Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has the post-frontal precip on Friday as well but has it more or less along the front. Bulk of the precip is probably rain, ending as flurries. Temp drops 15-20F with the fropa.

I've never liked trying to get snow from a front. The more interesting GFS play is the clipper it has a 120 hours. The euro hinted at something last night but wasn't quite as strong. That makes the clipper interesting as it wouldn't take much for the euro to flip to the GFS,

I've never liked trying to get snow from a front. The more interesting GFS play is the clipper it has a 120 hours. The euro hinted at something last night but wasn't quite as strong. That makes the clipper interesting as it wouldn't take much for the euro to flip to the GFS,

That is what i am talking about, snow for the Ravens game. That would be awesome if we could get an inch or 2 Sunday.

With this gradient pattern developing, the runs have really been alternating between quite mild and frigid cold. Farther north is going to do better in that. We're probably going to be stuck on the wrong side more often than not.

I think the frigid cold runs are dubious and suspect we are stuck on the wrong side more than the right. The latest CPC 8-14 has most of VA above normal and us barely in normal in terms of temps. That seems reasonable though I might bump the above north a little based on the lack of snow cover. They also have the pAC NW get we which seems likely.

I think the frigid cold runs are dubious and suspect we are stuck on the wrong side more than the right. The latest CPC 8-14 has most of VA above normal and us barely in normal in terms of temps. That seems reasonable though I might bump the above north a little based on the lack of snow cover. They also have the pAC NW get we which seems likely.

relatively speaking, it won't take much either way

we may be on the wrong side for one storm, that passes by draging the gradient south and gets us on the good side for the next system

I agree we will likely not be on the good side, but last night's Euro had us in -8C on Day 10, so who knows (to quote a phrase!)

amazing..every storm on the GFS long range is rain

And this will probably be the time when the models nail it. You know, when teens and snow are no more than a driver and a couple of three woods away, yet you have upper 40's and dry as a bone.

There is simply nothing at this point that could make this winter worse.......except what the GFS shows for the next two weeks.

relatively speaking, it won't take much either way

we may be on the wrong side for one storm, that passes by draging the gradient south and gets us on the good side for the next system

I agree we will likely not be on the good side, but last night's Euro had us in -8C on Day 10, so who knows (to quote a phrase!)

But being on the wrong side more often that not does not mean we get now shots of cold air. it's that they don't last and it warms prior to the stronger wave approaching. I that is the more likely scenario. Doesn't mean my assessment is right but with the Pacific ridge retrograding getting deep cold air into the mid atlantic gets more problematical.

I think if we keep our expectations low we'll be ok over the next 2 weeks. I think we get 1-2 flawed accumulating events. Snow to rain or rain to snow or mixed is one option. Another is something that doesn't hit the entire metro area kind of like yesterday. Some sort of north/south east/west gradient. I think any event would almost certainly be less than 3" and probably t-2". It would be nice if we could take advantage of the next cold air dump even if it is something at the end that changes to rain. A clipper would be ideal. But the default will be a bad pattern so as Wes and others have hammered home, a proper snowstorm with a good track is unlikely.

Archived