• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21st Snowstorm Obs

Baroclinic Zone

I checked and the low here was -7.1F. Gonna do a snow shoe this morning while I have this powder on top..... 1.5 mile route take from this property and ending at nature preserve nearby > http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/newyork/placesweprotect/easternnewyork/wherewework/eny-christman-sanctuary.xml

I can't help but remember all the posts about how the Pats game would be played in temps near 60 and there was no hope of ever seeing Winter this year. That was just a week ago. During the 7 day period immediately following all the doom and gloomers prognostications we've had 3 seperate snow events and many mornings well below zero. I put little stock in the "the sky is falling" forecasts. It's the dead of Winter in New England. We may have a brief mild spell but if I were betting money it would be on cold and snow to dominate overall. At least here.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While i am not ORH, i am about 13 miles north. We have a solid few inches of concrete underneath the snowpack and my yard isnt exactly shaded, it gets alot of sun. No way it all melts unless we hit the 50s for hours i think.The under 700 foot term thrown around drives me crazy because i am just under lol and that cutoff number seems to very rarely apply to me here.

Your latitude helps out and also..the cold loves to bank up against the hills which benefits your area..just to the east.

We should just be happy we have had some decent winter wx for once. I mean given what we just went through...it feels good to get some snow. Many people might lose their snow, but that's just how it is. Hopefully we'll get more in the next 5-10 days.

Bingo! Too much angst here. When you have a snowpack of 6 or less it's vulnerable. End of story and not worth worrying about. It will return soon hopefully. Stop and Shop has a parking lot pile 1/4 mile from me thqt will be going no where...lol.

Bingo! Too much angst here. When you have a snowpack of 6 or less it's vulnerable. End of story and not worth worrying about. It will return soon hopefully. Stop and Shop has a parking lot pile 1/4 mile from me thqt will be going no where...lol.

Exactly , nice to have 8 plus OTG. Beautiful night and morning, snow cover FTW

91bc5f91.jpg

While i am not ORH, i am about 13 miles north. We have a solid few inches of concrete underneath the snowpack and my yard isnt exactly shaded, it gets alot of sun. No way it all melts unless we hit the 50s for hours i think.The under 700 foot term thrown around drives me crazy because i am just under lol and that cutoff number seems to very rarely apply to me here.

Same here. We might get dinged, but no way is that lower layer going away anytime soon.

The city of Worcester is where the dividing line is most noticeable. Mostly because the 700 foot areas in the city are mostly on the north and northwest side and that part of the city holds snow and snow pack much better than the lower torch sections of southern Worcester or eastern parts near lake quinsig. Once you get north of the city in your area, latitude helps offset the elevation more efficiently because I think Sterling takes advantage of the CAD more with the hills protecting them to the southwest.

My aunt/uncle live on Rt 62 partway up the hill toward Princeton center not al that far past the Sterling line. Its amazing how well they hold the snow pack there even when they are a bit lower than me.

East Worcester/Shrewsbury/Quinsig area ftl :(

Bascally Lake Quinsig FTL...all those areas down around them at 400-500 feet stink compared to the surroundings. I've seen northern Shrewsbury be snow and ice covered while the areas near quinsig are bare ground. I'm sure you've seen it too...its most noticeable once up near the cneter of town and then contuing north on Rt 140 toward Boyalston.

What's up with the BOS total? Seems suspicious but maybe there were in between bands all day...I had well above that....close to 4 by eyeball.

Who knows. I came up with 3.9" Pretty sure I'm not off by an inch. I will say measuring got difficult since the winds kicked up..maybe that is part of it..and also the fact that there is no observer at Logan..it's the Winthrop total.

Archived