• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 21st Snowstorm Obs

Baroclinic Zone

After surveying around the yard in the normal spots...9.5" would have done this justice if I'd measured properly, but I had 8.5" when I cleared the board and got about 3/4" after that for a total of 9.2" and I'm sticking with that.

Usually clearing the board would yield a higher total with today's conditions. Are you saying that when you measured around the yard there was 9.5" on average but in adding up your board measuements you had 9.2"? Seems odd.....personally I'd go with 9.5" since that's what fell but I know that clearing the board is an acceptable measurement.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roads where horrible this afternoon. Had to learn the turn into spinning all over again. 4WD helped but there where some real nuts on Rt128, 93...crazy people.

Ummm late start, hopefully late finish FTW!

2.5"

First and final.

Not bad Don. Roads were terrible down here.

Ended up with 5" myself. I see it in the latest PNS.

...BRISTOL COUNTY...

FAIRHAVEN 12.5 536 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

ACUSHNET 11.0 323 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

NEW BEDFORD 10.0 426 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

SOMERSET 8.0 410 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

SWANSEA 6.0 425 PM 1/21 NONE

NORTH TAUNTON 5.0 438 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

EAST TAUNTON 5.0 430 PM 1/21 SPOTTER

DIGHTON 4.8 430 PM 1/21 NWS EMPLOYEE

TAUNTON 4.5 307 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

TAUNTON 2.6 NW 4.2 330 PM 1/21 NWS EMPLOYEE

ATTLEBORO 4.0 320 PM 1/21 HAM RADIO

MANSFIELD 3.4 542 PM 1/21 SPOTTER

NORTH ATTLEBORO 1.5 1031 AM 1/21 HAM RADIO

Usually clearing the board would yield a higher total with today's conditions. Are you saying that when you measured around the yard there was 9.5" on average but in adding up your board measuements you had 9.2"? Seems odd.....personally I'd go with 9.5" since that's what fell but I know that clearing the board is an acceptable measurement.

I'm saying at least in the back location which is where I conduct most of my measurements I measured 8.5 and .75....the rest of the yard...there are spots with over 10", the average is probably about 9.5" but because I did not clear the board for about 7 or so hours from beginning to end...I probably lost at least a half an inch.

I'm generally going to be lighter. I just looked the PNS, they have 9.6 in sandwich and 9.8 in bourne....measured by NOAA employees (the bourne measurement is taken about 2 miles from me tops). I feel pretty good about the 9.2, the 9.5 would be solid as would the 9.7...but again the 9.2 was well measured, just didn't clear it as quickly as I should have.

There's about 9" up to about exit 3 on Rte 3, drops off very sharply on the other side of that.

Total snow imby today was 1.7 which, when added to the last two snow events brings me close to 8 inches during the last week. Most winters that wouldn't be too noteworthy but in this winter I consider that a FTW.

Interesting temp drop here in the last 45 minutes. Went from 15.3 to 9.5 obviously coinciding with the sky going clear and winds going to calm.

Not bad Don. Roads were terrible down here.

Ended up with 5" myself. I see it in the latest PNS.

As the storm unfolded (southern JP-er) it was 11th hour modeled quite well as Scott stated.

Very narrow strip depicted well in the PNS returns.

To have the children keeps one young at heart and act like a kid and get away with it! LOL

Lucky man. :thumbsup:

A litle OT,

My computer is still fried. I need someone with unix knowledge getting the bash.profile to update my $PATH to run GRADS and GEMPAK.

I have 16GB of RAM and only getting 4GB in diagnostic. Motherboard is toast, I did have the software running. Ever since I changed out the power supply the computer seems to have taken on it's own personality. Driving me nuts, sure will be nice getting some home grown model outputs.

Interesting how North Haven always has these huge over inflated totals.

Like last year one of the storms, North Haven was reported at 30 inches, the next town in line in New Haven county had like 19 inches.

8.1 inches for me though, yippee.

Yeah they need a new spotter because clearly the current one is a slant-sticker.

I'm saying at least in the back location which is where I conduct most of my measurements I measured 8.5 and .75....the rest of the yard...there are spots with over 10", the average is probably about 9.5" but because I did not clear the board for about 7 or so hours from beginning to end...I probably lost at least a half an inch.

I'm generally going to be lighter. I just looked the PNS, they have 9.6 in sandwich and 9.8 in bourne....measured by NOAA employees (the bourne measurement is taken about 2 miles from me tops). I feel pretty good about the 9.2, the 9.5 would be solid as would the 9.7...but again the 9.2 was well measured, just didn't clear it as quickly as I should have.

There's about 9" up to about exit 3 on Rte 3, drops off very sharply on the other side of that.

I hope you don't think that I was questioning your measurement. I've never understood that clearing the board method. It easily inflates totals when you have higher ratios but I know that it's a valid accepted measurement method. It's just hard to compare sites on storms like this.

I hope you don't think that I was questioning your measurement. I've never understood that clearing the board method. It easily inflates totals when you have higher ratios but I know that it's a valid accepted measurement method. It's just hard to compare sites on storms like this.

Nope I understood you were actually asking the other way around. Most of the time I try to go low. I'm very lucky I have two NWS employees very close to me which is helpful. The Bourne NWS employee came in at 10" in the final. I think Drag once told me as the crow flies that was about a mile from me, so it's a good gauge. I know people about 3-4 miles NNW that were closer to 8" in "south" plymouth...so there was a tight gradient of 10/11" at the Sagamore Bridge to 6-8" by Exit 3 on Rte 3.

It's funny Steve/Ginx and I just had this discussion the other day and it came to pass today. Plymouth and Bourne are massive lengthwise. There are parts of Bourne that are 20 minutes away from here south, and parts of Plymouth that are 20-25 minutes away north.

I do agree, I think the board clearing although the correct technical method of today makes it hard to compare storms from the 70s and 80s. We called in totals all the time that were used on air and I think by NOAA and we always measured storm total OTG.

But...anyway!

I view it as a learning experience

Well I mean most forecasts verified pretty well. We got 3.5 or so inches, I was thinking we'd get about 5 or 6 but a lot of people had 2-4 or 3-6 so it technically verified. You guys never looked like you were gonna get much thatfar up. I thought Pete would get more cause he always does somehow (slantstick). The biggest surprise was the weenie band. I thought the shore would get 7 or 8 (I think I called 7 for Ginxxx not sure what he got even though he's not on the shore) but I didn't think anyone would weenie out a foot.

8.5 inches in Newport, but windblown so might be a little more. It started around 730AM and ended around 430PM with about a 4 hour period of moderate to heavy snow with low visibility.

I've been wondering where you've been the last couple years!!! I wasn't a very happy camper last year with Newport getting screwed in every big event.

measured 10-10.5 in various protected spots in my yard. I am very exposed to easterly winds here on the east side of aquidneck island so difficult to get accurate measurements. TJ Delsanto on channel 12 had a spotter report 9.2 from portsmouuth, so probably not that far off

shocking IMO

they usually have the opposite of BDL bias

big gradient over providence area today. N prov. like 3 and change . Suprised BOS wasn't a bit higher. (ala mid 3's)

don't forget PVD is at the airport TF green in warwick RI about 5 miles south, in this set up that was about the northern edge of the band. so sounds about right

Archived