Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 21 event

Ian

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL -- look in MD... 0.25-0.50 QPF... WSW ice citeria for them this run

The last "real" ice storm in the area (2/12-13/08) had liquid equivalents of 0.75-1.5" across the area for a max of about 0.5" of ice thickness. 1/14-15/99 was about 1" liquid equivalent too. Those are major ice storms.. last year's was not.

I dont trust it at all...It just swung wildly in 6 hrs.....I realize it has better resolution and may handle certain features better, but I would definitely lean toward the Euro/GFS until we see them change

I generally agree with this. But I usually can tell the NAM is catching on when it stops putting an exaggerated rain shadow over my area, which it always does hrs 24-60. I'm sure the QPF is overdone, but I'd still lean toward it when its coming into line with other models on its precip fields, and hope it has the temp profile more correct since it should be a good short-range model.

The last "real" ice storm in the area (2/12-13/08) had liquid equivalents of 0.75-1.5" across the area for a max of about 0.5" of ice thickness. 1/14-15/99 was about 1" liquid equivalent too. Those are major ice storms.. last year's was not.

yeah that's a good point.. it won't all accrete even if that lvl qpf

smother yoda after he posts about a catastrophic ice storm

You ARE right about ice storms.. at least once a season, there's some flipout about a MAJOR impending ice event. I remember your statement last season-- that you stepped outside and couldn't even tell it had "ice-stormed" overnight.

Again, the last MAJOR ice storm we had was all the way back in January 1999. The Super-Tuesday ice storm (2/08) was pretty to look at, but it didn't really cause much disruption or power outages.

Edited to add: Although, they are kind of neat to track because more often than not, the transition to plain rain takes longer than forecast.

Well also a question of rates. Mod-heavy generally won't accrete well with near freezing temps. For people who want ice, they want a light rain for max accumulation of ice.

Exactly. In the 12/08 Ice storm up north, it was 27-29* for hours on end with just a steady rain, nothing heavy. Except it stayed at the steady to light rate overnight into the morning and i posted a few pics in the other thread. It would be tough to get that here except with the ideal set up..

You ARE right about ice storms.. at least once a season, there's some flipout about a MAJOR impending ice event. I remember your statement last season-- that you stepped outside and couldn't even tell it had "ice-stormed" overnight.

Again, the last MAJOR ice storm we had was all the way back in January 1999. The Super-Tuesday ice storm (2/08) was pretty to look at, but it didn't really cause much disruption or power outages.

That Jan 99 storm was brutal, i lost power for a week. There was another nasty ice storm i think in the early 80's when i was a kid because i remember i had to slide on my behind to get to the bottom of my block to get in my mother's car.

It's fun to look at, but no matter how optimistic you want to be and no matter how bad we want it....it's the NAM..it has swung wildy in six hours. It's exciting to look at, but the GFS is probably the way to go here. We all know how the NAM likes to do this, and yet we start going full Oscar Myer.

I'm right about most things. ;) But yeah.. ice storm flipouts are usually lol. I'll give some props to 1/2" ice but I remember driving around in more than that up north with little problem. Granted, it's dealt with different here. But even on the NAM the big problems are mainly bridges etc. I'm sure some large limbs / weak trees etc might come down too but nothing tragic.

Edited to add: Although, they are kind of neat to track because more often than not, the transition to plain rain takes longer than forecast.

I'd take a solid ice storm over a sleetstorm any day. Sleet is the worst precip type in the history of precip types.

Archived