on there I know in real life, or have a current internet/social media only relationship (relationship meaning we talk on a regular basis via twitter/forums/etc)

I guess it seems weird to me, because I wouldn't think to like something like that from someone I absolutely do not know from Adam. And - I don't really understand facebook's formula for something going into someone's feed, but I don't get stuff from people I don't have significant connections with come up randomly in my feed. This was before the stream thing that updates literally everything that's happening that now appears in the top right.

I hardly get on facebook anymore - maybe I should re arrange my privacy stuff. (EDIT I see that I originally said I posted the photo. I went back and checked, and it was posted by my sister in law) This was a photo from my brother's wedding, so I didn't actually post it (my wife is really not ok with it, but she allows it, because its easy for long distance extended family to see our daughter.

I guess I'm not friends with many people on facebook with whom I have no relationship. Cosgrove, and maybe a couple local/semi famous musicians... but pretty much everyone else I'm friends with on there I know in real life, or have a current internet/social media only relationship (relationship meaning we talk on a regular basis via twitter/forums/etc)

I guess it seems weird to me, because I wouldn't think to like something like that from someone I absolutely do not know from Adam. And - I don't really understand facebook's formula for something going into someone's feed, but I don't get stuff from people I don't have significant connections with come up randomly in my feed. This was before the stream thing that updates literally everything that's happening that now appears in the top right.

I hardly get on facebook anymore - maybe I should re arrange my privacy stuff. (EDIT I see that I originally said I posted the photo. I went back and checked, and it was posted by my sister in law) This was a photo from my brother's wedding, so I didn't actually post it (my wife is really not ok with it, but she allows it, because its easy for long distance extended family to see our daughter.

Sorry I should have clarified by stream I don't mean the upper right hand corner. I mean the actual Wall stream. That being said facebook has a very unique algorithm for what shows up on individuals walls. More than likely you check LC's wall a lot or check back on posts. It could also be that you and some of your relatives are both friends with LC. So when the picture was posted if it had a lot of comments FB naturally made the connection and felt it might be something LC would be interested in since two of his friends were involved with the picture (your kid and someone posting..etc..) so it showed up on his stream. In reality he probably saw it was a cute baby and just hit the like button since often cute babies invoke that.

All I'm saying is, don't read much into Facebook especially because of a like. Now if he starts commenting on every picture of your kid that is creepy.

This is also another reason why personalities need pages and not personal profiles. That would stop that right there.

Well since this Winter BLOWS, a few weeks back my wife won a cruise (Disney Dream suite) from her work at the annual company retreat, I had some vacation hrs to use, and my son had a few days that he could miss school, we decided to head down to Cocoa Beach for a couple days and then board the boat for a three night Bahama cruise.(Cape Canaveral-Nassau-Disney's private Island "Castaway Cay"-Cape Canaveral)

We're enjoying the nice temps here (74* atm), a little time in the waves, and waiting for the cruise to start tomorrow. Full concierge privileges await us with unlimited drinks in the private lounge and deck :sizzle: , along with an awesome water slide and golf simulator aboard the boat. I think I'm gonna enjoy some ice cream here in a bit like Dr Larry. :icecream: Here are a few pics from the beach. Enjoy and hopefully when we return, there will be something that will show up in the Mid range that actually verifies.

100_0177.jpg

100_0173.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0189.jpg

100_0190.jpg

Well since this Winter BLOWS, a few weeks back my wife won a cruise (Disney Dream suite) from her work at the annual company retreat, I had some vacation hrs to use, and my son had a few days that he could miss school, we decided to head down to Cocoa Beach for a couple days and then board the boat for a three night Bahama cruise.(Cape Canaveral-Nassau-Disney's private Island "Castaway Cay"-Cape Canaveral)

We're enjoying the nice temps here (74* atm), a little time in the waves, and waiting for the cruise to start tomorrow. Full concierge privileges await us with unlimited drinks in the private lounge and deck :sizzle: , along with an awesome water slide and golf simulator aboard the boat. I think I'm gonna enjoy some ice cream here in a bit like Dr Larry. :icecream: Here are a few pics from the beach. Enjoy and hopefully when we return, there will be something that will show up in the Mid range that actually verifies.

100_0177.jpg

100_0173.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0189.jpg

100_0190.jpg

Enjoy! You sure aren't missing much here.

False spring cometh... Black and blue salvia are starting to sprout, seeing daffodils in bloom along the sides of roads, and my sassafras tree is budding. Electric bill was 148 last month, half what it was a year ago same period. In the absence of p-type issues, this is about perfect for the heart of winter.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

False spring cometh... Black and blue salvia are starting to sprout, seeing daffodils in bloom along the sides of roads, and my sassafras tree is budding. Electric bill was 148 last month, half what it was a year ago same period. In the absence of p-type issues, this is about perfect for the heart of winter.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Ya crab grass is growing and there are buds starting to come out on things. We will pay for this weather.

Archived