amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clipper this run is strong enough for accumulating snow across MD (00z GFS). If the GFS is correct with the vort track, this could bring a widespread 1-3" across the DC-MD area. There I said it! :P

STATE OF THE SNOWPACK

We managed to eke out ONE DAY of snow cover in Dale City. There is still snow left on most northeastern slopes in the Dale City/Woodbridge region. I personally jebwalked past five of them this evening. Glendale Road in Glendale in Dale City is one of them, check out Glendale Road's residences just off Dale Blvd. THis is the usual suspect area for leftover snowpack. This snow managed to survive a 54 degree torch with sunshine!!!

The state of the remaining patches of snowpack is GRIM: More mild weather is on tap tomorrow and RAIN is on the horizon in this relentless zonal, Pacific airmass-filled La Nina pattern.

At least we got to enjoy 2 inches of snowy BLISS yesterday.

Clipper this run is strong enough for accumulating snow across MD (00z GFS). If the GFS is correct with the vort track, this could bring a widespread 1-3" across the DC-MD area. There I said it! :P

Thanks for the morale booster. Many of us in central MD missed yesterday's snow.

1-3" over the upcoming weekend along with cold/blustery conditions would be nice. I do realize, though, that trying to pin down a clipper's speed/strength/path from 5 days out is impossible. Hopefully, we at least see some flakes.

MDstorm

Thanks for the morale booster. Many of us in central MD missed yesterday's snow.

1-3" over the upcoming weekend along with cold/blustery conditions would be nice. I do realize, though, that trying to pin down a clipper's speed/strength/path fro 5 days out is impossible. Hopefully, we at least see some flakes.

MDstorm

That's a good way to go about this one. The track of that vort max is going to vary considerably run to run. There is some good potential for a wintry weekend.

Also, I would say there is some sort of a ZR threat Tuesday morning as well across the interior areas.

That's a good way to go about this one. The track of that vort max is going to vary considerably run to run. There is some good potential for a wintry weekend.

Also, I would say there is some sort of a ZR threat Tuesday morning as well across the interior areas.

very dissapointed that the Jan 20-30 period looks like a blowtorch now? What happened. We are running out of time lol

I remain highly optimistic that the MA will see snowfall (SECS). The signals are clear that the pattern is changing. The key is patience. It is a virtue that few have today. The other key reality is this winter was never going to be a blockbuster. Those that had those hopes and dreams were bound to be disappointed. The last full week of January through the last full week in February is our window this year, as with most year's.

The glass-half full person will be glad they get their 3-10 inches this lousy winter.

The glass-half empty person will complain they live in the MA and our winter this year seems like Spring.

Rest assured you will see snow DCA. It will not be a shutout.

February is my turf bud, btfo.

very dissapointed that the Jan 20-30 period looks like a blowtorch now? What happened. We are running out of time lol

:P

The MJO is now racing, IO SSTAs are dropping. After this brief tease it should reconfigure in the COD for about 10-15 days, before making the big final push late in the month. We'll see the signs on the pacific side first, the jet will buckle along with a disruption of the polar vortex leading to a powerful storm system(s) crossing the nation late in January which with a semi cut negative tilt in the trough will pull high heights into greenland entraining in the process without the flow to flatten it.

Favorable pattern from the very end of the month throughout most of February.

Still betting on this outcome.

the run is interesting so far in that there is some legit real deal cold in the gradient that will set up....I think we are in the mix for any of the threats starting Thu night/Friday as long as expectations are for flawed events....FWIW, euro has no clipper Sunday

Thanks, at this point i will take anything flawed or not.

Thanks, at this point i will take anything flawed or not.

This is my WAG and highly subject to change but I think we have 4 discrete threats

Thu night/Fri if we can get some -SN after the front..

Sunday clipper though Euro doesn't have it....but it does try to pop some energy not too far offshore

Next MondayTuesday...bad track but precip running into a wedge...so maybe snow to rain or some ZR

Day 8/9..coastal

then the pattern looks like it sucks

Archived