amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clipper track is virtually the same from 0z to 6z but the precip shield changed. Still too early to know where the stripe of snow will be. Fingers crossed for all of us to see some.

What is the ideal track putting let's say DCA in the bullseye? South of Richmond but north of VA/NC border? Just curious.

What is the ideal track putting let's say DCA in the bullseye? South of Richmond but north of VA/NC border? Just curious.

Wes or Ian may know better than me but that track is about right. These clippers can be so fickle with precip so any slight shift is big.

depends upon how weak or strong it is

if it's weak, probably between Richmond and Fredericksburg

if it's strong, probably south of Richmond

but H2O is correct; as fickle as they are and considering their tendency to always trend north in the last 12-24 hrs, the further south the better at this range in my book

depends upon how weak or strong it is

if it's weak, probably between Richmond and Fredericksburg

if it's strong, probably south of Richmond

but H2O is correct; as fickle as they are and considering their tendency to always trend north in the last 12-24 hrs, the further south the better at this range in my book

What hour are we watching for a clipper (on the 06z GFS?) Somewhere between yesterday and today, my head started spinning and i'm struggling to follow along.

What hour are we watching for a clipper (on the 06z GFS?) Somewhere between yesterday and today, my head started spinning and i'm struggling to follow along.

On 06z, precip starts to enter MD around 99hr and sticks around off and on until 114hr

Hard to feel confident these days, but the NAM did improve the chances for Thurs night (it would seem by a quick look). We'll see how it looks in a few minutes.

Hard to get a handle on chances this weekend. Nothing looks too good especially with the Euro not showing much. Who knows? I guess a chance is better than nothing.

Edit: After looking, I guess the GFS isn't so bad. Looks like moisture is available on the 700 maps, and the energy seems to travel on a good path.

Wes or Ian may know better than me but that track is about right. These clippers can be so fickle with precip so any slight shift is big.

The vort track is pretty good but having the surface low to our north is not and the gfs gives us around than .10 from the combined anafront event and the clipper. I may write up a CWG piece today on the combined "threats" The sweet spot in clippers is usually pretty narrow. After those two minor threats the pattern blows.

Looked pretty interesting to me.

Looked fleeting to me, but maybe a few flakes in the air? I guess that's something.

Looks like we're pretty close to the 0.1 line on two consecutive frames. Maybe we could eek out an inch or two. It would be nice with the cold air coming in behind it.

I'm further north than all of you so I could see a little bit more ;)

Looked pretty interesting to me.

Looked fleeting to me, but maybe a few flakes in the air? I guess that's something.

Looks like we're pretty close to the 0.1 line on two consecutive frames. Maybe we could eek out an inch or two. It would be nice with the cold air coming in behind it.

the NAM for Friday is majority rain, looking at the 6-hr precipitation maps gives it the look of an anafront but actually if you look more closely most of the precipitation falls ahead of the front and is out of the area before 850s get below 0.

the NAM for Friday is majority rain, looking at the 6-hr precipitation maps gives it the look of an anafront but actually if you look more closely most of the precipitation falls ahead of the front and is out of the area before 850s get below 0.

bummer - thanks for the input though!

Important analysis! Thanks!

bummer - thanks for the input though!

it's fast moving...you can't completely rule out one of those scenarios of a convective line of showers which transitions from rain to a very brief period of snow on the back edge....

I'm surprised no one mentioned the NAM regarding Friday morning

It has been mentioned by some (me too)

I thought the 12z run was a bit worse. It does show some precip after the 850's crash (little), and some after the surface falls below 32 (very little). I'm sure the trend will be continually worse, but who knows. I know the 6z run actually showed snow acc. in WV (allan's maps), but the 12 z shows none.

The vort track is pretty good but having the surface low to our north is not and the gfs gives us around than .10 from the combined anafront event and the clipper. I may write up a CWG piece today on the combined "threats" The sweet spot in clippers is usually pretty narrow. After those two minor threats the pattern blows.

yes, and if you look at the 10 Day forecast at 30mb from the Euro Stat site, it has the vortex sitting right over the Pole again

so it seems the Euro forecast of our wam up goes hand in hand with its 30mb forecast over the Pole....dag nabbit

http://wekuw.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/ec.php?alert=1&level=30&forecast=f240&lng=eng

though, there looks to be another warming starting on the other side of the Pole by Day 10 fwiw

it's fast moving...you can't completely rule out one of those scenarios of a convective line of showers which transitions from rain to a very brief period of snow on the back edge....

That is what I was thinking only if temps can crash fast enough before the precip shuts off.

yes, and if you look at the 10 Day forecast at 30mb from the Euro Stat site, it has the vortex sitting right over the Pole again

so it seems the Euro forecast of our wam up goes hand in hand with its 30mb forecast over the Pole....dag nabbit

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f240&lng=eng

though, there looks to be another warming starting on the other side of the Pole by Day 10 fwiw

The 30 mb temps are staring to drop again, they had gotten quite a bit above normal but now are forecast to drop and be approaching normal by the end of the 10 day period. Those temp drops increase the temp gradient and the 30 mb zonal winds increase. The toss in the -pna, a zonal pacific firehose, the biggest positive anomaly in the atlantic on the euro day 10 being near nova scotia where we want our low and it's not a pattern that inspires confidence but we do have our clipper for what it is worth.

Archived