• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 event

Ian

but it's low is also stronger and it's low level winds are a little stronger which would suggest that the cold air erode a little quicker than the previous run. Still for guys near FDK, it's not a disaster.

Don't you know rule number 1 from the weenie handbook. Alway throw out 6z and 18z runs, not as much data is ingested.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS warmer but this whole thread is a LOL. whether its colder or warmer...the max snow we get form this is maybe 1/2 inch. We got that in 3 minutes in Feb 2010 storm

1/2" would almost double my seasonal total. and that took 2.5 months.

but it's low is also stronger and it's low level winds are a little stronger which would suggest that the cold air erode a little quicker than the previous run. Still for guys near FDK, it's not a disaster.

I hope it is cold at the surface....even if we go to sleet right away or start as sleet it will be a nice layer...This is DC proper

GFS_3_2012011918_F36_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

is 1/4" of ice really that nasty unless you're driving?

I've been through quite a few ice events. 1/4" is the low end of an ice storm warning, I believe. But that threshhold isn't too major. Hazardous driving conditions and widely scattered tree limb damage/ power outages. I had that twice in '08 and drove around the area taking pictures the same day.

0.5" I would consider major. Widespread travel problems/tree issues/ power outages. I think when you approach 0.75" you're getting into a crippling definition, and above 1.00" you get some devastation.

I've been through quite a few ice events. 1/4" is the low end of an ice storm warning, I believe. But that threshhold isn't too major. Hazardous driving conditions and widely scattered tree limb damage/ power outages. I had that twice in '08 and drove around the area taking pictures the same day.

0.5" I would consider major. Widespread travel problems/tree issues/ power outages. I think when you approach 0.75" your getting into a crippling definition, and above 1.00" you get some devastation.

sounds about right. it was sort of a rhetorical question. i think it's probably somewhat dependent on location as some places might get a .5" ice event every year where others get one ever 10 years or whatnot. it seems ice storms are always a source of what appears to be false "fear" from people on weather boards etc. everyone's like "OMG ice is so horrible" but in a vast majority of cases it's no more than an inconvenience. i'd argue an event like last jan is significantly more impactful than most ice events. even a .25" event generally equates to significantly less ice on roads. sure, no one probably wants a 1" event where you start to talk about losing power for a week but it's also really pretty in its own way...

0.5" I would consider major. Widespread travel problems/tree issues/ power outages. I think when you approach 0.75" you're getting into a crippling definition, and above 1.00" you get some devastation.

The last two ice storms that produced severe power outages were 1/14-15/99 (for NW suburbs) and 2/13-14/07 (for the SE suburbs). We've had freezing rain episodes since, even some 0.5" ice reports, but nothing to the extent of hundreds of thousands of power outages. Driving wasn't particularly difficult in either of those storms from the ice. If anything, it was the fallen tree branches that caused the most traffic hassles.

We rarely get air temperatures cold enough with freezing rain such that the rain droplets actually freeze on roads. Usually, the roads remain pretty much wet or crunchy, not glazed over. Late January 1994 had one such storm where some side road surfaces themselves were glazed as temperatures were in the low 20's. Otherwise, it's the untreated, elevated surfaces that get any ice accumulation. Super Tuesday, 2008, was one example where very light freezing rain caused the traffic debacle on the Mixing Bowl ramps.

sounds about right. it was sort of a rhetorical question. i think it's probably somewhat dependent on location as some places might get a .5" ice event every year where others get one ever 10 years or whatnot. it seems ice storms are always a source of what appears to be false "fear" from people on weather boards etc. everyone's like "OMG ice is so horrible" but in a vast majority of cases it's no more than an inconvenience. i'd argue an event like last jan is significantly more impactful than most ice events. even a .25" event generally equates to significantly less ice on roads. sure, no one probably wants a 1" event where you start to talk about losing power for a week but it's also really pretty in its own way...

Freezing rain is my favorite kind of rain. I like how any amount of icing makes the world look. The frost has been great here this winter, but that's been it since the October snow. Its Nina climo to have these events, its the time of year, and I am rooting for moisture on Saturday morning. I think it will be cold enough.

Archived