northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 21st Snowstorm Obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last few winters hasn't mattered, but when the cold air dominates there can be massive differences between north and south plymouth. The heaviest stuff just never could get north today as cold air fed down.

Someone else can discuss later but to me the Euro probably wasn't as good as the last NAM. NAM did a better job picking up on the real tight banding, Euro kind of missed that and had a more diffuse area.

RUC continues to hammer the area for another 2 or so hours as we get the last pulse moving in from RI. If that happens...it's really been one of the best performances I ever remember from the RUC.

Thinking you can crack 8?

Needles and bullets FTL.

That's all we had here until the heavier stuff moved in, was awful.

---

Will be curious to see how the RUC does on the home stretch. Flake structure is not as favorable right now, don't know how to describe it. It's pouring snow, but finer snower. RUC would put down about .4" melted between 2 and 8pm. Lower ratios would have that as maybe 4-6" more...we'll see.

little brother is working hard...

wish we had more of an easterly wind component... most reports are N and NW in Boston metro

Yeah it's waning now. All day snow for maybe 4 inches. I'm happy now. 3rd snow of the week. This year, I have NC expectations which leads to joy any time it snows at all.

1.0" on the nose with 0.10" liquid from a snow core. 10:1 despite low 10F's.

I ended up with 1.7 There was a moderate band with excellent snowgrowth that came through after it looked like everything was coming to an end. Had really nice nickle to quarter size aggregates for a good 20 minutes or so that put down close to a half inch extra. Definitly branches piled as oppsed to mulched. Still spitting snow still but done accumulating.

Archived